Old October 13th 04, 05:16 PM
GeorgeF

Default Kenwood R-5000

I have an R-5000 which works great. However I'm wondering from others
who own or have owned an R-5000 if you're gets hot? After being on for
hours mine gets so hot you "almost" can't hold your hand on the top
cover. Mine has done this for years and hasn't yet affected the
receive performance but just wondering if this normal.

My other HF rigs don't get hot (JRC NRD-525, Yaesu FT-847, RadioShack
DX-394 or Kenwood TS-520) all of which are one 12-20 hours a day.....

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com
Old October 13th 04, 07:19 PM
michael agner

Yep, I've heard this too. Maybe someone here has some mods that
would cool it down somewhat...

I'd also look in the usual mods sites and see if someone has posted
something along this line. Running that hot can't be all that healthy
for the rx.
73s Mike

Old October 13th 04, 07:48 PM
Volker Tonn

michael agner schrieb:

Yep, I've heard this too. Maybe someone here has some mods that would
cool it down somewhat...

Ask dx'tard how a bath -or at least a shower- works on cooling down... ;-)

Has that thing an external voltage connector for 12 volts?
If yes, get a good power supply and that's it.

Old October 13th 04, 08:33 PM
dxAce

GeorgeF wrote:

I have an R-5000 which works great. However I'm wondering from others
who own or have owned an R-5000 if you're gets hot? After being on for
hours mine gets so hot you "almost" can't hold your hand on the top
cover. Mine has done this for years and hasn't yet affected the
receive performance but just wondering if this normal.

My other HF rigs don't get hot (JRC NRD-525, Yaesu FT-847, RadioShack
DX-394 or Kenwood TS-520) all of which are one 12-20 hours a day.....

I owned a R-5000 for several years and it did not get that hot.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old October 13th 04, 09:37 PM
Brian Hill

"GeorgeF" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have an R-5000 which works great. However I'm wondering from others
who own or have owned an R-5000 if you're gets hot? After being on for
hours mine gets so hot you "almost" can't hold your hand on the top
cover. Mine has done this for years and hasn't yet affected the
receive performance but just wondering if this normal.

My other HF rigs don't get hot (JRC NRD-525, Yaesu FT-847, RadioShack
DX-394 or Kenwood TS-520) all of which are one 12-20 hours a day.....

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

Mine gets hot too. Never a problem.

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

Old October 13th 04, 09:38 PM
Brian Hill

"dxAce" wrote in message

GeorgeF wrote:

I have an R-5000 which works great. However I'm wondering from others
who own or have owned an R-5000 if you're gets hot? After being on for
hours mine gets so hot you "almost" can't hold your hand on the top
cover. Mine has done this for years and hasn't yet affected the
receive performance but just wondering if this normal.

My other HF rigs don't get hot (JRC NRD-525, Yaesu FT-847, RadioShack
DX-394 or Kenwood TS-520) all of which are one 12-20 hours a day.....

I owned a R-5000 for several years and it did not get that hot.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I wouldn't say hot either but it does get warm.

Old October 13th 04, 09:41 PM
dxAce

Brian Hill wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

GeorgeF wrote:

I have an R-5000 which works great. However I'm wondering from others
who own or have owned an R-5000 if you're gets hot? After being on for
hours mine gets so hot you "almost" can't hold your hand on the top
cover. Mine has done this for years and hasn't yet affected the
receive performance but just wondering if this normal.

My other HF rigs don't get hot (JRC NRD-525, Yaesu FT-847, RadioShack
DX-394 or Kenwood TS-520) all of which are one 12-20 hours a day.....

I owned a R-5000 for several years and it did not get that hot.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I wouldn't say hot either but it does get warm.

Warm yes, hot no.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old October 13th 04, 11:41 PM
Michael

"GeorgeF" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have an R-5000 which works great. However I'm wondering from others who
own or have owned an R-5000 if you're gets hot? After being on for hours
mine gets so hot you "almost" can't hold your hand on the top cover. Mine
has done this for years and hasn't yet affected the receive performance but
just wondering if this normal.

My other HF rigs don't get hot (JRC NRD-525, Yaesu FT-847, RadioShack
DX-394 or Kenwood TS-520) all of which are one 12-20 hours a day.....

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

A close friend has an R-5000. He has confirmed that it runs way hotter then
his R8b, but not so hot that you cant touch the top of the radio. He keeps
his radio on a large counter top and said that his cat likes to sit on top
of the radio when its on because its warm... :-)

Michael

Old October 13th 04, 11:52 PM
dxAce

Michael wrote:

"GeorgeF" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have an R-5000 which works great. However I'm wondering from others who
own or have owned an R-5000 if you're gets hot? After being on for hours
mine gets so hot you "almost" can't hold your hand on the top cover. Mine
has done this for years and hasn't yet affected the receive performance but
just wondering if this normal.

My other HF rigs don't get hot (JRC NRD-525, Yaesu FT-847, RadioShack
DX-394 or Kenwood TS-520) all of which are one 12-20 hours a day.....

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

A close friend has an R-5000. He has confirmed that it runs way hotter then
his R8b, but not so hot that you cant touch the top of the radio. He keeps
his radio on a large counter top and said that his cat likes to sit on top
of the radio when its on because its warm... :-)

The suggestion to run it on a seperate 12 volt supply is a good one if it has
the 12 volt option. I don't recall off hand if that was standard, or an option.

I run my Drake R7 here on 12 volts due to having some diodes in the power supply
failing in years past due to heat, but even the R7 does not run hot.

The R7 hits the trail to Ohio tomorrow for a tune up. (This one has never been
sent out by me for a tune up, but it reads just slightly off on the readout.)

I'm looking forward to using it a bit more this dx season, and maybe snagging a
few of the Indian regionals I don't yet have.

dxAce
Michigan
USA