Old September 10th 04, 01:20 PM
DeWat

Default Portable Antenna

Hello all...

I have a 13 year old Sangean ATS-803A that I will "occassionally"
listen to. It's kind of hard to get into this because the only
shortwave signals that I can reliably pick up are the radio stations
(not the shacks). When listening, I will often try to do some dx
receiving, but usually become discouraged. I'm considering getting a
portable external antenna for it to see if this will help, but don't
know where to start. What are some of the "better" portable antennas
under $100.00 that I can get for this radio, **and** will not overload
the front end with noise?

Thx
DeWat
Old September 10th 04, 02:13 PM
Richard

Hi DeWat,

I have the same radio. The intersting thing about it is that it is hard to
overload the receiver.Modern readions have a telescopic whip and rarely can
cope with exterial aerials (yes I am even referring to Sony's here as well).
The 803A is a littel deaf on its whip and really needs an external aerial.
You will find a longwire aerial - about 5 yards long will be fine and even
better if you put it through an ATU first. Forget about elaborate expensive
aerials, throw a few yards of wire acorss the room and see the huge
improvement in signals.

Good DX,
Richard, Warsaw

Old September 10th 04, 02:48 PM
Mark S. Holden

DeWat wrote:

Hello all...

I have a 13 year old Sangean ATS-803A that I will "occassionally"
listen to. It's kind of hard to get into this because the only
shortwave signals that I can reliably pick up are the radio stations
(not the shacks). When listening, I will often try to do some dx
receiving, but usually become discouraged. I'm considering getting a
portable external antenna for it to see if this will help, but don't
know where to start. What are some of the "better" portable antennas
under $100.00 that I can get for this radio, **and** will not overload
the front end with noise?

Thx
DeWat

The Sony AN-LP1 is a popular portable active loop antenna that's in your general price range.

But before spending money on an antenna, it might make sense to make sure you're looking at the right times and frequencies.

Here's a link with schedules sorted by time or country.

http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/
Old September 10th 04, 05:35 PM
k35454

"DeWat" wrote in message
Hello all...

I have a 13 year old Sangean ATS-803A that I will "occassionally"
listen to. It's kind of hard to get into this because the only
shortwave signals that I can reliably pick up are the radio stations
(not the shacks). When listening, I will often try to do some dx
receiving, but usually become discouraged. I'm considering getting a
portable external antenna for it to see if this will help, but don't
know where to start. What are some of the "better" portable antennas
under $100.00 that I can get for this radio, **and** will not overload
the front end with noise?

Thx
DeWat

I have the same radio. Hang a piece of 3/8" mesh Hardware Cloth 2'x4' from
the curtain rod, behind the curtain, and connect to the folded-down rod
antenna with a short flexible wire with alligator clips on each end. At my
window, an S3 signal on rod becomes S9 with the mesh. k35454.

Old September 10th 04, 06:54 PM
uncle arnie

Agreed. Try various wire lengths and pick what works. Overloading may or
may not be a problem depending on where your live, e.g., middle of the N
Amer continent generally doesn't get overloaded. I have among my
collection an ATS 909 and 505, YB400, YB300, none subject to overload on
fairly long wires. Though strong signals (e.g, BBC, RN) are not improved
from the whip.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:13 am, Richard posted to
rec.radio.shortwave: %MM