Old August 23rd 04, 11:29 PM
Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt

Default AOR AR5000+3 as a SW and BCB AM receiver

I have an opportunity to replace my Drake R8B and RS Pro-2042 at a
reasonable cost with the +3 and the SDU5600 spectrum display.

I currently use the Quantum Pro loop for MW, Wellbrook ALA 1530 for SW & MW
and AOR SA7000 from 30 kHZ up. My location is a top (3rd) floor cement and
steel loft in city center close to a medical center and a TV broadcast
tower. So the location is challenging to say the least.

What can I expect if I go for the +3? I also have a Sat 800 for casual SW
listening but its MW is pretty bad.

Thanks for your help.

MvBB

Old August 24th 04, 01:08 AM
Jack Painter

"Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt" wrote
I have an opportunity to replace my Drake R8B and RS Pro-2042 at a
reasonable cost with the +3 and the SDU5600 spectrum display.

I currently use the Quantum Pro loop for MW, Wellbrook ALA 1530 for SW &

MW
and AOR SA7000 from 30 kHZ up. My location is a top (3rd) floor cement and
steel loft in city center close to a medical center and a TV broadcast
tower. So the location is challenging to say the least.

What can I expect if I go for the +3? I also have a Sat 800 for casual SW
listening but its MW is pretty bad.

Well Margaret, the AOR 5000+3 is certainly a neat toy, but it's not going to
improve, if it matches at all, the R8B's performance. The AOR will only scan
at less than 1/2 the speed of the Pro-2042 and search at less than 1/6th the
speed of the 2042. Now maybe havinng all your eggs in one basket is what
you're looking for, but remember, the AOR radio can only do one thing at a
time. ANYONE in the scanning hobby knows that FIVE SCANNERS is more than you
need but certainly not nearly as many as you want. So giving up your scanner
for one that is a dog by speed comparisons, and the HF side arguably no
better if as good as the Drake R8B, would not be a good choice for me. The
Grundig would get the heave-ho in any trade-off I contemplated. Your mileage
may vary.

Jack
Virginia Beach VA

Old August 24th 04, 07:45 AM
ken chattenton

HI Margaret, all,
I have an opportunity to replace my Drake R8B and RS Pro-2042 at a
reasonable cost with the +3 and the SDU5600 spectrum display.

Don't forget the 'AR5000' as been upgraded to the MK2 version now. Just in
case you had not realised.
If you look on the 'AR5000 group' one of the members is selling a new
SDU5600.
Hope this helps, cheers, Ken, G4KIR.