Old October 13th 04, 11:46 AM
Martin Combs

Default Looking for comments on the Grundig S350

I'm thinking about purchaseing one of those Grundig S350 radios I'm just a
casual listener when working in my garage anybody got any comments on this
radio, also is Eaton the same as Grundig.

Marty
www.knotstuff.com

Old October 13th 04, 01:19 PM
Billy Everhart

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 06:46:22 -0400, "Martin Combs"
wrote:

I'm thinking about purchaseing one of those Grundig S350 radios I'm just a
casual listener when working in my garage anybody got any comments on this
radio, also is Eaton the same as Grundig.

Marty
www.knotstuff.com

Pick one up and feel the quality.
Old October 13th 04, 03:56 PM
m II

wrote:

I'm thinking about purchaseing one of those Grundig S350 radios I'm just a
casual listener when working in my garage anybody got any comments on this
radio, also is Eaton the same as Grundig.

Marty
www.knotstuff.com

Pick one up and feel the quality.

Quality in this case may be a rather fleeting thing. The Satellite 800
was pretty bad when the original batch came out too. The Grundig name,
in my opinion, has been degraded badly since they started this wheeling
and dealing with the communist Chinese. The quality, or lack of it,
certainly starts to show when all you use are the lowest cost bidders to
make your merchandise for you.

I'm assuming Grundig was sold to it's new present owners in the last few
years. Then the decline started. In an attempt to fatten the bottom line
in the quickest possible time, they started cutting corners very
severely. It may be coming back to bite them on the ass. Twice!

mike
Old October 13th 04, 04:08 PM
dxAce

wrote:

[...]

Quality? What does a Canucky Boy know about quality?

Think rusty, leaky submarines, 'tard.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old October 13th 04, 07:36 PM
Volker Tonn

dx'tard wrote:

Quality? What does a Canucky Boy know about quality?

Think rusty, leaky submarines, 'tard.

A dx'tard doesn't know anything...

Old October 13th 04, 08:02 PM
dxAce

Volker Tonn wrote:

dx'tard wrote:

Quality? What does a Canucky Boy know about quality?

Think rusty, leaky submarines, 'tard.

A dx'tard doesn't know anything...

Then why do you try and act like you do?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old October 13th 04, 07:35 PM
Stephan Grossklass

m II schrieb:

I'm assuming Grundig was sold to it's new present owners in the last few
years. Then the decline started. In an attempt to fatten the bottom line
in the quickest possible time, they started cutting corners very
severely. It may be coming back to bite them on the ass. Twice!

Grundig USA a.k.a. Lextronix a.k.a. Etón never had that much to do with
the European company (the radio/TV etc. related parts of which were sold
to the UK based Alba and Turkey based Beko early this year but which had
been going downhill for a long time). The last "European" Grundig SW
receivers were the Yacht Boy 500 and Satellit 700 (along with the 900
that was not to be), along with the Yacht Boy 360 which was an
interesting hybrid of Fürth style docs - I have a service manual - and
typically Asian innards (Japanese transistors etc.). The YB 400 was a
Grundig USA product, suspected to have been made by Sangean. Current
Etón/Grundig USA radios are just slightly adapted Tecsun models. The
Satellit 800 is a rather interesting beast as it involves both Tecsun
and Drake (with the former producing it and the latter having developed
the SW8's circuitry which gets used to a large extent).

The Germany-based Grundig IMHO was strongest in the early to mid, maybe
still late 80s. I have an FM tuner from this period, a T 7500 - it may
not have the high quality looks of others and lacks a few features
(switchable bandwidth, attenuator), but sonically beat the pants off a
Revox costing almost three times as much in those days ('83 or so). (And
it allowed entering 4-digit alpha tags for stations and had an 8-segment
signal strength display that was pretty much exactly logarithmic, both
not really features expected in a tuner with little more than a
middle-class price tag.) The thing is solidly built, the only point
where they cut costs a bit too much was the rectifier for the +5V
supply, which was a historic selenium type (!) notorious for failing.
Now guess what went south two hours after I got the thing...
Fortunately, this is good ol' macroscopic technology and not tiny SMD
stuff.
But, err, I digress.

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W
Old October 14th 04, 06:30 AM
m II

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

But, err, I digress.

Not at all..

Good post. It's nice to read a bit of that company's history. There must
be some silicon type replacements for the rectifier, no?

mike
Old October 14th 04, 03:55 PM
Stephan Grossklass

m II schrieb:

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

But, err, I digress.

Not at all..

Good post. It's nice to read a bit of that company's history. There must
be some silicon type replacements for the rectifier, no?

Yes, of course. Any ordinary silicon bridge rectifier in DIP will do
just fine (and, given it's totally oversized for 9.8 V ~ and about 100
mA, should do its job for a loooooong time). At least this experience
has expanded my list of potentially critical (read: best replaced)
components in old radios to (a) paper caps and electrolytics and (b)
selenium rectifiers. Now all I need is a *decent* soldering iron and the
tube radio that should hopefully arrive within the next few days / weeks
/ eternities - though the Grundig Signal 700 could use some service as
well (some humming, switches with contact probs and such - it's 30 years
old after all and has probably never undergone servicing).

Stephan
Old October 19th 04, 07:57 AM
starman

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

[...]

A selenium rectifier in a twenty year old solid state radio? I haven't
seen a selenium used in anything for more than thirty years, probably
close to forty.

Grundig S350 'Super Radio' Tecsun BCL-2000 [Was: Tecsun BCL-2000 Preview (Grundig S350) Gary Shortwave 1 February 16th 04 11:16 PM
YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 12:34 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:23 PM
Grundig Satellit 900 -=V=- Eton E1 XM Radio RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:14 PM