Old September 2nd 04, 03:44 PM
lsmyer

Default My latest Radio Shack experience

I've been keeping my eye on the YB400 which is being closed out at Radio
Shack. Last week, my local store still had one, and the price was $129.97.
Yesterday, I went in to check on the price, and they didn't have any left on
the shelf. In fact, there was other stuff in its place, and you couldn't
ever tell that the YB400 ever had been there. When I went to ask the
manager, she said that she didn't remember that radio because she had only
been there two months. Good excuse. So I tried to get her to look it up for
me on the computer. Of course, she asked if I knew its catalog number, and
of course, I didn't remember it. She messed around a bit, but she never
found it. I went home, found the catalog number (20-234) and called her
back. This time, she checked and said that they were out, but they could get
me one. I asked what the price was down to. She said $129.97. (Still too
high for what I was hoping to spend). Then she told me that I would have to
come in and pay in advance if I wanted her to order one of these from
another store. I said I'd let her know.

Old September 3rd 04, 12:46 AM
Mitch Cumstein

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 22:01:17 +0000, RonH wrote:

And your point is?

Whiner.

Old September 3rd 04, 04:54 PM
lsmyer

From 1973 to 1990, our local Radio Shack dealer (a franchise, not a company
store) was owned and run by a couple of retired military electronics
technicians. If there was anything I wanted to know about radio or
electronics, I'd go see them. They knew the Radio Shack catalog, how each
product worked, and were always up on the latest technology. So I got
spoiled.

Fast forward to 2004. That store is no longer in business (store burned,
owners retired), and my closest RS is a company store.

Fine, I can understand that their sales clerks might not share my passion
for radio. But it was the manager, not a clerk, who was so clueless. Not
only did she not know her own product, she didn't have a clue how to find
out anything about it either.

I was looking for the YB400, but I didn't know its catalog number. So I had
to leave the store, drive 14 miles to my house, and Google "Radio Shack
YB400" to get the number. Then I called her back with her own catalog
number, just to let her know how easy it was to find.

She lost her opportunity to sell to me twice that day. The first time was
when I left her store empty-handed, and the second was when I got online.

With managers like her, I don't see Radio Shack remaining a retail force
much longer.

Old September 4th 04, 02:19 AM
patgkz

Time to get real and stop whining.

In case you haven't noticed: SWL'ing, ham radio is dying...the demand just
ain't there anymore! Why would any retailer stock a shortwave radio in this
day-and-age?

Step into a Radshack store...what do you see? Stuff that makes them money:
cellphones, cell accessories, home theatre.....NOT SHORTWAVE RADIO....
DUGH.

If you want a freakin' radio so bad....get on the Internet and search one
out.

I'm sick of this "boo-hoo Radio Shack doesn't stock my favorite items like
they did 30-years ago" crap.

This is 2004, not 1974!

Do you see shortwave radio's in the Sears and JC Penney catalogues like you
did in 1974? Of course not! Why would the shack be any different? Why
would the Shack want to continue to cater to a bunch of cry-babies that want
an outdated product like a shortwave radio!

Get real.

Old September 4th 04, 02:59 AM
Michael

Excuse me, but you completely missed the point of the original post. If a
store *advertises* a product, they damn well better have it in stock and
ready for sale. As you obviously are young, you may not remember the days
when here was no such thing as the internet. Folks read a catalog, found the
nearest Radio Shack and usually came home with what they wanted. Yes, it's
2004, but not everyone's buying habits are the same. In fact, since we have
the internet, things like "Hamfests" and "Surplus Stores" have all but
vanished. More people out of work too.

Also, calling someone a 'crybaby' or 'whiner' because they miss the fine
service once provided by RS is way off the mark.

The former, yes, now older, Customers of Radio Shack are not shopping there
for specialty items like scanners, SW radios, etc. The main problem is the
lack of customer satisfaction at RS....they can't even help someone buying
speaker wire!

So, yeah...I'm a 'whiner'. I miss going to RS and getting good advice and
good products.
Michael - the crybaby

Old September 4th 04, 03:16 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"patgkz" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps if they stopped calling themselves Radio Shack, if they aren't going
to sell RADIO's or RADIO parts anymore. As others have said, if all they are
going to sell is cell phones, then they should change their name to Cell
Shack.

Old September 4th 04, 03:18 AM
Jim

i would say that your rat shack experience was a wonderful ray of
sunshine compared to what it could of been. take your scratches home and
be glad they arent lumps! we are like sheep, still returning to the
scene of disaster looking for long gone memories. i am like the
compulsive gambler loosing my money and saying "yes i know that the game
is rigged! but its the only game in town!" why do i keep going back to
rat shack?

Old September 4th 04, 03:40 AM
Kameron Spesial

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 11:16:19 +0900, "Brenda Ann Dyer"
wrote:

Perhaps if they stopped calling themselves Radio Shack, if they aren't going
to sell RADIO's or RADIO parts anymore.

Probably shouldn't call it Coke anymore either.
Old September 4th 04, 04:20 AM

wrote:

Perhaps if they stopped calling themselves Radio Shack, if they aren't going
to sell RADIO's or RADIO parts anymore.

Probably shouldn't call it Coke anymore either.

They not only still call it Coke, but they have trademarked it
and will agressively pursue anyone who tries to "dilute" it.

Funny thing -- the American Sign Language sign for Coke is a
reference to mainlining. I'm surprised they haven't gone after the
entire deaf community over this.