Old November 7th 04, 02:07 AM
dxAce

Radio Flyer wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
I'm not sure how all that works out though, as the FCC still lists the
Novice
Class license, see:

http://www.arrl.org/fcc/stats.html

Data as of 5 November.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

You are right. I had always assumed that novices became technicians. But
actually tech plusses before 1987 became generals. I found this
http://www.arrl.org/news/restructuring/faq.html about the restructuring.

I guess this statement at the bottom of that page says it all:

Novice desiring to upgrade to Technician with HF privileges: You must pass
Element 3A before April 15, or pass Element 2 on/after April 15.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old November 7th 04, 02:44 AM
m II

Howard wrote:
On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 17:52:13 -0500, "Jennie" wrote:

I think I like a dual band. I live around Atlanta, ga. 2 and 70..

remainder of post snipped for brevity's sake

Jennie,
First off, congratulations!

You might want to see if there are many 220 MHz repeaters in your area
- if so I recommend the Kenwood TH-F6 as it has 2 meters, 220 and 440.
Not as 'bullet proof' regarding intermod as some dual band radio's
I've had but that is also due to it's wideband receive (100 KHz to 1.3
GHz).

The shortwave reception is nothing to write home about..at least
according to these people.

http://www.ticon.net/~n9ewo/thf6.html

mike
Old November 7th 04, 06:28 AM
Pilotbutteradio

Congratulations!

I would suggest the Yaesu VX5R. 2 meters, 440, and 6 meters. Hears about
everything else, and you can find one used for about 200.

Good luck with the code.

--
Dave,
Icom 746pro, Drake R-8, Grundig YB-400pe

"Jennie" wrote in message
the technician's test today....Not sure of what type of handheld to buy?
Appreciate any help in selecting my first piece of equipment...

I want a handheld with an antenna, and be able to put up an antenna on
the roof of my car and in my attic...

Under 300 if possible.

What is the best Code training stuff out there?

Thanks

Old November 7th 04, 07:20 PM
JuLiE Dxer

I'd ignore the Steve fellow. He's not participating with all his
facilities.

Your location and its VHF/UHF activity would play a role in which
radio would be a better option for you. For example, if you're in an
area where nobody used 440 then buying a duo-bander HT wouldn't really
be too much more useful than buying a simple 2m HT. I've noticed that
a lot of 2m/440 HT's are much more susceptible to intermod and
intereference from strong nearby pager signals whereas all my 2m HT's
never even noticed their existence.

If you wish to use this with an external mobile and house antenna,
perhaps an HT with a BNC connection on top with its antenna would be
best. The SMA connection found on some HT's is a bit more annoying for
such purposes. A simple PL259/BNC adapater could be used then in your
car for the mobile antenna.

Be aware, though, that using such adapters and external antennas can
cause a lot of stress on your HT at the antenna input spot. This extra
stress could cause components to break in that area. I've seen that
many times.

Good luck, jennie. Also, don't be afraid to listen on-air as much as
possible to pick up helpful advice on-the-air and to determine which
local VHF/UHF users are complete idiots. I recommend determining which
local radio ops are completely clueless and avoid at all cost any of
their advice. The last thing you want to do is ruin a brand new HT
because some local idiot on a repeater gave you some very bad advice.
I don't know where you're located but in the Pacific Northwest, the
bottom of the barrel can be found on 2m.

Old November 7th 04, 07:22 PM
JuLiE Dxer

I have a IC-T7H and it's nice though quite susceptible to intermod.

Old November 7th 04, 07:22 PM
JuLiE Dxer

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 17:52:13 -0500, "Jennie" wrote:

I think I like a dual band. I live around Atlanta, ga. 2 and 70..

Do you have any plans on upgrading to general and getting on HF?
Old November 7th 04, 07:25 PM
JuLiE Dxer

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:06:15 -0800, "Keyboard In The Wilderness"
wrote:

Be sure you want an HT instead of a mobile.
A mobile can be easily removed from the car and used as base station (with
an external power supply)

I've done that very thing for many years though have base rigs here
capable of 2m/440. I mostly bring the mobile rig in with me because
there are too may druggies around looking for something to steal.

The biggest benefit is being able to use your car battery easily and
be able to run 50+ watts from the mobile. HT's can be cumbersome if
you wish to use an adapter for the external antenna, an adapter for DC
thru the cigarette lighter, and perhaps even an adapter for an
external mic.
Old November 7th 04, 07:26 PM
JuLiE Dxer

Techs are allowed everything above 50 MHz, Jennie.

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 19:30:18 -0500, "Jennie" wrote:

I noticed that some are 2 Meter/440 MHz

Are those two ranges for technician too?

Old November 7th 04, 10:08 PM
Jennie

That is what I want, something to get me started until I learn and pass the
code test. I am more of a visual learner than a dot, ditto person...

Thanks

Old November 7th 04, 10:22 PM
Radio Flyer

"Jennie" wrote in message
That is what I want, something to get me started until I learn and pass
the code test. I am more of a visual learner than a dot, ditto person...

Thanks

Good luck trying to learn that visually. You will probably find that it is
easier in the long run if you learn aurally.

I passed Shadow_998 Antenna 22 November 28th 04 11:22 PM
I passed my technician exam! I'll have a callsign on Tuesday. Daniel J. Morlan General 4 January 17th 04 09:10 AM
My response to Jim Wiley, KL7CC Brian Policy 3 October 24th 03 12:02 AM
Geoff Halligey has passed away. Stephen Newlyn Shortwave 2 August 10th 03 06:38 PM
?? QRZ ?? passed re-examination? William Mutch Shortwave 1 August 4th 03 01:37 PM