Old September 17th 04, 03:34 AM
m II

Default Weird antenna idea # 492

Ok Slinky lovers...you may leave the room now.

This idea may just work and work well. We've all lain awake at nights
thinking how much better life would be if we just had a longer antenna.
A retractable/adjustable one is even better. Something you could adjust
to wavelength easily would just pure icing on the reception cake.

problem SOLVED

A super long metal retractable TAPE measure! These come in various
lengths. I accidently broke the end off my hundred footer yesterday and
that started the thought process. I also noticed that the replacement
tape 'ribbon' costs more than a brand new complete unit. Stupid.

A METRIC tape would be marked in ....wait....METERS. Quarter wave
length, half wave length? No Problem! This antenna has the measuring
means BUILT RIGHT IN!

I now just have to figure out how to get someone to hold the far end
while I'm at the radio...

mike

(now wondering if the whole world has already thought of this but
neglected to inform me.)

mike
--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

..let the cat out to reply..

©Densa International
'Think tanks cleaned cheap'
Old September 17th 04, 06:30 AM
m II

BOEING377 wrote:

Someone thought of it b4. I own a surplus variable length dipole that uses
metal measuring measuring tapes. Coax fitting is built in. Works well for a
camping antenna.

darn. nothing new under the sun as they say. well..back to the drawing
board.

Idea #493

I figure if I can heat a filament inside a glass cylinder filled with
inert gas, I can get a thermionic action and get a process of
'amplification' via anodes and cathodes. I can call this a 'valve'.

This may or may not prove useful.

mike
Old September 17th 04, 06:58 AM
Mark

"m II" wrote in message
Idea #493

I figure if I can heat a filament inside a glass cylinder filled with
inert gas, I can get a thermionic action and get a process of
'amplification' via anodes and cathodes. I can call this a 'valve'.

This may or may not prove useful.

Now THERE'S a great idea....

Mark.

Old September 17th 04, 04:01 PM
M. J. Powell

In message j3s2d.21094$t61.421@clgrps13, m II
writes

[...]

You're about...er...um...54 years late. I bought one, calibrated in
frequency, from the RSGB in about 1950.

Mike
Old September 17th 04, 08:31 PM
starman

m II wrote:

Idea #493

I figure if I can heat a filament inside a glass cylinder filled with
inert gas, I can get a thermionic action and get a process of
'amplification' via anodes and cathodes. I can call this a 'valve'.

This may or may not prove useful.

mike

Inert gas? They're called 'vacuum' tubes for a reason.

Old September 18th 04, 02:13 AM
Telamon

In article 1095400732.160933@ftpsrv1, "Mark"
wrote:

"m II" wrote in message
Idea #493

I figure if I can heat a filament inside a glass cylinder filled with
inert gas, I can get a thermionic action and get a process of
'amplification' via anodes and cathodes. I can call this a 'valve'.

This may or may not prove useful.

Now THERE'S a great idea....

I'll sell you a grid for cheap.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 18th 04, 03:26 AM
BDK

In article ,
says...

BDK wrote:

In article j3s2d.21094$t61.421@clgrps13,

says...

[...]

I'm sure it would work pretty well, but they, as you already know, crack
pretty easily, so using it outdoors is a short term thing..

BDK

I seem to remember Collins used to market a dipole which basically
consisted of two tapes which I think were calibrated directly in
frequency.

Dave

I wonder how well they held up, I have about a half dozen measuring
tapes that have no end on them just from smacking into the case when
they closed up. Cheap ones, good ones, they all seemed to break.

Why am I keeping them?? Well, I have no idea...

An attic antenna?? Hmmm

BDK

Discone antenna plans [email protected] Antenna 13 January 14th 05 11:51 PM
Antenna Advice Chris Shortwave 5 September 20th 04 02:04 AM
Question about all the weird sounds ... and antenna JSmith Shortwave 5 January 5th 04 04:35 AM
Outdoor Antenna and lack of intermod Soliloquy Scanner 11 October 11th 03 01:36 AM