Old November 16th 04, 05:43 PM
Michael Lawson

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Michael Lawson wrote:

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
DeWayne wrote:

Should I?

If you can find the auction where he bought it, it would

probably
give
you a more reliable indication of it's performance and

condition.

I consider the sellers reputation when deciding what I'm willing

bid.

Lately it seems $400 is a pretty good price for an R8. If I

wanted
it,
I'd go maybe $250 for this one.

Okay, I know the differences between the R8/R8A/R8B, but
are the differences enough to make it worth the differences
in price used?? I've seen ~$400 for an R8, ~$650 for an R8A,
and ~$800+ for an R8B. I know that the R8 had it's flaws,
but enough for a $400 difference?? Heck, Universal has an
Icom R-71A for ~$500, and that's only $100 less than what it
was about 10 years ago on the used market.

--Mike L.

This web page has basic information about lots of radios,
including all of the R8 series radios.

http://www.dxing.com/rx/rxindex.htm

The two biggest differences to me are the original R8 has
the nice metal tuning knob, and the R8b has sideband
selectable sync detection.

They do hold their value pretty well.

I had an original R8, and kept it for quite a while after I
stopped using it because every time I'd fire it up to take a
picture to sell it, I decided I just wasn't ready to get rid of
it yet.

It was the first radio I had that lived up to my expectations
for the hobby, and I thought it did well in terms of
providing bang for the buck.

So Mark, was the extra for the R8B worth it, in your opinion??
Or maybe a better way of looking at it is the following: if a
person has a Sat 800 already, is it worth it to get an R8 or
R8B along with it, or is the money better spent on a
radio that does something else really well, like dxing with
an Icom R71A??

Yeah, I've just finished putting a new PC together for
the family, and I've got that ichy feeling again that
I need to play with more electronics.

(Bad Mike!! Stay in budget!!)

--Mike L.

Old November 16th 04, 09:30 PM
Mark S. Holden

DeWayne wrote:

[...]

I've never had an R8b. Other than the 7030+, and a Sony Sw-07 I didn't like, everything since the R8 has been a rack mount.

Out of the box, I liked the R8 better than the 7030+. But the 7030+ could take extra filters so I added ones I liked. It was also a more practical radio to adapt into a portable because it draws less power than the R8's.

For program listening, I'd expect the major difference between the R8b and the Sat 800 to be build quality, and size. Both are Drake designs. For utility work and chasing DX, I'd expect the R8b to have a meaningful edge.

Rack mount radios I'd consider include the Harris RF-550 (my favorite radio), the WJ-8716 or 8718, and possibly the Racal 6790/gm, though personally I didn't think it had much of a performance edge over the R8. The Harris is a bit tougher to find, but
all of them usually sell for under $1000.

Harris also has a 590 and a 590a that are more modern, but I've yet to try one, and they don't seem to have the sideband selectable sync detection I get on my 550. The 590 usually sells for under $2k and the 590a brings a little more.

Yeah, I've just finished putting a new PC together for
the family, and I've got that ichy feeling again that
I need to play with more electronics.

(Bad Mike!! Stay in budget!!)

Just remember, a great computer you buy today will be nearly useless in six years, but a great radio will still be fun to use in ten or twenty years.

--Mike L.

Old November 17th 04, 04:37 AM
starman

Michael Lawson wrote:

Okay, I know the differences between the R8/R8A/R8B, but
are the differences enough to make it worth the differences
in price used?? I've seen ~$400 for an R8, ~$650 for an R8A,
and ~$800+ for an R8B. I know that the R8 had it's flaws,
but enough for a $400 difference?? Heck, Universal has an
Icom R-71A for ~$500, and that's only $100 less than what it
was about 10 years ago on the used market.

--Mike L.

I wouldn't pay $650 for an R8A but $800 is a good price for an R8B.

Old November 17th 04, 04:50 AM
starman

"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

This web page has basic information about lots of radios, including all of the R8 series radios.

http://www.dxing.com/rx/rxindex.htm

The two biggest differences to me are the original R8 has the nice metal tuning knob, and the R8b has sideband selectable sync detection.

They do hold their value pretty well.

I had an original R8, and kept it for quite a while after I stopped using it because every time I'd fire it up to take a picture to sell it, I decided I just wasn't ready to get rid of it yet.

It was the first radio I had that lived up to my expectations for the hobby, and I thought it did well in terms of providing bang for the buck.

I actually returned a new R8 in the late 80's because I didn't like the
sync detector. It unlocked too much, particularly when the signal faded.
I waited almost ten years for Drake to get the bugs out of it. The sync
in the R8B is fantastic. I'll take that feature over the metal knob of
the original R8 any day.

Old November 17th 04, 03:39 PM
Michael Lawson

So an R8 - R8A wasn't that much of a jump but an
R8A - R8B was, in your opinion??

--Mike L.

"starman" wrote in message
Michael Lawson wrote:

Okay, I know the differences between the R8/R8A/R8B, but
are the differences enough to make it worth the differences
in price used?? I've seen ~$400 for an R8, ~$650 for an R8A,
and ~$800+ for an R8B. I know that the R8 had it's flaws,
but enough for a $400 difference?? Heck, Universal has an
Icom R-71A for ~$500, and that's only $100 less than what it
was about 10 years ago on the used market.

--Mike L.

I wouldn't pay $650 for an R8A but $800 is a good price for an R8B.

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

=---

Old November 18th 04, 04:49 AM
Dan Robinson

I have had an R8 since 1993 -- still prefer its clean lines in comparison
with the later models, and in terms of reception is one heck of a radio

Old November 18th 04, 05:31 AM
Lucky

"starman" wrote in message

Michael Lawson wrote:

Okay, I know the differences between the R8/R8A/R8B, but
are the differences enough to make it worth the differences
in price used?? I've seen ~$400 for an R8, ~$650 for an R8A,
and ~$800+ for an R8B. I know that the R8 had it's flaws,
but enough for a $400 difference?? Heck, Universal has an
Icom R-71A for ~$500, and that's only $100 less than what it
was about 10 years ago on the used market.

--Mike L.

I wouldn't pay $650 for an R8A but $800 is a good price for an R8B.

News==----

http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

=---

I seem to be under the impression the R8 is a better buy then a R8A since it
has an optical encoder. I'm talking used equipment now. I have heard of
people's encoder going bad on the R8a, but not many on the R8. Is this
something I should continue to believe?

Lucky

Old November 18th 04, 08:41 AM
starman

Lucky wrote:

I seem to be under the impression the R8 is a better buy then a R8A since it
has an optical encoder. I'm talking used equipment now. I have heard of
people's encoder going bad on the R8a, but not many on the R8. Is this
something I should continue to believe?

Lucky

Not much is known about the reliability of the optical encoder on the
original R8. I've never seen anyone mention a failure on this group but
Drake claimed they had problems with it and that's why they changed to
the mechancal encoder. I would still prefer the better ergonomics (more
dedicated buttons) of the R8A over the optical tuning encoder of the R8.

Old November 18th 04, 08:52 AM
starman

Michael Lawson wrote:

starman wrote:

I wouldn't pay $650 for an R8A but $800 is a good price for an R8B.

So an R8 - R8A wasn't that much of a jump but an
R8A - R8B was, in your opinion??

--Mike L.

My comment was mainly based on how much each model cost when it was new
compared to what they sell for used. A new R8B currently costs almost
twice as much as the original R8 when it was new.