Old August 29th 04, 10:45 AM
Arthur Heely

Default BBC World Service Schedule

I've tried to get a BBC World Service schedule from the BBC Web Site
but don't find North America listed. The closest I find is directed
to the Carribean. Am I looking in the wrong place or the the BBC not
direct broadcasts to North America?
Old August 29th 04, 12:37 PM
Don Brady

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:45:19 GMT, Arthur Heely wrote:

I've tried to get a BBC World Service schedule from the BBC Web Site
but don't find North America listed. The closest I find is directed
to the Carribean. Am I looking in the wrong place or the the BBC not
direct broadcasts to North America?

Not officially any more but try 5975 in the evenings and you will be fine.

Old August 29th 04, 12:41 PM
dxAce

Arthur Heely wrote:

I've tried to get a BBC World Service schedule from the BBC Web Site
but don't find North America listed. The closest I find is directed
to the Carribean. Am I looking in the wrong place or the the BBC not
direct broadcasts to North America?

The BBC no longer targets 'North America' specifically. Having said that,
many of the other broadcasts are certainly audible in North America.

dxAce

Old August 29th 04, 03:18 PM
David

The BBC World Service most definitely targets North America, just not
on HF Radio. There is a North American Service available on the
Internet and on Satellite Radio and, as I recall, on an audio
subcarrier on C-Band TVRO.

Old August 29th 04, 03:29 PM
Diverd4777

In article , Don Brady

Subject: BBC World Service Schedule
From: Don Brady
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:37:17 -0400

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:45:19 GMT, Arthur Heely wrote:

I've tried to get a BBC World Service schedule from the BBC Web Site
but don't find North America listed. The closest I find is directed
to the Carribean. Am I looking in the wrong place or the the BBC not
direct broadcasts to North America?

Not officially any more but try 5975 in the evenings and you will be fine.

In an RF Free area,
12.095 works well in the afternoons ...

Old August 29th 04, 07:11 PM
Tom Randy

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:18:05 +0000, David wrote:

The BBC World Service most definitely targets North America, just not
on HF Radio. There is a North American Service available on the
Internet and on Satellite Radio and, as I recall, on an audio
subcarrier on C-Band TVRO.

Since this is a *shortwave radio* newsgroup, my guess is he was probably
refering to shortwave radio though.

I do get it on XM sat radio as well.

Old August 30th 04, 04:29 PM
David

The name of the NG is misleading. This is a ''DC to Daylight''
Newsgroup.

''This group is intended to be a place where ANY radio monitoring
topic can and
should be discussed. We are happy to hear from posters who listen to
any part
of the radio or microwave spectrum, from DC to daylight. We discuss
topics of
almost any kind, ranging from (but not limited to) shortwave
broadcasting,
DXing small or distant shortwave stations, utility and teletype
monitoring,
military eavesdropping, station schedules, QSLing sw broadcasters,
spectrum
usage, equipment design and modifications, antennas, receiver reviews
and
recommendations, and many more.

Despite what the newsgroup name might imply, we definitely DO NOT
limit
discussions to shortwave only. Any radio-related topics are welcome.
People interested in scanning VHF frequencies may find that the
rec.radio.scanner newsgroup more accurately reflects their interests,
and
people interested in pirate radio may want to check the
alt.radio.pirate
newsgroup, although this group seems to be more interested in building
small
FM transmitters than in hearing distant shortwave pirates.''

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/radio/monitoring/introduction/

Old August 30th 04, 05:03 PM
starman

David wrote:

The name of the NG is misleading. This is a ''DC to Daylight''
Newsgroup.

Yes, but there are more appropriate groups for radio interests other
than shortwave.