Old September 18th 04, 09:39 AM
Riz

Default Difference between Sony ICF-2001D / ICF-2010

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what is the differnece between ICF-2001D /
ICF-2010. Also please tell me which one is better amongst the two.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Riz Abbasi
Old September 18th 04, 11:48 AM
Stephan Grossklass

Riz schrieb:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what is the differnece between ICF-2001D /
ICF-2010. Also please tell me which one is better amongst the two.

They are basically the same radio, but the 2001D also existed in a
number of versions without the air band and/or limited frequency
coverage, depending on where it was sold. I don't know whether models
without SSB were also available.

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W
Old September 18th 04, 05:42 PM
Joel Rubin

At some point, some stores in the U.S. found that if they imported
radios or cameras from the Panamanian or Singapore division or agent
of the manufacturer, rather than buying them from the U.S. division or
agent, they could save a substantial ammount of money.

Giving the ICF-2001D a different model number in the U.S. and Canada
(ICF-2010) was an attempt by Sony of America to undercut this practice
of gray market imports. They also sued some of the stores but, IIRC,
they lost in the U.S. Supreme Court.

1) ICF-2001D's made for a certain country may not be able to receive
frequencies that violate the law in that country.

IIRC this applies to Saudi Arabia, Italy and Germany.

(On the other hand, you can't legally buy scanners in the U.S. which
receive cell phone frequencies but you can buy them in Canada if U.S.
customs doesn't catch you.)

2) ICF-2001D's may contain different accessories than ICF-2010's.

Frequently, this is a good thing - the power supply may work both on
110 V and 220 V whereas the 2010 power supply only works on 110.

Difference between AOR AR-7030 and Sony 2010 ? aristotle Shortwave 20 August 23rd 04 08:52 AM
Sony 2010 help please Rob R. Shortwave 6 February 4th 04 11:45 PM
Opinions pls: Sony 2010 or Sony SW07 Rob R. Shortwave 2 January 2nd 04 12:01 PM
FS: Sony 2001D (2010) and Quantum Loop Joe Esposito Shortwave 0 July 10th 03 06:24 PM