Old September 4th 04, 06:42 AM
Conan Ford

Radio shack makes enough of a killing off the Grundig FR200's, especially
with recent weather events getting people in a panic, that I don't think
they care to stock other radios. As a local radio shack employee said to
me, with a bit of exaggeration, "these things [the FR200's] are the only
thing keeping the store profitable."
Old September 4th 04, 07:49 AM
Stereophile22

Why would any retailer stock a shortwave radio in this
day-and-age?

even in this day and age, shortwave radio is still the only way for radio
listeners to get the radio news directly from other countries, or to directly
hear each country's opinions about world events from the countries theirselves.

Old September 4th 04, 08:54 AM
Mike Terry

"Stereophile22" wrote in message
Why would any retailer stock a shortwave radio in this
day-and-age?

even in this day and age, shortwave radio is still the only way for radio
listeners to get the radio news directly from other countries, or to

directly
hear each country's opinions about world events from the countries

theirselves.

Absolutely agree, there is still a place for shortwave despite the internet.

Mike

Old September 4th 04, 09:17 AM
Frank Dresser

"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote in message

Perhaps if they stopped calling themselves Radio Shack, if they aren't

going
to sell RADIO's or RADIO parts anymore. As others have said, if all they

are
going to sell is cell phones, then they should change their name to Cell
Shack.

I'm annoyed with Radio Flyers.

They have nothing to do with radios.

They only fly one time.

Frank Dresser

Old September 4th 04, 09:41 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote in message

Perhaps if they stopped calling themselves Radio Shack, if they aren't

going
to sell RADIO's or RADIO parts anymore. As others have said, if all they

are
going to sell is cell phones, then they should change their name to Cell
Shack.

I'm annoyed with Radio Flyers.

They have nothing to do with radios.

They only fly one time.

I saw a movie a bunch of years ago where a kid flew one around the world..

Old September 4th 04, 10:20 AM
Frank Dresser

"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote in message

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

I'm annoyed with Radio Flyers.

They have nothing to do with radios.

They only fly one time.

I saw a movie a bunch of years ago where a kid flew one around the world..

"You've got questions, we've got circumlocution!" No, wait. That's
circumnavigation.

And, at one time, I used to think I knew what words such as "radio" meant.

Frank Dresser

Old September 4th 04, 07:37 PM
Steve

I'm baffled by the suggestion that shortwave has something to fear
from the internet. I mean, why is there a threat to shortwave and not
newspapers, magazines, FM broadcasting, movies, television or any one
of the dozens of other media out there that carry the same sorts of
information that one could, in principle, dig out from among a billion
web pages on the internet? I just don't see this often cited
"shortwave/internet" connection. In fact, I think the internet will be
good for shortwave. In my view, what has kept shortwave alive thus far
is the fact that it haa more interesting content than other mass
media. The internet simply makes this truer than ever before; for
while there is of course interesting info in the net, it's buried
under so much crap that you have to labor over google for hours just
to find one interesting tidbit. The internet could be the best thing
that ever happened to shortwave.

Steve

Old September 5th 04, 04:45 AM
Michael Lawson

"Frank White" wrote in message
In article ,

says...

Time to get real and stop whining.

In case you haven't noticed: SWL'ing, ham radio is dying...the

demand just
ain't there anymore!

(Heavy sigh) We go through this a lot.

Sure do. I remember having these same conversations in
1994, before the internet became THE INTERNET to every
Tom, Dick and Harry.

Condensed version: No, those mediums are not dying, and yes, the

demand
is still there.

As long as it costs a bit of cash to use the internet and
cell phones (not even counting extra for other things like
sending photos and whatnot), other outlets that are free
will continue to hang around.

The internet killed the dial-up bulletin boards and Fidonet,
but it hasn't killed CB, shortwave and other items yet. Hell,
even cable and satellite hasn't killed the radio medium
yet.

Why would any retailer stock a shortwave radio in this
day-and-age?

To make a profit?

Yes. Radio Shack has been for quite a while now the public
face to electronic specialty stores for the general public.
(When the general public gets familiar with Universal Radio
and Parts Express, I'll change my mind.) If you want something
that is specialty oriented, you think about Radio Shack. It used
to be (back when I worked a short stint there in 1991-2) that
when you got a VCR for Christmas, you went to Radio Shack
to get the cables and info on how to hook it up to the damn
multi cable Time Warner boxes. Same thing for cordless telephone
batteries and bulk telephone (and speaker and other) wire.
People who didn't know you could order woofers and tweeters
in catalogs knew that if you wanted to build a speaker, you could
go to Rat Shack to get parts. If your turntable needle needed
replacing or you needed other odds and ends, you could special
order them there. If you wanted to know about electronics,
your local manager (or someone on staff) tinkered in the stuff
you were asking about.

Nowadays, it seems that Tandy is getting away from that
because of the emphasis on cell/satellite/whathaveyou; their
main differentiator between them and their competition (the
in-house knowledge) is no longer there.

--Mike L.

Old September 5th 04, 05:44 AM
Sir Circumference

Frank Dresser wrote:

"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote in message

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

I'm annoyed with Radio Flyers.

They have nothing to do with radios.

They only fly one time.

I saw a movie a bunch of years ago where a kid flew one around the world..

"You've got questions, we've got circumlocution!" No, wait. That's
circumnavigation.

And, at one time, I used to think I knew what words such as "radio" meant.

Frank Dresser

It has been some time since I have gone to a RS for anything. The last
time I needed a micro switch. There was this very young girl who met me
at the door and ask if she could help me. I said to myself, "bet she
dosen't have the faintest clue what a micro switch is, but what the
hey". "Yes, I need a micro switch". She walks over to the cabinet where
they keep small parts, pulled open one of the drawers, reached into one
of the compartments, held up a micro switch and said, "will this do?".
Sometimes you get really fooled.