Old August 30th 04, 03:05 AM
G. Ashba

Default Another introduction

Hi folks- I=B9ve been an on-and-off casual SWL for almost 40 years, since I
built a Heath =B3Star-Roamer=B2 when I was about 14. I was active for several
years until I got sidetracked by THE GIRLS! I pretty much forgot about
DX=B9ing till about10 years ago, when (now married and =B3settled down=B2) I foun=
a working Hallicrafters S-120 at a garage sale for $6.00. I couldn=B9t resis=
it, and with a truly CRAPPY antenna, used it for the next couple years to
listen to BBC, Radio Moscow and DW.
About a month ago, at yet another garage sale, (Can you tell I=B9m a
CHEAPSKATE??) I found a Realistic DX-300 in excellent condition for $7.00.
Now, I realize that this receiver isn=B9t in the same league as the iComs,
Ten-tecs and Drakes that most of you use, but for me it was a HUGE step up
and the price couldn=B9t be beat! I bought it, installed an improved (but
still insufficient) antenna, and now I=B9m hooked again! I=B9m logging the kin=
of stations that I could only dream of in years past, and expect that with
this groups kind guidance, my listening and DX=B9ing experience will only
become more enjoyable. Maybe I=B9ll even be able to make some worthwhile
contributions!
That=B9s my story and I=B9m stickin=B9 to it...
Thanks and good luck
Glen

Old August 30th 04, 05:31 AM
Eric Ferguson

Welcome back Glen! Hey, don't worry 'bout being a cheapskate. THAT I
understand. As long as you're enjoying yourself, that's all that counts.

My first radio was a Packard-Bell, (back in 1963) tuned 5.5-18 Mc's. About 8
years ago, picked up a Sony 7600D (Sony's first digital radio) for $10 at a
thrift store. Also have a Sony 2010, and a Sangean 909, as well as a Yaesu
VR500. And I'm STILL a casual listener (gotta put up a longwire one of these
days).

BTW, I'm about 30 miles from San Francisco(aprox 38N x 122W). What are you
near? And where are those garage sales? G.... Eric KA6USJ

Old August 30th 04, 07:21 AM
starman

Welcome to the group. I built a Star-Roamer for a friend in the 60's. It
was made by Knight-Kit. You certainly got a good buy on the DX-300.
There are quite a few mod's for it on the Net. Just do a Google search
for them. Some of the mod's for the DX-302 will work for your DX-300
too.

"G. Ashba" wrote:

Hi folks- Iıve been an on-and-off casual SWL for almost 40 years, since I
built a Heath ³Star-Roamer² when I was about 14. I was active for several
years until I got sidetracked by THE GIRLS! I pretty much forgot about
DXıing till about10 years ago, when (now married and ³settled down²) I found
a working Hallicrafters S-120 at a garage sale for $6.00. I couldnıt resist
it, and with a truly CRAPPY antenna, used it for the next couple years to
listen to BBC, Radio Moscow and DW.
About a month ago, at yet another garage sale, (Can you tell Iım a
CHEAPSKATE??) I found a Realistic DX-300 in excellent condition for $7.00.
Now, I realize that this receiver isnıt in the same league as the iComs,
Ten-tecs and Drakes that most of you use, but for me it was a HUGE step up
and the price couldnıt be beat! I bought it, installed an improved (but
still insufficient) antenna, and now Iım hooked again! Iım logging the kind
of stations that I could only dream of in years past, and expect that with
this groups kind guidance, my listening and DXıing experience will only
become more enjoyable. Maybe Iıll even be able to make some worthwhile
contributions!
Thatıs my story and Iım stickinı to it...
Thanks and good luck
Glen

Old August 31st 04, 02:11 AM
Pilotbutteradio

Welcome Glen,

Always nice to have someone in here who is on topic...what a concept. You
scored on that radio! Good find. When you are ready to sell it off, you will
make a nice profit. I think anyone who works for a living is probably a
casual listener! I would recommend grabbing the latest "Passport To
Worldband Radio" Publication so you can start looking for stations as
opposed to just spinning the dial at random. I was able to find mine at
Barnes and Noble....in stock. They also have the WRTH which is another good
publication. Enjoy and 73,

--
Dave,
746pro, FT-101, GE SR3, VX5R, 780xlt, Pro 95,

Old August 31st 04, 05:20 AM
G. Ashba

Thanks for the welcome Dave! As a matter of fact, I just got a copy of the
2004 Anniversary "Passport" the other day. I had been working with my old
1989 WRTH but it was too out of date for even a miser like me to deal with!=

