Old March 26th 04, 08:23 AM
justtis

Default Kenwood 5000...Symptoms

Finally pulled my '5000 out of storage to have another look at it.
Still looks the same but sadly still works the same as the day it was put in
storage two years ago. Sounds like a PLL problem?
Here are the symptoms:
It sounded kind of like a hissy crackle on top of the voice, and could
be heard in both FM and AM modes.
On sideband (upper or lower) the voice was also distorted. This added
feature came and went intermitently for the last day, then nothing. It
died, leaving dots where the frequency readout should have been. The
battery reads 3.5 volts(ok), and the clocks are working just fine.
Pressing LSB,USB, CW, AM & FM, changes the modes but still no reception.
However there is a kind of rushing noise in FM mode. When you push the CW
key(going from FM mode) a very brief crackle can be heard then nothing.
I also noticed that the radio seemed to be running quite warm before it
quit but maybe this is normal for a Kenwood. Maybe the power supply?
Just thought I'd post these symptoms in the group hoping that some of the
answers will help those with similar problems.
Anyway thanks for your time.

Old March 26th 04, 02:39 PM
Dave Holford

justtis wrote:

[...]

MY R-5000 has always run hot when plugged into the wall. I normally
operate it on 12VDC and it runs cool. The power supply is the culprit
and my understanding is that this is a characteristic of the R-5000.

The problem sounds like the PLLs. I had a similar, but not as extensive,
problem which was cured by re-alligning the PLLs - If I recall correctly
only two of them had drifted with age.

While I was in there I checked my Lithium Cell and removed the wax from
the VCOs, neither of which seemed to have any effect but the PLL
adjustment cured the problems and it now runs fine.

Dave
Old March 26th 04, 09:19 PM
Paul_Morphy

"justtis" wrote in message
I had explained to them initially that I had already eliminated the

potting
compound problem, and that most likely it would just need an alignment.
The most time consuming part of their task had already been done for them.
It's not exactly a BMW...it's not as well made as my Icom R-71A and the

Icom
does an excellent job.
Just trying to cut my losses.

Can you get the alignment instructions? Maybe someone at a local ham club
can help you align it. It can't be that hard. If all it needs is alignment
and you've cleaned up the corrosion, you may get off with an hour of labor,
too. Really, that's not a lot of money for a good radio. I'm surprised it's
not as well made as the 71. I had a 71 briefly and I thought it was kinda
tacky. The only Kenwood stuff I ever had was a T-599/R-599. They were funky,
but I guess I expect that of import consumer gear.

"PM"

Old March 26th 04, 09:28 PM
Dave Holford

justtis wrote:

Two responses: one from the customer service rep and the other from the
service department, both "at the same dealer". Prices are in Canadian
dollars BUT they sure seem a little unreasonable.
At those rates it'll be sold on an "AS IS" basis.

Hi
This is come with R-5000's and TS-440's. The repair cost will be $210 as the
VCO unit needs to completely cleaned and realigned. Kenwood used an epoxy
and in time this corrode the components in the VCO section. The only problem
on the R-5000 we can not fix is if the keypad is intermittent. Kenwood
discontinued this part and we can not fix this. It should like you do not
have this problem so anything else we can do. If you want the lithium
battery replaced, this will be an extra $30 for parts.
Customer Service

Hi.
Our service charges are $70.00 per hour, plus parts, return shipping and
taxes where applicable. We also charge $70.00 plus return shipping and taxes
on all refused estimates. This is for the time spent evaluating the repair
costs. If the estimate is approved, there is no additional charge for having
performed the estimate above the cost of the repair.
Once the repair is completed, we will contact you with the total
charges, including freight and applicable taxes.
The problem with your unit is a common one. The PLL has become unlocked.
Depending on the severity of the problem you could be looking at $300 - $400
to fix it. This is a worst case scenario and could be less.
Service Department

All of the epoxy compound was carefully removed by myself, Q7 and Q8
replaced, an attempt made to align the coil (L16) and it still has the same
symptoms. Exorcism next?
Sure wish there were cheaper rates for service!
I've checked on the original manufacturer of the PLL chips and apparently
Kenwood bought up ALL of the discontinued line. Anyone for a game of
MONOPOLY?

I don't know about that 'epoxy'. From what I read it was wax, and when I
opened up mine it was indeed wax. Following the suggestions of others I
softened it with a hair dryer and removal was relatively easy, but time
consuming - especially getting under the transistors - using a small
pair of tweezers. However, even with nice clean VCOs there was NO
DIFFERENCE in the unlock problem.

It turned out to be simply a matter of realigning the PLLs - different
board - and only required a small screwdriver, DMM (although I have
better, I used a $16 Canadian Tire meter because it was small and
convenient) and the instructions from the service manual. Took less than
a half-hour and totally solved the problem. No more dots, no more
distortion. It's been running fine for a couple of months now on all
modes.

Dave
Old March 27th 04, 03:14 AM
Brian Denley

Dave Holford wrote:

It turned out to be simply a matter of realigning the PLLs - different
board - and only required a small screwdriver, DMM (although I have
better, I used a $16 Canadian Tire meter because it was small and
convenient) and the instructions from the service manual. Took less
than a half-hour and totally solved the problem. No more dots, no more
distortion. It's been running fine for a couple of months now on all
modes.

Dave

Dave:
Did you go by the service manual or did you get the instructions from
Kenwood? Do you still have them?

--
Brian Denley

Old March 27th 04, 04:00 AM
Brian Denley

Dave Holford wrote:

Service Manual

Dave

Good to know. I have that manual
Thanks

--
Brian Denley

Old March 27th 04, 07:59 AM
RHF

JUSTTIS,

One of the 'common' FIXES for many Kenwood R-5000 Receiver
problems is to open up the radio.

Remove the mounting Screws for the various Circuit Boards (CB)
and "Clean" the Mating Surfaces between the CB's Pads and the
metal frame of the radio.

MATERIALS: Use an 'electrical contact cleaner' that is applied
to a "Q"-Tip to Rub & Rub and Clean the Contact Areas.

CAUTION: Do Not Spray the 'cleaner' on or into the radio.

HOW TO: Do one Circuit Board at a time

* Un-Secure the CB.

* Clean the Mating Contacts of the CB.

* Re-Secure the CB.

* Test the Radio.

* Then go to the next CB and begin again.

AFAIK: This simple process seems to solve about 1/3 to 1/2 of
these 'pesky' Kenwood R-5000 problems.

NO Science - Just a lot of detailed work and time - No Cost )

Kenwood R-5000 is the last and the best of the Full Coverage
Communications Receivera made by Kenwood.

hth ~ RHF
..
..
= = = ...

Old March 27th 04, 09:01 AM
justtis

Just partial to the Icom. It's a larger set making the keypad easier for
me to use. Also the keypad is designed for a right handed person like
myself.
I have a new service manual for it. Sure is worth checking with some of
the local ham clubs for help with the alignment. That thought never
occurred to me. Thanks!

Old March 27th 04, 02:23 PM
justtis

Thanks to all who responded to this post. Very helful. Fine example of a
ShortWave group!
"RHF" wrote in message
om...
[...]

.