Old September 17th 04, 12:12 AM
Brian Hill

"Michael Bryant" wrote in message

My advice is to keep all of your radios.

And enjoy them.

Or give one to you since you don't have one. LOL!!!!

B.H.

Old September 17th 04, 12:16 AM
dxAce

Brian Hill wrote:

"Michael Bryant" wrote in message

My advice is to keep all of your radios.

And enjoy them.

Or give one to you since you don't have one. LOL!!!!

I guess I could try and contact MWB at Louisville Technical Institute and try to
set up a time when I could drive down there and meet him, give him some
complimentary Cheeto's, meet his 'family', and check out his radios.

dxAce

Old September 17th 04, 12:22 AM
Brian Hill

"dxAce" wrote in message

Brian Hill wrote:

"Michael Bryant" wrote in message

My advice is to keep all of your radios.

And enjoy them.

Or give one to you since you don't have one. LOL!!!!

I guess I could try and contact MWB at Louisville Technical Institute and

try to
set up a time when I could drive down there and meet him, give him some
complimentary Cheeto's, meet his 'family', and check out his radios.

dxAce

You better bring a pallet load of Cheeto's Steve. If you need to barrow my
truck, let me know ) LMFAO

B.H.

Old September 17th 04, 12:26 AM
dxAce

Brian Hill wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Brian Hill wrote:

"Michael Bryant" wrote in message

My advice is to keep all of your radios.

And enjoy them.

Or give one to you since you don't have one. LOL!!!!

I guess I could try and contact MWB at Louisville Technical Institute and

try to
set up a time when I could drive down there and meet him, give him some
complimentary Cheeto's, meet his 'family', and check out his radios.

dxAce

You better bring a pallet load of Cheeto's Steve. If you need to barrow my
truck, let me know ) LMFAO

By the way, if anyone wants to come by here, see the shack, the antenna's, etc.,
they are more than welcome.

dxAce

Old September 17th 04, 01:01 AM
RHF

= = = ...
From: "Lucky"

Sell my Sears mint FRG-7? Never. I'll go down with thr ship first

"RHF" wrote in message
. com...
= = = Lucky wrote in message
= = = . ..

Hi fellas

I'm new to this group and would like your advice based on your broad
knowledge of radios. OK I have 5 radios.

1] JRC NRD-525 stock
2] Kenwood R-5000 YK-88a-1 and remote options
3] FROG-7 stock, mint
4] Ten Tec 320-D
5] FRG-7700 FRA-7700 and F5 low pass filter options
6] Degen 1103

Now, I've been looking to buy a Drake R8 or R8A since I've read so
many good things about them and many of you own one.
My question is, do I need it and will I *notice a big difference
owning one over my other 5 radios?

Now when I ask "do I need it", I hope you radio owners know what I
mean by that.

Thanks for your time
Lucky

LUCKY,

Keep #1, #4 and #6.

Sell #2, #3, and #5.

Buy a new Drake R8"B"

jm2cw ~ RHF

RHF must be off his meds, again.

MWB,

Oh so 'sorry' I don't do Meds be they legal or illegal.

This must be a self-relective statement based on your personal
preferences, disposition and lifestyle.

MWB - Have a nice diner and a glass of good wine - Enjoy !

Then sit-back with your Radios and Listen to the World ~ RHF
..
..
The DE 1103 is also a "keeper". My advice is
to keep all of your radios.

And enjoy them.

Michael Bryant, WA4009SWL
Louisville, KY
R75, S800, RX320, SW77, ICF2010K,
DX398, 7600G, 6800W, RF2200, 7600A,
Degen 1102, Degen 1103, GE SRll,
Pro-2006, Pro-2010, Pro-76
(remove "nospam" to reply)

..

Old September 17th 04, 01:01 AM
RHF

Old September 17th 04, 01:01 AM
RHF

Old September 17th 04, 01:01 AM
RHF

Old September 17th 04, 01:58 AM
Kameron Spesial

On 16 Sep 2004 06:32:09 -0500, Dan wrote:

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 06:07:39 -0400, Lucky
wrote:

Hi fellas

I'm new to this group and would like your advice based on your broad
knowledge of radios. OK I have 5 radios.

