Old September 17th 04, 12:05 PM
Lucky

I know Mark I used to eye them all the time but just couldn't convince
myself to drop that kind of bread on one.

I bought a Ten Tec 320D, which, is a DSP unit also, but of course you can't
even utter the two rigs names together. But, for 2 bills, I have a choice of
34 filters, easy DRM listening, computer control with lots of software to
choose from.

Plus, these guys from Italy make a hardware front end for the Tec with a
knob and all needed ports and lights plus s-meter.

But yes, the 545 is supposed to be very nice. I've been seeing many of them
on Ebay. I'm glad you like it. If I ever catch a real good deal on one, I'd
pick it up.

The truth is, I'm a tortured soul. I get bored so easily that I need all
these radios to keep me sane! When I get bored with the better tech models I
switch on over to the Frg-7 or 7700.

I'll tell you, both of those units require work at getting a good SSB signal
in. It's much harder and sometimes I like it a lot. You get a lot of
satisfaction after you lock that signal on perfectly. All you have to do is
look at the tuning knob and you'll lose that great signal.

I also listen with the built in speaker. I like the "antique" sound....

"Mark" wrote in message
If you are into SSB and utilities, the NRD-545 is an excellent option. I
notice you already own a Japan Radio Company rig, so maybe that does a
similar job. The 545 (as you probably know!) is a true DSP receiver (IF
and
AF DSP). Like all radios, there are varying opinions on its performance. I
have one and I'm mightily impressed with it - the best radio I've ever had
the pleasure of operating, simply brilliant.

Mark.

"Lucky" wrote in message
Hi

I'm pretty new to SW radio. Not even a year into the hobby. I'm getting

more
and more into looking around for obscure SSB stations and weak muddy
stations. All in all I want to own the best within price constraints so I
know I'm working with good equipment and if I can't get a certain staion

in
it's my own fault and/or my antenna.

I think the NRD-525 is pretty good as well as the r-5000 really. I just
wondered if I bought the Drake and if I were in dark, would I notice
anything different about the Drake.

But you guys have given me the main reasons so far.

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Lucky wrote:

Hi fellas

I'm new to this group and would like your advice based on your broad
knowledge of radios. OK I have 5 radios.

1] JRC NRD-525 stock
2] Kenwood R-5000 YK-88a-1 and remote options
3] FROG-7 stock, mint
4] Ten Tec 320-D
5] FRG-7700 FRA-7700 and F5 low pass filter options
6] Degen 1103

Now, I've been looking to buy a Drake R8 or R8A since I've read so
many good things about them and many of you own one.
My question is, do I need it and will I *notice a big difference
owning one over my other 5 radios?

Now when I ask "do I need it", I hope you radio owners know what I
mean by that.

Thanks for your time
Lucky

Hi

It would be easier for people to give good advice if they knew what you
were hoping to accomplish.

I had an original R8. It was a good radio, and it did everything
pretty
well.

As Dan has mentioned, the R8b has the better sync detector. Sideband
selectable sync is nice - I use it all the time on my Harris.

The original one had the nicer tuning knob. Not a performance feature,
but hey, you'll probably spend a lot of time using it.

The Drakes have nice audio - particularly if you use a good external
speaker, so you'd probably enjoy one for program listening.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Grundig Sat 800. While it's got a circuit
designed by Drake, they're made in China, and the build quality doesn't
impress me. They're also incredibly large. They remind me of the

stereos
they used to sell in Woolworths back
in the 70's. Speaker cabinets would be 5 feet tall, 2 feet wide, and
weigh close to 10 pounds.

Old September 17th 04, 12:19 PM
Mark

Yes, I know what you mean about using "less sophisticated" radios for DX.
I've done it for years, and not out of choice!

I put the audio of the 545 through my stereo - sounds great!

Mark.

Old September 17th 04, 02:49 PM
BDK

In article ,
says...
He doesn't take Paypal. Only checks and money orders. He has to have a
Paypal account to take cash transactions. You know, I once paid a guy cash
with Paypal who didn't tell me about a dent on top of the radio.

When I looked over what my options were, Paypal told me if I pay with cash,
they can do nothing at all but send him a e-mail asking him to comply. They
actually told me you would be better off using a CC for your future
purchases.

