Old September 20th 04, 05:03 AM
Honus

Default Wierd noises on 4810

It sounds like someone playing Pong. 0401 UTC. It's got another strange
swishing sound in it, at least to my receiver. It's also audible either side
of that frequency.

Old September 21st 04, 02:24 AM
Honus

"4nradio" wrote in message
What you're hearing is almost certainly CODAR transmissions. They are a
radio-based method of tracking shifting dunes and eroding coastlines at
sal****er beaches. The technology is used on both coasts of the USA. In

the
DX hobby press, you'll see these signals referred to as "the swisher" or
"space zapper". They usually are centered on 4800, but are audible some
ten's of kilohertz either side.

I hear CODAR fairly strong at home, but on coastal DXpeditions the racket

is
really annoying in the lower half of 60 meters.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

Thanks for that. I think I'm going to start recording these, and putting
them online. No one else seems to be doing it. Might make for a mildly
interesting site for radio folks.

Armenia has increased times for 4810 kHz Mike Terry Shortwave 0 August 28th 04 01:05 PM
Radio was wierd yesterday... Mike Yetsko General 1 July 7th 04 02:08 PM
Mexico 4810 N8KDV Shortwave 0 January 17th 04 01:06 PM
Wierd Distorted Numbers Station patgkz Shortwave 7 October 20th 03 08:56 PM
Wierd station on 6507 usb RedOctober90 Shortwave 13 October 20th 03 08:33 PM