Old October 14th 04, 06:37 PM
Bob Smith

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
snipped

If only Sanyo made a phone for Verizon, the runner-up in my quest for

better
and/or new service.....

Talk about dumb, though: When I first got a cell phone, I signed a 1-year,
29.95 per month contract with Sprint. At the end of the contract, I did
nothing, they said nothing, and I just kept paying the bills for 2 more
years. I called the guy at the Sprint store this morning and mentioned the
Sanyo phone. He said that in order to get that phone, I'd have to upgrade

39.95 per month. I asked how a monetary issue is connected to the

particular
phone, and he sort of mumbled something about the purchase deal for the
phone. He's checking with his supervisor blah blah blah.

The minimum plans now are $35/mo. plus taxes and surcharges. If you take the
full $150 credit off a new phone, you will be required to commit to a new 2
year agreement.

Bob

Old October 14th 04, 07:41 PM
Doug Kanter

"Bob Smith" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

By the way, I was with a friend at a Verizon outlet a couple of months back.
He wanted a phone ONLY for emergencies, and began to walk away from the
counter when the guy gave him prices for plans with 200-400 minutes. The
salesman said "Hang on a sec....", checked with someone else in the store,
and revealed that there's a 19.95 deal with either no minutes, or very few -
I don't recall. He said they don't publicize it much. Just something to
know....

Old October 25th 04, 12:30 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

I agree with you that Sanyo A/V equipment is junk. However, their
cell phones are uncharacteristically excellent.

Absolutely!

Conversely, I have a Samsung refrigerator in my kitchen and a Samsung
19 inch LCD display on my computer, and they are excellent products
that I have highly praised and recommended to other people. However
Samsung's cell phones, for lack of a better term, are total ****. Every
Samsung cell phone I've tried from 1999 all the way to the
present are cheaply constructed, have horrible audio quality, and
couldn't hold calls even when I was outside and in plain view of a
Sprint cell tower.

I bought a Sanyo 5300 before coming to college just so that I wouldn't have
to fight with the Samsung I had before that, since it would be my only
phone. I activated it and have had only a few rare problems with it.

A year after I got my 5300, my sister started to whine DAILY to me that
"Sprint sucks so bad, I get cut off a minute into each and every call." She
really wasn't lying. This was during the last 3 months or our 2-year
contract, and both my parents' and sister's Samsungs were deteriorating
fast, even after PRL/firmware updates. I was constantly telling her that it
was the phone, not the service, but she wanted to switch to Verizon badly.
I told her to give Sprint a chance, specifically with Sanyo 4920s. She
hasn't mentioned one dropped call since. Talk about a total 180, huh? The
retention deal wasn't too bad, either.

Why would Sprint represent their service so poorly with Samsung phones
instead of pushing Sanyo? In retail, repeat sales always takes precedence
over a higher phone-profit-margin. It seems like a no-brainer.

Oh, and the Samsungs were all A400s.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old October 25th 04, 12:33 AM
Steve Sobol

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

Why would Sprint represent their service so poorly with Samsung phones
instead of pushing Sanyo? In retail, repeat sales always takes precedence
over a higher phone-profit-margin. It seems like a no-brainer.

Samsungs are OK. I like my A660.

However, they could be better at holding signals - my wife's (discontinued)
Hitachi P300 seems to generally be better than mine is. For RF, it probably
doesn't come close to the Sanyo phones.

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
Old October 25th 04, 04:57 PM
John Richards

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in message
Why would Sprint represent their service so poorly with Samsung phones instead of pushing Sanyo? In retail, repeat sales always
takes precedence over a higher phone-profit-margin. It seems like a no-brainer.

Oh, and the Samsungs were all A400s.

I'm not familiar with the Samsung A400, but our family has used
Samsung A620 (VGA1000) phones for the past year, and we like them
quite well. Before that we used the Samsung 8500, also a nice phone.

--
John Richards