I have no idea why some Ebayers feel people will send large sums of money to
strangers and hope for the best. I know Paypal is not loved, but if you pay
with a CC, it's hard to get taken.

Lucky

"Kameron Spesial" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:53:26 -0400, "Lucky"
wrote:

That's the one I was looking at too. Only thing is I can't pay by CC and
have to send out the money first then get the reciever. I really like some
kind of protection a credit card can afford just in case. It it arrives
broken, something wrong, I'm out the money.

I know most radio guys are very cool and responsible, but you know stuff
happens.

How do you people feel about sending out money first with no recourse
really?

Lucky
"Kameron Spesial" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:06:11 -0400, "Lucky"
wrote:

Can someone tell me what a good price for a R8A with VHF option in very
good
condition sells for these days just in case I succumb to my addiction?

Lucky

Yes - go here -
http://tinyurl.com/3w4lo

Ebay link

Use payPal.

Get a Debit card from your bank, they almost always have a MC or Visa
logo too and you can "charge it" to the debit card, and still have the
protection of the charge card.

BDK
Old September 17th 04, 07:01 PM
Micro MegaWatt

One can never have enough radios (despite what she sez)
--
One Watt

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism;
to steal from many is research.
-- Comedian Steven Wright

Old September 17th 04, 07:18 PM
Sanjaya

your sig

"When you steal from one author, it's plagiarism.
When you steal from many, it's research. "
--Wilson Mizner.

Old September 18th 04, 12:50 AM
Ian Smith

I think you've got plenty radios. Can suggest, perhaps, a large
refrigerator containing a beer keg, feeding via pipeline directly to
dxing room. The pipeline has to be insulated, of course.

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old September 19th 04, 02:07 AM
Mark S. Holden

Mark S. Holden wrote:
Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt wrote:
snip
That would be very kind of you, Mark. I'm just thrilled by your
desription of its audio quality. Exactly what I want. I wonder if
someone could remove the MW attenuation.

Thanks,

Margaret

Hi

It is the sort of radio you can listen to for hours at a time without
listener fatigue.

The manual indicates sensitivity is 1.5uv max for Am, and .35uv max for
sideband. (at 10db (s+n)/n ) It just says sensitivity is reduced below
1.5mhz

The radio has half octave filters on the input - a very quick Look at
the schematic leads me to feel you could adjust or eliminate the
attenuation by tweaking the value of a 470 ohm resistor.

Dynamic range is rated at 125db.

Near as I can tell, two of the keys to good audio quality are dynamic
range, and wide filters with steep skirts.

My AOR ar7030+ also has good dynamic range, and the sideband filter I
use with it is a 3.24khz crystal filter intended for a Racal 6790/gm.
It has a shape factor of 1:1.33 The radio reads it as 2.9khz.

As a follow up, I had a friend sweep his 550 - he found no measurable
difference in sensitivity between 200khz and 2mhz.

Old September 26th 04, 05:36 AM
starman

Lucky101 wrote:

I didn't want to drop a bundle on a radio and, I rarely see R8B's for sale
cheap if I see them at all. I can pick up on R8A for like $500. I don't even
know if that's a good price. I figured it's not worth more then 4 bills to
me really.

That's not a bad price for an R8A but the prices for an R8B are
continuing to come down. The 'B' model has been around for about
7-years, so there are more used ones coming on the market. If you're
patient, you should be able to find an R8B for about $750. I payed $950
for a '2001' R8B in early '2003'. That was a good deal at the time but
they go for less now.

Old September 26th 04, 05:45 AM
starman

Michael wrote:

So.... For top quality program listening... The R8B.... For non DSP DX'ing,
The R-75. For DSP SUPER DX'ing, The 746Pro. For best over all versatility,
the R8B. For best value for dollar... R-75.

Hope that helps

--
Respectfully,

Michael

I think that's a fair appraisal of those receivers, particularly in
comparison with each other.

Old September 26th 04, 05:49 AM
starman

Lucky wrote:

Can someone tell me what a good price for a R8A with VHF option in very good condition sells for these days just in case I succumb to my addiction?

Lucky

In the range of $500-$600, but I would hold out for the R8B w/wo the
VHF.