Old August 31st 04, 12:21 AM
Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt

Default What's between 2 GHz and 3 GHz?

I'm thinking of getting an Icom IC-R8500 instead of the much more expensive
AOR AR5000 +3. So what will I miss between 2 GHz and 3GHz that is only
covered by the AOR?

Cheers,

Margaret

Old August 31st 04, 01:47 AM
Tony Meloche

Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt wrote:

I'm thinking of getting an Icom IC-R8500 instead of the much more expensive
AOR AR5000 +3. So what will I miss between 2 GHz and 3GHz that is only
covered by the AOR?

Cheers,

Margaret

Well, here's one possible way of looking at it: If you have no idea
what, if anything, is between 2 and 3 GHz (I admit I don't), you likely
wouldn't miss it at all. Just a thought.

Tony
Old August 31st 04, 02:07 AM

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message

Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt wrote:

I'm thinking of getting an Icom IC-R8500 instead of the much more
expensive
AOR AR5000 +3. So what will I miss between 2 GHz and 3GHz that is only
covered by the AOR?

Cheers,

Margaret

Well, here's one possible way of looking at it: If you have no idea
what, if anything, is between 2 and 3 GHz (I admit I don't), you likely
wouldn't miss it at all. Just a thought.

Tony

Ever been a parent? Hopefully not...

Cheers,

Margaret

Old August 31st 04, 02:53 AM
Micro MegaWatt

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/chp04chart.pdf

Shows "DC to Daylight" frequencies (USA)

--
One Watt

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism;
to steal from many is research.
-- Comedian Steven Wright

Old August 31st 04, 03:22 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message

Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt wrote:

I'm thinking of getting an Icom IC-R8500 instead of the much more

expensive
AOR AR5000 +3. So what will I miss between 2 GHz and 3GHz that is only
covered by the AOR?

Cheers,

Margaret

Well, here's one possible way of looking at it: If you have no idea
what, if anything, is between 2 and 3 GHz (I admit I don't), you likely
wouldn't miss it at all. Just a thought.

Not a lot to hear in that band. Some amateur TV, IIRC, but mostly it's
digital stuff.. WiFi (wireless internet), digital spread spectrum cordless
phones, newer digital spread spectrum cell phones, etc. I've never heard an
analog voice signal in that range.

Old August 31st 04, 03:33 AM
mike0219116

On my Icom R20, I don't think I've ever gotten anything but data bursts
above 1GHz. I certainly don't think I've picked up any cordless phones
above 924MHz.

Oh well, hunting for the signal is at least half the fun.

Old August 31st 04, 05:01 AM
Mark

I think you'll need a pre-amp, maybe a satellite dish too. That way you
could receive some satellite stuff, maybe TV audio, maybe InMarSat (but
that's all encrypted isn't it??? or digital???).

Mark.

Old August 31st 04, 12:11 PM
Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt

"Jim Douglas" wrote in message
2.1, 2.2, 2.3,,,,,,,,,,,,3.0GHZ. Sorry

Well Jim, maybe one of these days someone will ask a question about
lubricating their ass on RRS too. Then you get to comment as an expert.

Old August 31st 04, 12:24 PM
Al Patrick

Here's another one. This is all on one chart. It is VERY difficult to
read when first loaded, but is in .pdf format so you can magnify it
until you can read it.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.pdf

Al