Old November 17th 04, 02:56 AM
Knowledge

Default Radio Cairo Egypt on 7260

I'm listening to it right now. This is the first time I have ever
picked up a station from Africa with my shortwave unit.

They are playing some interesting music.

As the clouds disappear around here the reception picks up by leaps
and bounds.
Old November 17th 04, 03:04 AM
GO BEARCATS

I'm listening to it right now. This is the first time I have ever
picked up a station from Africa with my shortwave unit.

They are playing some interesting music.

Coming in very nicely in Ohio.

Old November 17th 04, 03:13 AM
Michael Lawson

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message
I'm listening to it right now. This is the first time I have ever
picked up a station from Africa with my shortwave unit.

They are playing some interesting music.

Coming in very nicely in Ohio.

Yes, very. You can tell that the person doing the
discussion isn't perfectly fluent in English, but
he gets good marks for trying.

Is it just me, or is Radio Cairo's sound quality
better than what it used to be? Okay, it's still
not that great, but it's better than hardly understanding
anything at all.

--Mike L.

Old November 17th 04, 11:17 AM
dxAce

Knowledge wrote:

I'm listening to it right now. This is the first time I have ever
picked up a station from Africa with my shortwave unit.

They are playing some interesting music.

As the clouds disappear around here the reception picks up by leaps
and bounds.

I think you'll find that the clouds being there or not being there has little or
nothing to do with SW reception.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old November 17th 04, 04:06 PM
Brian Sturges

I picked them up faintly on 7115 during the late evening on Nov 14- did'nt
record the time. Passport lists this english freq for times 23:00 to
00:30UTC. Listening in S.W. Missouri. Forget about the clouds- as long as
there is no lightening in the area, the local weather makes little
difference to SWL; there are too many other things to goof up reception.
This is my hobby when I can't use a telescope!
Brian

Old November 18th 04, 01:01 AM
Radio Flyer

"dxAce" wrote in message

I think you'll find that the clouds being there or not being there has
little or
nothing to do with SW reception.

And I am leaning toward nothing to do with it.

Old November 18th 04, 02:52 AM
Bill

"Brian Sturges" wrote in message . com...
I picked them up faintly on 7115 during the late evening on Nov 14- did'nt
record the time. Passport lists this english freq for times 23:00 to
00:30UTC. Listening in S.W. Missouri. Forget about the clouds- as long as
there is no lightening in the area, the local weather makes little
difference to SWL; there are too many other things to goof up reception.
This is my hobby when I can't use a telescope!
Brian

It seems that quite a few DXers are also amateur astronomers. I find
that in both hobbies, the support (antenna or mount) is just as
important as the main
instrument (receiver or telescope).
Old November 18th 04, 08:59 AM
starman

adio Flyer wrote:

I think you'll find that the clouds being there or not being there has
little or
nothing to do with SW reception.

And I am leaning toward nothing to do with it.

It's quite likely there is some connection between the ionosphere and
tropospheric weather (clouds) but so far it's not at all clear. no pun
:-)