Old September 26th 04, 03:27 AM

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:34:46 -0500, clifto wrote:

wrote:
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 02:50:54 -0400, starman wrote:
Dx'ing is a particular kind of Swl'ing (shortwave listening). It
involves the pursuit of hard to hear stations, whether they be
international program broadcasters, utility stations (data or voice) or
amateur radio transmissions. All Dx'ers are Swl'ers but the reverse is
not necessarily the case.

You don't think "distance" is the primary concept in DX?

Think about this: what do you do after you've heard a station from
fully half way around the world?

Sometimes DX is DX because it's rare, not necessarily because it's
distant. Don't take the acronym thing too seriously.

So just change the meaning of the acronym to suit your
purposes, right?

If someone is transmitting from a humdred feet away with a
microwatt power, it's DX? Wake up.
Old September 26th 04, 05:57 AM
starman

m II wrote:

aristotle wrote:

What is the difference between shortwave dxing and swling.

dX ing is a step towards a differential calculus. It means a change, or
Delta in X

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~davemc/Class/...ture9/line.gif

This is also known as 'Rise over Run' in slopehead circles.

Don't let the masses here convince you otherwise.

SWL probably means dxAces' initials.

mike

In that case, what's dy'ing?

Old September 26th 04, 04:26 PM
Frank Dresser

wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:34:46 -0500, clifto wrote:

So just change the meaning of the acronym to suit your
purposes, right?

If someone is transmitting from a humdred feet away with a
microwatt power, it's DX? Wake up.

That's it! Stand up for literalism!! I mean that literally. Get on your
feet and stand up!! Don't back down! Give 'em an inch and they'll take a
mile. And in inch terms, a mile is certainly DX.

Oh, I didn't catch your rant in the last "This is a SHORTWAVE RADIO group"
subthread. If you missed your chance, don't worry. If you miss one off
topic thread, they'll be another one.

Frank Dresser

Old September 27th 04, 05:25 AM

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 15:26:50 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:34:46 -0500, clifto wrote:

So just change the meaning of the acronym to suit your
purposes, right?

If someone is transmitting from a humdred feet away with a
microwatt power, it's DX? Wake up.

That's it! Stand up for literalism!! I mean that literally. Get on your
feet and stand up!! Don't back down! Give 'em an inch and they'll take a
mile. And in inch terms, a mile is certainly DX.

Beats the hell out of standing up for sloppy thought. DX is
an explicit reference to reception of distant stations and has been
ubnderstood that way for decades. If they're nearby, it's not DX. If
you don't like it, think up a different acronym and pervert it to
whatever your taste is at the moment.

Why not call it radar? What the hell, it's all electromagnetic
waves anyway.

Oh, I didn't catch your rant in the last "This is a SHORTWAVE RADIO group"
subthread. If you missed your chance, don't worry.

**** off, lunatic. If you can't recognize your own spew as a
rant, you have no standing to criticize anyone else.

If you miss one off
topic thread, they'll be another one.

If going off-topic so offends you, what are you doing in this
part of the thread. Go home and be happy. Droolingly happy.

Old September 27th 04, 06:51 AM

"All DX'ers are SWL'ers"

Not necessarilly. Some Dxers only DX the MW band.

Old September 27th 04, 06:56 AM

"All DX'ers are SWL'ers"

Not necessarilly. Some Dxers only DX the MW band.

and some like to DX only the LW band.

I dx the mw and sw bands, among others, such as FM and TV back in the
days when we had antennas instead of cable.

Old September 27th 04, 08:04 AM
Frank Dresser

wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 15:26:50 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:34:46 -0500, clifto wrote:

So just change the meaning of the acronym to suit your
purposes, right?

If someone is transmitting from a humdred feet away with a
microwatt power, it's DX? Wake up.

That's it! Stand up for literalism!! I mean that literally. Get on

your
feet and stand up!! Don't back down! Give 'em an inch and they'll take

mile. And in inch terms, a mile is certainly DX.

Beats the hell out of standing up for sloppy thought. DX is
an explicit reference to reception of distant stations and has been
ubnderstood that way for decades. If they're nearby, it's not DX. If
you don't like it, think up a different acronym and pervert it to
whatever your taste is at the moment.

I think you misunderstand. Which words did I use to suggest I don't like
the term DX?

And I'm supporting your standing up for literalism! But I'm not literally
supporting you. I hope you know what I mean, this time.

Why not call it radar? What the hell, it's all electromagnetic
waves anyway.

Or particles. Or something that's not really a wave or a particle. But I'm
damn sure it's something, anyway.

Oh, I didn't catch your rant in the last "This is a SHORTWAVE RADIO

group"
subthread. If you missed your chance, don't worry.

**** off, lunatic. If you can't recognize your own spew as a
rant, you have no standing to criticize anyone else.

Another misunderstanding. I frequently rant on rrs, and I'm quite aware of
it!! Just look at all these exclamation points!!!!!

If you miss one off
topic thread, they'll be another one.

If going off-topic so offends you, what are you doing in this
part of the thread. Go home and be happy. Droolingly happy.

Didn't you know? I'm not offended and I am droolingly happy!! Have you
considered taking one of those psychic courses from Maj. Ed Dames or Sean
David Morton? It might cut down on these out-of-context imaginings of
yours!!!

Frank Dresser

Old September 27th 04, 03:01 PM
Michael Black

) writes:

Beats the hell out of standing up for sloppy thought. DX is
an explicit reference to reception of distant stations and has been
ubnderstood that way for decades. If they're nearby, it's not DX. If
you don't like it, think up a different acronym and pervert it to
whatever your taste is at the moment.

But DX can't be an absolute.

Think of VHF, where distant communication is rare or dependent on fancy
techniques. So you normally only hear or talk to local stations. Then
along comes good radio conditions, and you can suddenly hear that station
which isn't particularly far away, but beyond normal reception. Suddenly,
that 300 or whatever mile away station is DX, because it's further than
local.

Or "What's your best DX?". For the beginner, it may not be very far,
because they've not gotten to the distant stations. But since it is
something he's not heard before, it is DX.

Michael

Old September 27th 04, 03:09 PM
dxAce

aristotle wrote:

What is the difference between shortwave dxing and swling.

If you don't know, then you're not a 'DX'er'. When you do know, then you'll
either be a DX'er or a SWL'er.

That's my best explanation.

dxAce
Michigan