I think I like the format even better than the WRTH. I was really REALLY
lucky to get a deal like that on that receiver! There were some awesome
bargains at that estate sale, and my wife and I bought a carload of stuff,
but that was the only piece of radio equipment there.
73s and good DX'ing to ya
Glen
----------
In article , "Pilotbutteradio"
wrote:

Welcome Glen,

Always nice to have someone in here who is on topic...what a concept. Yo=

scored on that radio! Good find. When you are ready to sell it off, you wi=

ll
make a nice profit. I think anyone who works for a living is probably a
casual listener! I would recommend grabbing the latest "Passport To
Worldband Radio" Publication so you can start looking for stations as
opposed to just spinning the dial at random. I was able to find mine at
Barnes and Noble....in stock. They also have the WRTH which is another goo=

publication. Enjoy and 73,

--
Dave,
746pro, FT-101, GE SR3, VX5R, 780xlt, Pro 95,
Pro 2066
"G. Ashba" wrote in message
.. .
Hi folks- I=B9ve been an on-and-off casual SWL for almost 40 years, since I
built a Heath =B3Star-Roamer=B2 when I was about 14. I was active for several
years until I got sidetracked by THE GIRLS! I pretty much forgot about
DX=B9ing till about10 years ago, when (now married and =B3settled down=B2) I fou=

nd
a working Hallicrafters S-120 at a garage sale for $6.00. I couldn=B9t resi=

st

-----=3D=3D Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =3D-----

Old August 31st 04, 05:21 AM
G. Ashba

Thanks for the welcome and the tip, Starman! Yep, now I remember that Star
Roamer was a Knight-Kit, and not a Heath. I did a Google on the DX-300 whe=
I first picked it up, just to see what info I could find on it, but I didn'=
spot any mods for it- I'll take another look and see what comes up...
73s
Glen
----------

"G. Ashba" wrote:

Hi folks- I=B9ve been an on-and-off casual SWL for almost 40 years, since=

built a Heath =B3Star-Roamer=B2 when I was about 14. I was active for sever=

al
years until I got sidetracked by THE GIRLS! I pretty much forgot about
DX=B9ing till about10 years ago, when (now married and =B3settled down=B2) I f=

ound
a working Hallicrafters S-120 at a garage sale for $6.00. I couldn=B9t re=

sist
it, and with a truly CRAPPY antenna, used it for the next couple years t=

listen to BBC, Radio Moscow and DW.
About a month ago, at yet another garage sale, (Can you tell I=B9m a
CHEAPSKATE??) I found a Realistic DX-300 in excellent condition for $7.0=

0.
Now, I realize that this receiver isn=B9t in the same league as the iComs,
Ten-tecs and Drakes that most of you use, but for me it was a HUGE step =

up
and the price couldn=B9t be beat! I bought it, installed an improved (but
still insufficient) antenna, and now I=B9m hooked again! I=B9m logging the =

kind

Old August 31st 04, 05:21 AM
G. Ashba

Thanks Eric-
I'm about 40 miles NW of Detroit, Mi. The garage sales are all over the
place, but I had to spend a LOT of Saturdays digging through tupperware and
baby clothes to come up with a deal like that one HAHAHA...
Glen

Old March 11th 11, 02:53 PM
Junior Member

I do have a couple of quibbles, however. The main one is the size of the SoundSaver's window. It can't fill the screen and that leaves you working in a needlessly cramped environment. This is least convenient when you're trying to zero in on a particular place in a sound wave so that you can accurately split a track. Although you can zoom the sound wave display, it's still a small area in which to work. I asked BIAS about this and the company said that the target user doesn't care about large wave forms--that they might be confusing to novices. That's possible. But assuming everyone benefits from an easy-to-use digitizing application, why limit those who face wave-form displays with no fear?
Old March 11th 11, 02:54 PM
Junior Member

In the Podcasts section you get a selection of audio programs, many from Trout Unlimited, discussing various fishing topics. The app will download the entire podcast before it begins to play, so Wi-Fi is recommended if you have it. I would prefer streaming audio, so that I could stop downloading the podcast if I decide I'm not interested. Podcasts save on your SD Card, so you can replay them later if you wish.
Old March 11th 11, 02:57 PM
Junior Member

For casual users, Norton can still be a bit much. The "activity map"--which shows where computer infections are taking place worldwide in real-time--is neat to look at, but it adds little for the user who just wants to make sure he can continue tending his FarmVille crops. For power users, however, all these bells and whistles can offer an immense amount of insight into the operation of your PC. Curious how your PC's performance is being impacted by Norton's operation? A detailed graph will show you what's happening to your CPU and memory when it's actively scanning and when it's idle.