Old August 23rd 04, 05:31 AM
Jim Hackett

My discone works BETTR than my 60ft. random wire or my slinky di-pole.
Believe it or not. Makes no difference to me...

"BDK" wrote in message
In article k.net,
says...
I use a discone on my VR-5000 and PCR-1000. They work well for me from

900
down to WWV at 2500.

"Gene" wrote in message
Getting ready to purchase a ICOM 8500, and as I live in a community
where a long wire would be out of the question, I have been told that
a discone will work quite well for my monitoring activities, and will
be rather hard for the grumpy neighbors to see, as compared to a beam,
etc. etc.... . Any comments on this? How high should I install it.
Probably cant go over 15 or 20 feet at the most. I intend to use some
type of telescoping mast, so when one of our Florida hurricanes comes,
I can "bring er down"! Since the antenna will be coupled to the mast,
will I still need to ground it? (I know thats probably a really stupid
question, but it seems as if the metal mast would take a lightning
strike (God forbid!) to the ground, rather than into the house..(??)
A neighbor of mine has a little discone up around 15 ft., and uses it
to transmit on the 6 meter (or is it 20 meter) bank. Works quite well,
he says. Thanks in advance for any info

"Works well" is relative. Compared to about any other antenna, a Discone
really is a poor performer at VHF, let alone SW. But, compared to NO
antenna, it works well. A 40 ft piece of wire on the attic floor should,
and almost has to blow it away on SW. On scanner freqs, the simplest
ground plane is amazingly better than a discone.

BDK

Old August 23rd 04, 07:41 AM
BDK

In article .net,
says...

"Gene" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I don't. Not that it matters to me either. You may want to check
your coax though...

BDK

Old August 24th 04, 02:43 AM
CW

Could happen. If the radio is prone to overloading and the disc isn't to
much for it and the others are, it would work better.

"BDK" wrote in message
In article .net,
says...

Old August 24th 04, 02:43 AM
dxAce

CW wrote:

Your coax needs to be groounded at the (outside) house entrance by code.

Whose code?

dxAce

Old August 24th 04, 06:37 AM
BDK

In article , "CW" no adddress@spam
free.com says...
Could happen. If the radio is prone to overloading and the disc isn't to
much for it and the others are, it would work better.

"BDK" wrote in message
In article .net,
says...

"Gene" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, my old Yaesu FRG-8800 didn't like my huge Slinky Dipole at all,
Even with a ton of attenuation, the ever lovin nearby country station
was twanging away in the background on any strong signal. I ended up
chopping about half of it off on each side, and with a tuner, and an
AMBC killer I threw together (about 40 DB down at 1560KHZ), it was
tolerable.

I haven't played around with either radio he's using on the discone with
good results, but from what I've read, neither one likes a lot of
antenna..

BDK
Old August 24th 04, 06:59 AM
m II

dxAce wrote:

CW wrote:

Your coax needs to be groounded at the (outside) house entrance by code.

Whose code?

Bureaucrats never rest.

http://cablingdb.com/Standards/570/570Main.asp

http://www.engineeringharmonics.com/papers/s_vc.htm

This site mention some rule numbers
==============================
Antenna systems add yet another dimension to the electrical code,
especially if the access point or antenna will be mounted outdoors. For
the most part, you need to be concerned with the grounding of the outer
conductor of antenna transmission line (coaxial cable) when the antenna
is placed outdoors. Pay careful attention to the proper grounding
distances, bonding, and soil conductivity.

This is to prevent and reduce the effect of surges produced by lightning
strikes. Article 810 covers 'Radio and Television Equipment' while
Article 820 covers 'CATV and Radio Distribution Systems' in the NEC.
Also note the guidelines for conductors entering a building in Article
800 part II. With the rapid expansion of both consumer and enterprise
grade wireless devices, the electrical code has some catching up to do
and more detail on WLAN may be covered in the 2005 version.

http://www.isp-planet.com/fixed_wire...2004/code.html
=====================================

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

..let the cat out to reply..

©Densa International
'Think tanks cleaned cheap'
Old August 25th 04, 02:43 AM
CW

NEC.

Old August 25th 04, 02:46 AM
dxAce

Must not be applicable around here, I've never had a single problem when any
inspector has come around.

dxAce

CW wrote:

NEC.

Old August 25th 04, 05:04 AM
CW

Unlikely they know the code outside of standard building practice. I do
believe that they can require more but not less than NEC.

"dxAce" wrote in message
Must not be applicable around here, I've never had a single problem when

any
inspector has come around.

dxAce

CW wrote: