Old August 18th 04, 01:10 PM
Peter Breslin

Default Help Spending $1000 on SW Radio

Hello. I need help from the group. I'm looking to purchase a semi
high end radio and have about $1000 to spend. I've heard and read
plenty about the R8B and will probably go that direction. That said,
I'm also intrigued by computer radios, ie. Winradio. They have a 313i
model that some say has a greater ability and functionality than the
Drake or any hardware based radio. Any thoughts on a best buy in my
price range - new or Ebay? And do you think that computer radios may
now rival their external brothers? Thanks in advance for the consult.
Old August 18th 04, 02:23 PM
Ernie

"Peter Breslin" wrote in message
news
Hello. I need help from the group. I'm looking to purchase a semi
high end radio and have about $1000 to spend.

Thats more like....Upper Low end there bud! If you want Middle add another
two grand...If you want top of the line add another 6 grand to it!

Old August 18th 04, 02:30 PM
dxAce

Peter Breslin wrote:

Hello. I need help from the group. I'm looking to purchase a semi
high end radio and have about $1000 to spend. I've heard and read
plenty about the R8B and will probably go that direction. That said,
I'm also intrigued by computer radios, ie. Winradio. They have a 313i
model that some say has a greater ability and functionality than the
Drake or any hardware based radio. Any thoughts on a best buy in my
price range - new or Ebay? And do you think that computer radios may
now rival their external brothers? Thanks in advance for the consult.

I will most likely have an R8B for sale in the coming weeks either here or
on eBay, the encoder needs to be fixed as it has a few 'issues' with it,
and I have the part ordered from Drake.

The receiver is in excellent condition otherwise, and has had a tuneup
from Drake within the past two years.

dxAce

Old August 18th 04, 06:10 PM
martybeansuc

"Peter Breslin" wrote in message
news
Hello. I need help from the group. I'm looking to purchase a semi
high end radio and have about $1000 to spend.

Save yourself from spending $1000 on a shortwave radio.

Doing such would be a VERY foolish thing to do.
There is simply **not** a SW radio I know of that is worth that
kind of mobey - period.

Get yourself a Tecsun digital SW and it will do all you
need it to do for under $100. (see links below)

Old August 18th 04, 06:13 PM
dxAce

martybeansuc wrote:

"Peter Breslin" wrote in message
news
Hello. I need help from the group. I'm looking to purchase a semi
high end radio and have about $1000 to spend.

Save yourself from spending $1000 on a shortwave radio.

Doing such would be a VERY foolish thing to do.
There is simply **not** a SW radio I know of that is worth that
kind of mobey - period.

There are certainly very many of us who would disagree with you!

We're willing to spend our 'mobey' for performance.

dxAce

Old August 18th 04, 06:39 PM
Ken

I have a radio for sale. It is not working very well, it is broken. It has
issues. It needs to be fixed, otherwise it is in perfect condition. It has
had a tune up from Drake within the last two years and hasn't worked since.
Make me an offer. $1000 sounds about right. I will only ship to stupid
people that don't know how to find me, because I know you will be really mad
at me for selling you this radio. In the mean time I will try and have the
radio fixed. If I can't have it fixed I will sell the peice of crap for
$1000. Call me if your interested.

Old August 18th 04, 06:42 PM
dxAce

Ken wrote:

I have a radio for sale. It is not working very well, it is broken. It has
issues. It needs to be fixed, otherwise it is in perfect condition. It has
had a tune up from Drake within the last two years and hasn't worked since.
Make me an offer. $1000 sounds about right. I will only ship to stupid
people that don't know how to find me, because I know you will be really mad
at me for selling you this radio. In the mean time I will try and have the
radio fixed. If I can't have it fixed I will sell the peice of crap for
$1000. Call me if your interested.

Wow, another 'tard heard from...

dxAce

Old August 18th 04, 07:07 PM
T. Early

"martybeansuc" wrote in message
groups.com...

"Peter Breslin" wrote in message
news
Hello. I need help from the group. I'm looking to purchase a

semi
high end radio and have about $1000 to spend.

Save yourself from spending $1000 on a shortwave radio.

Doing such would be a VERY foolish thing to do.
There is simply **not** a SW radio I know of that is worth that
kind of mobey - period.

Get yourself a Tecsun digital SW and it will do all you
need it to do for under $100. (see links below)

Meaning no disrespect to the Tecsun, how is it that someone who I have
no recollection of ever having posted here before has such a
definitive view on the value of higher end radios? I'd like to know
since I've been saving for 2 years for a used Drake R8 and presently
have $96.12 in various coins, mostly pennies. Am I wasting my time?

Old August 18th 04, 08:24 PM
Brian Hill

"T. Early" wrote in message

[...]

It also takes talent to operate a high end radio properly and once you learn
to tweak the controls right the experienced listener knows were that extra
money went. I've always been a DX hound and utility listener and no Tecsun
is going to cut it for my needs.

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian