Old August 21st 04, 09:12 PM
dxAce

Default Coast Guard 8983

Does anyone know who/what the RTTY station on or near the Coast Gueard
frequency of 8983 is?

I've noted it operating there the past few days.

dxAce

Old August 23rd 04, 12:02 AM
Ken Wilson

Did you get any clues on this ?

I have never DX'ed the QRM. Someday I think I would like to.

Ken

Old August 23rd 04, 12:14 AM
dxAce

Ken Wilson wrote:

Did you get any clues on this ?

I have never DX'ed the QRM. Someday I think I would like to.

Received a couple of replys via the WUN mailing list, but no one else really
seems to know either.

Apparently the RTTY on 8993 shows up every few months, but I myself don't
recall hearing it.

There is also another RTTY station up on 8996 or so.

Both appear to be some encrypted material, and so far I've not heard
anything as to the identity.

Perhaps someone will turn up with some info.

dxAce

Old August 23rd 04, 12:24 AM
dxAce

Ken Wilson wrote:

Keep us posted.

Will do. I'm still curious as to who is trying to stake a claim on the
frequency.

dxAce

Old August 23rd 04, 12:45 AM
dxAce

Ken Wilson wrote:

Keep us posted.

One other thing I was looking for today was some activity on either 8998 or
9032 out of Antarctica.

Years ago there was quite a bit of activity on 8998 (or 8997 at the time) out
of Auckland, NZ in support of US activities in Antarctica.

Since that time I understand that that frequency has become secondary and 9032
has become primary.

Flights out of Auckland (and perhaps other sites) should begin soon as the
seasons shift.

While monitoring 9032 I did come across quite a bit of British activity on
9031, and it sounds like an interesting frequency to monitor. Comms with
apparent NATO aircraft, and some weather reports for a location in Italy.

Years ago, as I stated, I monitored 8998 (it may have been 8997 at the time, I
think they shifted a bit since then) for Anatarctic activity quite a bit, and
once on a DXpedition I was rewarded by actually hearing a helo on the ice at
the South Pole. That was an interesting reception.

With regards to 8998 and 9032, if I recall correctly a lot of the activity
occurred during the very early morning hours here in the Eastern USA.

Here is a site for some Antarctic stuff, though it has not been updated
recently:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...ntarctica.html

dxAce

Old August 23rd 04, 10:30 AM
Mark

I heard some activity on 8997, on July 20 this year, 08:12 UTC.
Sounded like helicopter traffic. This may have been NASA Quest at McMurdo
Station.

Air-to-ground service is provided by the US Navy for McMurdo Station now.
It's usually active from October 1st until February 25th (some seasons,
McMurdo maintains primary watch until March 1) on 8998 and secondary of
11255.

Their airspace is everything south of 60 degrees.

My apologies if you already have this info.

Mark.

Old August 23rd 04, 10:47 AM
dxAce

Mark wrote:

I heard some activity on 8997, on July 20 this year, 08:12 UTC.
Sounded like helicopter traffic. This may have been NASA Quest at McMurdo
Station.

Air-to-ground service is provided by the US Navy for McMurdo Station now.
It's usually active from October 1st until February 25th (some seasons,
McMurdo maintains primary watch until March 1) on 8998 and secondary of
11255.

Interesting. That Antarctic web page shows 11256, but perhaps they have shifted
down one. Have to remember that.

My problem is that I'm rarely up late enough to listen for them these days.

Old August 23rd 04, 11:16 AM
Mark

The latest USAF FLIP Supplement (Aug 05, 2004, Antarctica) list these freqs
for McMurdo:

9032, 11256, 5726.

McMurdo also monitors distress freqs 2182 and 4123.

Mark.

Old August 23rd 04, 11:22 AM
dxAce

Mark wrote:

The latest USAF FLIP Supplement (Aug 05, 2004, Antarctica) list these freqs
for McMurdo:

9032, 11256, 5726.

McMurdo also monitors distress freqs 2182 and 4123.

Thanks for the updated info.

dxAce

Mark.

"dxAce" wrote in message

Ken Wilson wrote:

[...]

Coast Guard Searching For Boaters Off Egmont Key I Am Not George CB 4 October 18th 04 03:23 PM
Coast Guard Band Usage Question Moonraker Scanner 2 August 11th 04 05:17 PM
Coast Guard 8983 Michael Shortwave 4 August 10th 04 01:55 PM
Malin Head Coast Guard Radio Recording Robert Maskill Shortwave 0 April 3rd 04 04:27 PM
"ANARC" : What Does It Stand For ? (Next To A Coast Guard Freq) Robert11 Scanner 2 March 16th 04 11:17 AM