Old September 9th 04, 08:40 PM
Ron Hardin

clifto wrote:

Ron Hardin wrote:
You could pass any written test by memorizing the ARRL's License
Manual but code was apparently the killer for grownups.

Not the ARRL manual; it was that guy whose name I can't remember, who
published guides made up by paying testees to remember questions and
multiple-guess answers just after leaving the testing sessions.

No, the License Manual I think was from the ARRL. It's what
everybody used, and the questions matched, anyway I don't remember
any surprises.
--
Ron Hardin

Old September 9th 04, 11:10 PM
Michael

"4nradio" wrote in message
Michael,

Just in case you are not aware of these articles about using the IC-746Pro
as a SWL DXing rig, check out these informative piece:

http://www.kongsfjord.no Look under "The Dallas Files" and you'll see the
IC-746Pro review.

Great info. Thanx... I'm probably going to get one. :-) It looks to be
a supreme DX'ing rig.

Michael

Old September 10th 04, 12:51 AM
Michael

"Buzzygirl" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message
t...

I read a few links about the multiple choice tests for the tech license

and
I also saw a list of pool. My question is... How much of an ordeal is it

get set up to take the test itself ???

The Tech license study will take the average person about 2-4 weeks to get
through, depending on how much time you have. It is not a difficult test,
even if one isn't really technically inclined. The Tech study manual
covers
mostly basic material, and you won't need more than middle-school math
abilities to do the calculations required in the exam.

However, you won't be able to transmit on the SW bands until you upgrade
the General class. That's another whole study guide and test. The General
Class study guide covers much of the same stuff the Technician guide does,
but in more depth, and there is more about RF exposure and antennas. You
also need to pass a 5 words per minute Morse Code receiving exam for the
General license. Many people expect the Morse Code exam to be dropped in
the
near future, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the FCC to approve
its demise. Some people have taken both the Technician and General
licenses
at once. Each of these tests consists of 35 questions, and the test is
multiple choice. And the 5 wpm Morse Code test is really pretty easy to
pass
too.

There are good practice exams at the following websites: www.eham.net and
www.qrz.com.

The best study guides (IMHO) are the ARRL manuals. The Tech study guide is
the Now You're Talking! 5th edition, which contains lessons and the
current
test question and answer pools. The General Class Manual is also available
from ARRL, as are Morse Code practice CDs and tapes. Their website is
he
www.arrl.org/catalog.

Good luck!

Jackie

I'm going to pick up a copy of "Now Your Talking" and also see about
contacting a local ham club for the test. I'm going to prep for the Tech
and General because I really want to have acess to the sw/long range bands
too. I already know partial Morse code. I learned using a program called
NuMorse a few years ago. It took me about three weeks to be able to decode
by ear. The only problem is, I just learned the letters and not numbers or
punctuation. I didnt bother when them. I figured that the letters would be
good enough :-) Now, I'll have to go back to NuMorse and do all the numbers
and then, mix them in with the alphabet in quizz mode. I also never used a
key before. I just learned enough to listen to the ham bands and decode by
ear and not transmit. I can decode faster then 5 wpm, so I'm sure I can
pass the morse test after I mix in the numbers. I just need to learn
numbers now too. Shouldn't take me too long. I also had a look at some pool
questions. I was able to answer a lot of them already. Still... I need to
study up to pass... I was most worried about having to spend time with
clubs or groups... I dont have the time for that. After I prep, I just want
to show up, take the test and get out... :-)

Thanx again for the help !!!

Michael

Old September 10th 04, 01:02 AM
Buzzygirl

Michael,

You should do just fine on the tests. Good luck and I hope to hear you on
the air sometime!

73, Jackie

Old September 10th 04, 05:01 AM
Sir Cumference

Jari Savolainen wrote:

Don't waste your money on the license, it is just a formality. It's like
driving without one. No big deal.

Jari Savolainen

Until you get caught.

Old September 10th 04, 08:38 PM
clifto

Ron Hardin wrote:
clifto wrote:
Ron Hardin wrote:
You could pass any written test by memorizing the ARRL's License
Manual but code was apparently the killer for grownups.

Not the ARRL manual; it was that guy whose name I can't remember, who
published guides made up by paying testees to remember questions and
multiple-guess answers just after leaving the testing sessions.

No, the License Manual I think was from the ARRL. It's what
everybody used, and the questions matched, anyway I don't remember
any surprises.

dxAce correctly recalled Dick Bash. It was the Bash guides that actually
matched the real test questions on the exams. The ARRL manuals made up
their own questions that were very similar and gave a person adequate
practice to handle the test; the difference was that you could memorize
the answers to the Bash questions and pass the test without understanding
the material. That is, if the answer to the Bash question about resonant
frequency was "(c) 1.4 MHz", then the answer to the actual test question
would also be (c), 1.4 MHz.

It was said at that time that the reason the FCC dumbed the test down
by orders of magnitude was directly and mostly related to the Bash
guides. That, and the fact that amateur radio was acquiring General
Class licensees who couldn't explain how a flashlight worked or tune
a transmitter, made the Bash guides a source of a lot of resentment
among amateurs.

--
"The Democrats are all over this. Democratic strategists feel John Kerry's
war record means he can beat Bush. They say when it comes down to it, voters
Old September 11th 04, 01:33 AM
Martin

"Buzzygirl" wrote in message
> [...]

"Michael" wrote in message
t...

[SNIP]

but in more depth, and there is more about RF exposure and antennas. You
also need to pass a 5 words per minute Morse Code receiving exam for the
General license. Many people expect the Morse Code exam to be dropped in
the
near future, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the FCC to approve
its demise. Some people have taken both the Technician and General
licenses

It's funny - that's exactly what many in Australia said 2 years ago, but
look at us now, no code requirement at all! Don't be too quick to expect
FCC to maintain its ground when everyone else is changing....

Cheers

Martin, VK2UMJ

Old September 11th 04, 03:37 AM
Buzzygirl

"Martin" wrote in message

It's funny - that's exactly what many in Australia said 2 years ago, but
look at us now, no code requirement at all! Don't be too quick to expect
FCC to maintain its ground when everyone else is changing....

Hm, well, it'd be nice if the FCC were known for quick and efficient
decisions. I am not sure which regulatory body makes the rules for
Australia's amateur radio ops, but congrats on having such an apparently
efficient one yourselves. The FCC here in America seems to be more concerned
with pushing through technologies that would ultimately ruin the use of the
HF spectrum altogether (BPL) than concern themselves with anything having to
do with amateur radio. I have talked with many American hams about this
subject, and even if we do not agree on what should be done about the code
test, we all agree that the FCC will most likely be exceedingly slow to act
on making a decision about the Code test either way. They have no real
incentive to do so. Then again, why should American hams expect the FCC to
make a quick decision if we can't stop fighting about it amongst ourselves?

I am thinking it will be at least 2-3 years before we hear from them about
the Code test. If it's earlier, fine by me. I have already passed the damned
thing anyway, and couldn't care less if hams that come after me need to pass
it or not.

Cheers to you Down Under, and 73,

Jackie

Old September 11th 04, 07:16 PM
CW

They'll drop the code in time. It'll give the old "I had to do it so you
should too" twits something to talk (bitch) about on the radio.

Old September 11th 04, 09:09 PM
J999w

They'll drop the code in time. It'll give the old "I had to do it so you
should too" twits something to talk (bitch) about on the radio.

Damn right, and crystal controlled too! By gum, if you don't upgrade in one
year, that's it ... NO RADIO FOR YOU!

We used to wind our own transformers ... (mumble mumble)

Dad gum kids .... (mumble mumble)

jw
k9rzz