1] JRC NRD-525 stock
2] Kenwood R-5000 YK-88a-1 and remote options
3] FROG-7 stock, mint
4] Ten Tec 320-D
5] FRG-7700 FRA-7700 and F5 low pass filter options
6] Degen 1103

Now, I've been looking to buy a Drake R8 or R8A since I've read so
many good things about them and many of you own one.
My question is, do I need it and will I *notice a big difference
owning one over my other 5 radios?

I wouldn't waste money on an R8 or R8A. I have an R8 and it's not
that great. The R8B is the one you want.

Dan

You can have the best radio around for about $1000US. It's called the
313i WinRadio. Check it out he
http://www.winradio.com/home/g313i.htm

Absolutely great features and a fantastic performer. Also, you can
access your WinRadio from anywhere in the world with the Client/Server
option. All you need is a computer that is connected to the Web.
Keep it in mind and good luck.
Old September 17th 04, 01:59 AM
Timoleon

Michael wrote:
"Lucky" wrote in message

Hi fellas

I'm new to this group and would like your advice based on your broad
knowledge of radios. OK I have 5 radios.

1] JRC NRD-525 stock
2] Kenwood R-5000 YK-88a-1 and remote options
3] FROG-7 stock, mint
4] Ten Tec 320-D
5] FRG-7700 FRA-7700 and F5 low pass filter options
6] Degen 1103

Now, I've been looking to buy a Drake R8 or R8A since I've read so
many good things about them and many of you own one.
My question is, do I need it and will I *notice a big difference
owning one over my other 5 radios?

Now when I ask "do I need it", I hope you radio owners know what I
mean by that.

Thanks for your time
Lucky

Hiya, Lucky....

I don't know if you want your next new radio to be ideal for program
listening, DX'ing, utility or all three :-) You already have the NRD-525 and
the R-5000. I have used the R-5000 and I can say as you can that it is a
GREAT radio. I like it quite a bit. I have also used my friends R8A and
his R8B. I have read posts that say the R-5000 sounds as good as the R-5000
for program listening, but I dont think so. I think the R-5000 sounds very
good, and I think it is a very versatile radio, but I still dont think it
sounds as good as the R8A. As for the R8B... When you are program listening
and have conditions of fade and or strong adjacent signals, I have NEVER
heard anything deal with it as good as the R8B. It keeps it nice and steady
and the ssb selectable am sync allows you to listen to a signal that may be
getting splashed from above or below without having to put up with the
muffled sound that you get by going to a narrow filter setting. So... If
you want the "King" for program listening, I think the R8B will beat every
radio you have.

Now... If you want to do some serious DX'ing... I may be able to offer a
suggestion.... Currently, I use an R-75 with all the Kiwa mods... I have
found it to be good for both program listening and for DX'ing. For DX'ing,
I almost always use the R-75 in ssb mode. If found it to be great for doing
that. I think it is better for DX'ing then the R8 or the R8A and R8B. With
the Kiwa mods, it is also respectable as a radio for program listening. Not
as good as the R8 series for program listening, but it is adequate. The one
amazing feature of the R-75 given its good performance and features... The
Price... I got mine brand new with the free DSP module for just under
$500.00. But.... As of the past few months, I have really been interested in
getting a new true DSP rig for DX'ing. One of the first rigs I thought of
was the NRD-545. After some reading, advice and research, I have come to a
radio I didn't even know existed. I have not yet used it, but everything I
have read and heard shows that it would be exactly what I would hope for as
far as DX'ing performance.... It is the ICOM IC-746Pro. It seems to be a
primeDSP rig for DX'ing. I never would have thought to look at transceivers
as I am not a ham, but I have to admit, it looks to be the direction I want
to go in. I'm probably going to buy one soon. If I do get one, I'll
probably also study to get a ham ticket, being that it also has a
transmitter. It might be fun. Also.. I wouldn't buy a used radio, but I
have seen used 746Pro's selling for just under $1,000 bucks because there
are serious defects in the transmitter section. No problem there, though,
if you only want it for receiving. It would be a bargain to have a receiver
like that for under $1,000.

So.... For top quality program listening... The R8B.... For non DSP DX'ing,
The R-75. For DSP SUPER DX'ing, The 746Pro. For best over all versatility,
the R8B. For best value for dollar... R-75.

Hope that helps

I've had a similar experience the last few weeks --- hunting for a new
rig, and everything points in the direction of the Icom 746Pro, a
mediocre transceiver that is really an awesome receiver! I see them on
ebay for about 800 bucks... think I'll get one.

Tim