Old November 21st 04, 01:10 AM
Beloved Leader

Default North Korean Radio Receiver

There's a neat link at RadioIntel today.
http://www.radiointel.com/

"North Korea: Journalism In The Service Of Kim Jong-il"
http://english.ohmynews.com/articlev...97456&rel_no=1

Scroll about 40% of the way down the page to see a picture of a NK
receiver. Typically, it is set to receive only one station.

I cross-posted this, because 1) it's shortwave, and 2), it's a tube
receiver. I can't tell you anything about the vintage of the radio.

Old November 21st 04, 02:35 AM
R Oxley

It's there. Click on the second link, the one with "ohmynews" in it, then
scroll about half way down, slowly. It is the very last photo in the
article. Volume, on/off, tone maybe. No tuner.

Bob

Old November 21st 04, 02:49 AM
Jim Murphy

Found it. Clicking on the wrong link.
Thanks for the assist. Jim

Old November 21st 04, 03:17 AM
tommyknocker

Beloved Leader wrote:

There's a neat link at RadioIntel today.
http://www.radiointel.com/

"North Korea: Journalism In The Service Of Kim Jong-il"
http://english.ohmynews.com/articlev...97456&rel_no=1

Scroll about 40% of the way down the page to see a picture of a NK
receiver. Typically, it is set to receive only one station.

I cross-posted this, because 1) it's shortwave, and 2), it's a tube
receiver. I can't tell you anything about the vintage of the radio.

While we're on the subject of radio in totalitarian dictatorships, I
seem to remember somebody telling me that the Volksradios
(Volkempfanger?) made in Nazi Germany were primarily set up for a
connection similar to cable TV today, except with only 2 or 3 choices.
IN fact, I once saw one of these little radios with a very simple three
tube circuit and a connector for the cable. But the Volkempfangers had
tuners.

Old November 21st 04, 03:49 AM
tommyknocker

Beloved Leader wrote:

There's a neat link at RadioIntel today.
http://www.radiointel.com/

"North Korea: Journalism In The Service Of Kim Jong-il"
http://english.ohmynews.com/articlev...97456&rel_no=1

Scroll about 40% of the way down the page to see a picture of a NK
receiver. Typically, it is set to receive only one station.

I cross-posted this, because 1) it's shortwave, and 2), it's a tube
receiver. I can't tell you anything about the vintage of the radio.

In appearance, it reminds me of a 1960s Philips. My guess is that the
two knobs are on/off and volume, and the three pushbuttons grouped
together are radio station presets. The back reveals what looks like a
three tube design (unless there are 1 or 2 tubes in back that are not
evident) which reminds me of the three tube design of the volksradios of
Nazi Germany. It's probably a regenerative circuit, as were the
volksradios. I wonder if the plugs in back that are highlighted in the
photo are for some sort of cable radio connection; they look like RCA
style jacks. Another thought from actually reading the article: if all
the official sets use tubes, then a transistor radio like the kind the
article says will be smuggled in (possibly the same initiative paid for
with US taxpayer money mentioned on the rrs NG?) would be very
conspicuous.

Old November 21st 04, 03:59 AM
Robert Casey

then a transistor radio like the kind the
article says will be smuggled in (possibly the same initiative paid for
with US taxpayer money mentioned on the rrs NG?) would be very
conspicuous.

Presumidly the transistors come with earphones, so a spy
doesn't overhear you listening to the imperialistic lies.
Old November 21st 04, 06:00 AM
RFCOMMSYS

Why would they use tubes? Aren't transistors cheaper and more widely available?

Old November 21st 04, 06:10 AM
-exray

tommyknocker wrote:

While we're on the subject of radio in totalitarian dictatorships, I
seem to remember somebody telling me that the Volksradios
(Volkempfanger?) made in Nazi Germany were primarily set up for a
connection similar to cable TV today, except with only 2 or 3 choices.
IN fact, I once saw one of these little radios with a very simple three
tube circuit and a connector for the cable. But the Volkempfangers had
tuners.

No, that's not quite accurate. The VE radios were built as cheap as
dirt so as to get one in everybody's hands because radio in that era was
still a bit of luxury. The American Equivalent was a "chicken in every
pot".
Being a cheapo radio it wasn't apt to be used to receive FOREIGN
propaganda, only the national version and that made it a very valuable
tool. It probably took Hitler's goons all of 10 minutes to
'nationalize' all the broadcasters in Germany in the 30s. They
nationalized all the radio manufacturers and as a result you can find
VEs bearing every brand name that was extant in the era.
Of course any skilled radio nutt could string up enough wire to hear BBC
Droitwich, etc should he have chosen to do so in spite of the VE being
your basic one-tube + rectifier set.
They cured this foreign reception problem with a penalty of death for
listening to foreign broadcasts...first in the overrun countries like
Poland and Czechoslovakia...but didn't institute this death mandate in
Germany until something like 1943.
This was spelled out without vagarity on a simple knob-hanger label or a
label on the back panel of the set .
Cabled radio was a different scenario. The UK had this as did much of
Europe and the USSR. Even Barbados in the West Indies had cable radio
up until the early 70s. I hear Red China still uses it. Basically a
speaker box with maybe an audio amp fed by telco/cable lines. Not a
'radio' at all but still a tool available to some Central Control for
tax revenue collection or dissemination of the official word.
VEs are common little radios and carry a great dose of 20th century
history. In radio terms they are a POS although the basic design shows
the ultimate in cost-cutting tradeoffs with the best of engineering
available at the time. The cardboard speaker frames still ring true,
for example. Interesting little sets, in the US we have no equivalent
to such a thing.

-Bill M
Old November 21st 04, 06:15 AM
Frank Dresser

"RFCOMMSYS" wrote in message
Why would they use tubes? Aren't transistors cheaper and more widely

available?

I doubt the pictured radio has been in production any time in the last 20
years or more. Transistors/ICs are alot cheaper than tubes. North Korea
has some trade relations with China and I'd guess that the few radios
available are imported from China or made with Chinese electronics.

Frank Dresser