Old September 9th 04, 02:35 AM
Michael

Default IC-746 Pro and HAM licence

Hiya.....

For about a year, I have been considering buying a new tabletop sw rig. I
currently use the R-75, and I was thinking of getting a DSP radio. After
reading some receiver comparison reviews of radios like the NRD-545 and
getting other advice from people on this ng, I became more and more
interested in the IC-746Pro. It seems to be an amazing DSP DX'ing rig. I
also know about the reported problems with the transmitter, but I'm not so
worried about that. It can be fixed.

Up until now, I have not been interested in transmitting as an amateur.
Just sw listening. I figure, if I am going to get an IC-746Pro, I might as
well look into getting a ham license. It might be fun....

I read a few links about the multiple choice tests for the tech license and
I also saw a list of pool. My question is... How much of an ordeal is it to
get set up to take the test itself ???

Michael

Old September 9th 04, 02:55 AM
Buzzygirl

"Michael" wrote in message
t...

I read a few links about the multiple choice tests for the tech license

and
I also saw a list of pool. My question is... How much of an ordeal is it

get set up to take the test itself ???

The Tech license study will take the average person about 2-4 weeks to get
through, depending on how much time you have. It is not a difficult test,
even if one isn't really technically inclined. The Tech study manual covers
mostly basic material, and you won't need more than middle-school math
abilities to do the calculations required in the exam.

However, you won't be able to transmit on the SW bands until you upgrade to
the General class. That's another whole study guide and test. The General
Class study guide covers much of the same stuff the Technician guide does,
but in more depth, and there is more about RF exposure and antennas. You
also need to pass a 5 words per minute Morse Code receiving exam for the
General license. Many people expect the Morse Code exam to be dropped in the
near future, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the FCC to approve
its demise. Some people have taken both the Technician and General licenses
at once. Each of these tests consists of 35 questions, and the test is
multiple choice. And the 5 wpm Morse Code test is really pretty easy to pass
too.

There are good practice exams at the following websites: www.eham.net and
www.qrz.com.

The best study guides (IMHO) are the ARRL manuals. The Tech study guide is
the Now You're Talking! 5th edition, which contains lessons and the current
test question and answer pools. The General Class Manual is also available
from ARRL, as are Morse Code practice CDs and tapes. Their website is he
www.arrl.org/catalog.

Good luck!

Jackie

Old September 9th 04, 03:21 AM
4nradio

Michael,

Just in case you are not aware of these articles about using the IC-746Pro
as a SWL DXing rig, check out these informative piece:

http://www.kongsfjord.no Look under "The Dallas Files" and you'll see the
IC-746Pro review.

http://www.dxing.info/equipment/icom_ic746_mjelde.pdf This one is a
follow-up to the above article.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

t...

Old September 9th 04, 09:22 AM
Ron Hardin

Well, in 1952 (this may be out of date) the Tech and General exams
were the same except Tech didn't have any code or privileges, and
there was a nifty Novice test with 5wpm code nonrenewable that
lasted a year, for you to get your code speed up to the General's
13wpm. If you didn't go on the air over that time in code, you
had a tough time meeting the code requirement. If you did, it
was easy. Anyway judging from the experience of a typical child
and his father following these two paths.

Then it all started going downhill and God only knows what it is
today. I don't even know what the power limits or bands are.
We used to have a nifty KW into a backyard antenna, after years
of sultry upgrades, and sending code would dim the lights and
shrink TV pictures.

You could pass any written test by memorizing the ARRL's License
Manual but code was apparently the killer for grownups.
--
Ron Hardin

Old September 9th 04, 11:18 AM
Jari Savolainen

Don't waste your money on the license, it is just a formality. It's like
driving without one. No big deal.

Jari Savolainen

Old September 9th 04, 12:22 PM
Tom Randy

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 10:18:06 +0000, Jari Savolainen wrote:

I read a few links about the multiple choice tests for the tech license
and I also saw a list of pool. My question is... How much of an ordeal is
it to get set up to take the test itself ???

Michael

It's no big deal, go to the ARRL site and they have a section where you
can locate local ham clubs. Make a few calls and you'll find a club that
tests, usually at hamfests or ham radio classes. You can do it, get the
book "Now your talking", study it for a month or so and go for it.

Old September 9th 04, 02:23 PM
Smokey

"Ordeal?"
The ham license is now far less challenging than putting money in a parking
meter. You've got the code crybabies and corporate charlatans to thank for
that.

Smokey

Old September 9th 04, 03:21 PM
Micro MegaWatt

The key to getting a Ham license is determination as is any license.
If you see it as an ordeal -- you'll probably flake out.
If you see it as another of life's challenges -- you will pass as has
675,000 others from ages 9 to 90

For an overview -- See URL:
http://www.arrl.org/hamradio.html

Practice tests and tutorials at URL's:
http://www.aa9pw.com/
http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html
http://www.w8mhb.com/exam/
http://www.geocities.com/w8bbs/2004techstudyguide.pdf
http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

Good Luck as Amateur Radio is a great service with numerous hobby aspects.

One Watt

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism;
to steal from many is research.
-- Comedian Steven Wright
---------------------

"Michael" wrote in message
t...
Hiya.....

Old September 9th 04, 04:24 PM
clifto

Ron Hardin wrote:
You could pass any written test by memorizing the ARRL's License
Manual but code was apparently the killer for grownups.

Not the ARRL manual; it was that guy whose name I can't remember, who
published guides made up by paying testees to remember questions and
multiple-guess answers just after leaving the testing sessions.

--
"The Democrats are all over this. Democratic strategists feel John Kerry's
war record means he can beat Bush. They say when it comes down to it, voters
Old September 9th 04, 04:31 PM
dxAce

clifto wrote:

Ron Hardin wrote:
You could pass any written test by memorizing the ARRL's License
Manual but code was apparently the killer for grownups.

Not the ARRL manual; it was that guy whose name I can't remember, who
published guides made up by paying testees to remember questions and
multiple-guess answers just after leaving the testing sessions.

That may have been Dick Bash KL7IHP... as I recall.

dxAce