Old August 28th 04, 05:03 PM
Robert11

Default JRC NRD 545 vs AR 5000 ?

Hello:

Anyone care to compare the pros and cons of the
JRC NRD 545 (several years old by now) vs the new AR 5000 ?

Which would you get ?

Thanks,
Bob
Old August 28th 04, 09:36 PM
Telamon

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Hello:

Anyone care to compare the pros and cons of the
JRC NRD 545 (several years old by now) vs the new AR 5000 ?

Which would you get ?

The NRD 545.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old August 29th 04, 04:00 PM
J&D Schnoor

I had an AOR AR5000 that I bought used and sold for what I bought it for.
They are a great receiver for scanning. I bought the optional CTCSS board.
I can't really speak to the performance below 30 mHz. If you want a high
end scanner, don't care about the lack of DPL decoder, buy the AR5000 and
the optional CTCSS decoder. If you need trunk-tracking and some of the
other high end features, buy a Uniden Bearcat BC796 and then a separate
shortwave radio. Needless to say, one of the shortcomings of an all-in-one
receiver is you can only monitor one signal at a time. Do you plan on
scanning below 30 mHz or tuning in shortwave broadcasts? The Icom IC-8500
may be an okay job, but it cannot be fitted with a CTCSS board. I also know
of some people that just go out and buy an amateur transceiver, but just use
the receiver portion. I don't know if any of those have all the features
you need, but there are some sound to light transceivers that do pretty
well.

Jim

Old August 31st 04, 01:48 AM
Mark

I don't have any experience with the AR 5000 but I do have an AOR scanner
(an old AR 1500 which is still superb!).

However, for HF listening, I would go for the NRD-545. In fact I did, I
received it four days ago. So far, I'm blown away, a fabulous radio.

Mark.

"BDK" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Old August 31st 04, 03:31 AM
mike0219116

I was faced with this same choice about a month ago and I went with the 545
with the VHF/UHF converter that goes up to 1.99GHz (with cellular
frequencies blocked). I'm happy with my decision since it does well on HF
and it seems to be fairly sensitive above 30MHz. I paired this receiver
with a AOR discone. There really isn't much to listen to around here above
900MHz, but it's nice to have that coverage "just in case". The 545,
however, has the scan speed of a dead turtle, IMHO.

I have an Icom R-20 that goes a little above 3GHz that I use as my main
scanning unit.