Old August 22nd 04, 09:28 AM
Gray Shockley

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 02:58:27 -0500, Ron Hardin wrote
(in article ):

The usual hum source is nonbypassed diodes in the wall wart, which
provide a nice RF ground when they conduct and none when they don't,
thus changing the antenna system 120 times a second when there's an
instant that they're all not conducting at once.

Even if you ground the radio yourself, they still change the antenna
system, though usually it matters less the more grounded the radio is.

One test is whether the hum changes if you hold a hand on the radio,
improving its RF ground a bit.

The fix is a wall wart with bypassed diodes,

I've got six or seven wallwarts from TadioShack and have never had a
problem.

or NiMH batteries, which
are good enough these days so you don't really need the wall wart.
Just swap a battery set when needed.

Absolutely, we use NiMH on my wife's radios which are liable to be
anywhere in the entire household.

Except: I just don't like doing that with AA's cuz they're so small (in
"playtime") that I don't like jerking them in and out so often.

So I use a "C" cell "battery holder" from RShack and one of their $3
cords and plug the thing into external DC power.

Ron's probably already figured out why I specify "C" cells rather than
"D" but in case anyone is wondering, 2 or 3 sets of rechargeable "D"
cells cost a buncha $$$. If ya got no problems with spending $$$, find
out who is a good electrician in your area and get him/her to run you a
dedicated and filtered/shielded outlet(s) for your radio gear (and
another for your computer gear as long as you're going to the bother
[grin]).

++ Gray //

Old August 22nd 04, 10:25 AM
Ron Hardin

Gray Shockley wrote:
So I use a "C" cell "battery holder" from RShack and one of their $3
cords and plug the thing into external DC power.

Add a fuse to the line; they can start a fire if something shorts at the radio end.

Presumably it matters less if the batteries are internal to the radio.
--
Ron Hardin

Old August 23rd 04, 04:09 AM
uncle arnie

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 04:18 pm -0600 UTC, Ken Wilson
posted: %MM

uncle arnie wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 08:14 am -0600 UTC, Ken Wilson
posted: %MM

What are you listening with?
--

I was using a Ten-Tec RX340 & a Kenwood R-5000. Same results from both. No
I did not have the noise blanker on. No Hum on the other stations either.

I find it hard to believe I am the only one who thinks their transmitter
quality stinks. Reminds me of one of the religious stations on the lower
bands. HHHHHUUUUUMMMMMM.

Ken KG4BIG

Good receivers. Pretty weird. I can hear RCI signals with no hum in north
central Cda (not in the target area even for CBC northern service), but
there's no interference to speak of with all services buried and no
tranmissitters between us and the north pole, underpopulated US for 1000's
of miles to the south, 700 miles west to anything substantial and nothing
of consequence until Newfoundland and Europe to the east.
--
-