Old October 16th 04, 11:15 PM
bubba ho-tep

"JuLiE Dxer" wrote in message

Rush Limbaugh can be interesting.

Of course he's interesting, he's a delusional drug-addict who hallucinates
on air.

Old October 17th 04, 03:01 AM
clifto

Pilotbutteradio wrote:
Very hard to pick a most despised! I agree with Dr. Laura in some instances,
but her attitude is terrible, and I find her very abusive.

Think about this: she has about three minutes with each caller. Callers
often are in emotional distress as well as several layers of mindf*ck.
I've heard lots of callers who I believe wouldn't have heard a word
DrL said without some brash, unvarnished harsh truth spoken in no
uncertain terms. The fact that she's willing to take the blame for
being the bad guy tells me she's dedicated to helping the people who
call, unlike so many shows before hers that were nothing more than a
showcase for weirdos where the host said soothing nothings to placate
the callers and keep 'em coming.

Listen again, but this time, when you hear her sounding harsh, take a
second and listen to the caller and see if you could *really help* the
caller by being nice instead of honest. You might see what I'm talking
about.

--
Most dying mothers say, "I love you, son," or "Take care of your sister."
Why were the last words of Kerry's mother a lecture on integrity?
Old October 17th 04, 03:34 AM
Honus

"clifto" wrote in message
Pilotbutteradio wrote:
[...]

Just how much good would a -real- professional with a real interest in their
patients expect to do in -three- minutes regardless of the approach they
take? And harsh can be flat out damaging, requiring a judgement call that
she's in no position to make in these anonymous cases. I admittedly don't
listen to her, but I sure wonder just how altruistic she really is.

I just pray that her and Dr. Phil never breed. Talk about insufferable.

Old October 17th 04, 05:14 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Honus" wrote in message

"clifto" wrote in message
Pilotbutteradio wrote:
[...]

She's there for the 'entertainment value', like anyone else on the radio or
TV. She's downright rude to many of her callers, and the way she treats
some of the more despondant ones, I wouldn't doubt that some have commited
suicide after calling her looking for help.

Old October 17th 04, 05:27 AM
Pilotbutteradio

I do know what you mean. I think there is a lot of what you mention, and I
also think she goes over the edge a lot. I do think she is helpful to many
people. She just irritates me. It's a personality conflict LOL.

Old October 16th 04, 02:51 AM
lsmyer

All five on my "do not like" list are pretty much equal. And maybe I would
add George Noory to the list because he is boring and puts me to sleep.

I used to get myself in trouble when Art Bell was full-time on Coast to
Coast because I would stay awake to listen to him. Now that Noory does the
weekday show, there's no reason for me to stay up late during the week. At
least I can get my Art Bell fix on the weekend, but it was nice having him
all over the radio every night of the week.

I guess I'm not alone. When Art was still doing the show, most stations
carried the preceding day's last two or three hours as a taped pre-cursor to
the live show. That was nice. But after Noory took over, I guess ratings
have dropped to the point that reruns of Coast to Coast aren't that much in
demand any longer.

Old October 16th 04, 03:08 AM
T. Early

"lsmyer" wrote in message
[...]

Noory claims ratings are up, something I find hard to believe. When
Alex Jones and Steve Quayle are on a show's "current events" panel,
there's a problem.

Old October 16th 04, 11:10 PM
JuLiE Dxer

You can catch Art on 3840 kHz almost every single night. I don't
listen too much to him while he's at work. I mostly interact with him
via HF; I even get the oddball e-mails from him of strange things. I
can't speak too much of his on-the-job behavior, but from my
interactions with him via amateur radio the last 9 years I've noticed
he sure does exaggerate on a very frequent basis. Everything's
"amazing" or "unbelievable" or "the greatest thing ever." That does
get annoying.

Old October 16th 04, 05:05 PM
Madelin McKinnon

I think the low blows are actually being thrown by the Cheney family
(specifically Lynne) and the republicans. It was pretty convenient for
Lynne and Dick to bring up their daughter when it makes Bush and
Cheney look "compassionate." It would be one thing if they never
brought it up in any speech or anything that furthers their campaign
with moderates...but they have.

For them to publicly talk about Mary being gay, then to turn around
and say that it was a "low blow" or inappropriate should actually clue
the moderates in on how they REALLY feel about gays and lesbians--that
we love 'em but we would rather they stay in their 2X2 closets. We
love 'em, but we don't talk about 'em (unless it will make people
think WE are compassionate). It's like it is some kind of "painful"
subject that shouldn't be raised instead of a simple fact of life.

Would they feel so indignant if Mary had found the cure for cancer and
Kerry mentioned that? Would they feel so indignant if Mary was a
heterosexual and just had a baby and Kerry had mentioned that? Would
they feel so indignant if Mary had MS and Kerry mentioned it and said
we need to do more research etc. etc...

NO, of course they wouldn't. So all this righteous indignation that he
took a "low blow" or used "taaawdry tactics" is simply a symptom that
they were lying through their teeth when they claim not to be ashamed
of her. I think if I were Mary, I would actually be devastated by
their reaction--it is like she is something "unmentionable" and
something to be so ashamed of that no one but her family is ever
allowed to mention her.

I'm sorry that Mom and Dad Cheney are so ashamed of their daughter
being gay that the mere mention of it makes John Kerry a "bad man."
THEY are the ones that I lost whatever shred of respect I had left
for.

Gay people are deeply hurt when their parents react the way the
Cheney's did. If they were really proud of her they would have reacted
differently. For instance if she had been a doctor and Kerry had
brought that up they would not have reacted the way they did.

http://www.geocities.com/jacknichols123/johnjohn.htm
Old October 16th 04, 05:20 PM
T. Early

"Madelin McKinnon" wrote in message
om...
I think the low blows are actually being thrown by the Cheney family
(specifically Lynne) and the republicans. It was pretty convenient

for
Lynne and Dick to bring up their daughter when it makes Bush and
Cheney look "compassionate." It would be one thing if they never
brought it up in any speech or anything that furthers their campaign
with moderates...but they have.

Please don't pollute this excellent OT thread on "sleazeball" O'Reilly
and his antics with a double OT rant about Kerry' gaffe at the debate
that polling now shows 2/3 of Americans found inappropriate. You've
obviously been waiting for a spot to launch this diatribe but the
ignorance shown--including the assertion that the Cheney's make an
issue of their daughter when it suits them--is simply stunning and the
ultimate in ham-handed rationalization.