Old November 14th 04, 11:49 AM
Lucky

"elg110254" wrote in message
You get a similar effect touching the L.E.D. screen on Pioneer Super-Tuner
car
radios, also.

May I ask you guys when you use the ANF?
It says on one page in the manual it's for SSB only, then, it works in AM on
another page.

I wish it had manual adjustments as well as the auto feature.

Lucky

Old November 14th 04, 02:41 PM
DesignGuy

"Lucky" wrote in message

"elg110254" wrote in message
You get a similar effect touching the L.E.D. screen on Pioneer

Super-Tuner
car
radios, also.

May I ask you guys when you use the ANF?
It says on one page in the manual it's for SSB only, then, it works in AM

on
another page.

I wish it had manual adjustments as well as the auto feature.

The ANF works in either mode for me at least, but the het seems to have to
be at a certain threshold for it to work. Weak hets are not notched out.

Try tuning WWV in AM mode and hitting the ANF - the tones are notched out.

Old November 15th 04, 01:06 PM
Mark S. Holden

Lucky wrote:

Mark,
do you use the sideband feature using the 9Mhz 2.4 filter? I've been
testing it and it works pretty well. I'm surprised Icom doesn't advertise
this as a feature.

Lucky

The only consumer HF radio I currently use is the aor 7030+ I run as my
"portable". The others are rack mounts.

On the 7030+, my favorite sideband filter is a crystal one marked
3.24khz. The radio reads it as 2.9khz. (the 7030 calibrates itself
for filters by sweeping them.) The shape factor of that filter is 1.33
It was made for a Racal 6790/gm or a 6830.

The Icom FL80 filter has a pretty good shape factor - 1.5 - but I'd
expect the audio to be somewhat muffled for my taste.

The specs I've seen for wider Icom brand filters for sideband imply the
skirts aren't particularly steep. You might be able to compensate for
this with the twin pbt.

I don't know how much room you've got in the case, but you don't have to
buy your filters from Icom.

Besides milspec filters, you might check into what Kiwa is offering.