Old November 14th 04, 04:11 PM
Lance Storm

Default Reason why?

Why did Radio Deutsche Welle stop transmitting on SW in English?

Two weeks ago, I heard that Swiss Radio International was going to do the
same.

What will become of the shorwave bands?

---------------------
For accurate coverage of the day's events, go to
http://www.nationalreview.com

Old November 14th 04, 04:25 PM
Volker Tonn

Lance Storm schrieb:

Why did Radio Deutsche Welle stop transmitting on SW in English?

Because you guys should learn some german...

SCNR

Old November 14th 04, 05:04 PM
Al Patrick

Sadam, the Chinese, the Russians and now the Japanese have decided not
to support the U.S. dollar - at least to the extent it has been
supported in the past.

The English speaking politicians of America have decided NOT to close
off the borders though they claim to be fighting terrorism. Instead
they are spreading terrorism. We are supposed to become so terrorized
that we willingly give up ALL our rights to those who would gladly
destroy us. We even have to put on our coffee cups - in four different
languages - "Caution Hot" so that invaders no longer have to learn
English - or learn that coffee is SUPPOSED to be HOT.

Perhaps this is just one more step in phasing out the good ol' English
language just as there is an attempt to phase out the WASPs (White
Anglo-Saxon Protestants) and the God which they at one time served.
That was before they succumbed to the doctrines of Balaam.

Why should ANYONE broadcast in any language that they are attempting to
phase out? Perhaps we could now do completely away with ABC, NBC, CBS
and CNN except that they are needed to continue to lull us to sleep!

Good night! ;-)

=================

Old November 14th 04, 05:29 PM
Brian Hill

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
Sadam, the Chinese, the Russians and now the Japanese have decided not
to support the U.S. dollar - at least to the extent it has been
supported in the past.

Do you have any badly faked pictures to prove your point?

B.H.

Old November 14th 04, 06:16 PM
Brian Hill

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
You wouldn't believe any evidence I presented so why bother? :-)

True.

B.H.

Old November 15th 04, 05:39 AM
Stereophile22

Why should ANYONE broadcast in any language that they are attempting to
phase out?

well, all those foreigners are complaining that us Americans arew only
listening to news from American sources and aren't listening to their news
sources. (despite the fact that many Americans have and listen to shortwave
radios.

If they phase out their English language services, then we Americans will
indeed be limited to hearing news only from American sources. Not everyone has
a computer. And most people still don't. And a lot can't afford a computer,
either.

Old November 16th 04, 01:21 AM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:04:28 -0500, Al Patrick
wrote:

We even have to put on our coffee cups - in four different
languages - "Caution Hot" so that invaders no longer have to learn
English - or learn that coffee is SUPPOSED to be HOT.

One word -- lawyers.

As for multiple languages, I once worked for an outfit that
had rolls of "GARBAGE" stickers to peel off and apply to boxes or bags
to be thrown out. The word for garbage was also written in about eight
other languages, including Spanish, Veitnamese, chinese, etc. Someone
once became offended that the word was in so many languages. I
explained to him, "The word GARBAGE is in English because that's the
only language you speak. The rest are because none of your kids will
apply for the job, Whitey."
Old November 14th 04, 05:40 PM
Mike Terry

"Lance Storm" wrote in message

What will become of the shorwave bands?

Lance,

Its sad but it does allow weaker power dx stations to be heard on sw. The
internet is fast taking over from sw radio. That's progress I suppose...

Mike

Old November 15th 04, 02:45 AM
Steve

"Mike Terry" wrote in message ...
"Lance Storm" wrote in message

What will become of the shorwave bands?

Lance,

Its sad but it does allow weaker power dx stations to be heard on sw. The
internet is fast taking over from sw radio. That's progress I suppose...

Mike

Good point...it does allow weaker stations to be heard, which is a
good thing.

Broadcasters will come and go, whether they broadcast over shortwave
or any other medium. I for one see no grounds for pessimism here.

Sometimes I have the sense that when people talk about the "future of
shortwave", what they really mean is the future of whatever large
broadcast stations they listen to on a regular basis--not the future
of the shortwave bands themselves. I see some reasons to be
pessimistic about (some of) the former (depending on their goals and
program content). I see no reason to be pessimistic about the latter.

Steve