Old December 2nd 04, 03:45 AM
m II

Default Accidental AM-DX 860kHz @ 0305UTC

-=jd=- wrote:

Anyone know of an AM broadcaster on 860khz at about 0300 UTC
with a long-winded, French speaking program host that is a
believable distance from, or in, the Atlanta area?

-=jd=-

May be CJBC in Toronto, Ontario

http://www.sunspace.org/radiolist_en.html

mike
Old December 2nd 04, 03:59 AM
tommyknocker

m II wrote:

-=jd=- wrote:

Anyone know of an AM broadcaster on 860khz at about 0300 UTC
with a long-winded, French speaking program host that is a
believable distance from, or in, the Atlanta area?

-=jd=-

May be CJBC in Toronto, Ontario

http://www.sunspace.org/radiolist_en.html

mike

Is there a station in Haiti on 860? Creole can sound like French to
somebody who doesn't know the difference.

Old December 2nd 04, 03:59 AM
J999w

May be CJBC in Toronto, Ontario

CJBC is the dominant night time station on that freq. here in WI, although the
Alberta (?) station does poke through now and again(also in french).

jw
k9rzz
milwaukee
Old December 2nd 04, 04:09 AM
Jack Painter

"J999w" wrote

May be CJBC in Toronto, Ontario

CJBC is the dominant night time station on that freq. here in WI,

although the
Alberta (?) station does poke through now and again(also in french).

jw
k9rzz
milwaukee

You mean that stupid second-language is spoken somewhere else besides
Quebec?

Jack

Old December 2nd 04, 04:42 AM
m II

Jack Painter wrote:

You mean that stupid second-language is spoken somewhere else besides
Quebec?

Yes. English is VERY common as a second language. The French were here
before the Anglos by a few years. Remember the Louisiana Purchase? The
Spanish had the run of the place for a while too, but mainly in the
South and the West coast. Now, Spanish is again spreading northward at
an ever increasing pace. I'm listening to 1480 AM now, I think it's Texas.

mike

Old December 2nd 04, 06:45 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

-=jd=- wrote:
Anyone know of an AM broadcaster on 860khz at about 0300 UTC
with a long-winded, French speaking program host that is a
believable distance from, or in, the Atlanta area?

Most probably Radio-Canada from Toronto. (are you far enough from WAEC,
your local religious station on that frequency in Atlanta? I'm pretty
confident WAEC doesn't air any French though.)

http://www.radio-canada.ca, not that it'll do you much good if you don't
understand French. (I'm quite sure there's a link for listening over
the Internet on that page but I can't find it...)

President Bush is in Canada so I would expect to hear him mentioned
early in the top-of-hour newscasts if it's indeed a Canadian station. I
don't think the visit would be particularly newsworthy in any other
French-speaking country.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old December 2nd 04, 06:46 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

J999w wrote:
CJBC is the dominant night time station on that freq. here in WI, although the
Alberta (?) station does poke through now and again(also in french).

Saskatchewan. (Saskatoon, a pretty good haul from anywhere in the States!)

Old December 2nd 04, 01:06 PM
tianli

"Jack Painter"

You mean that stupid second-language is spoken somewhere else besides
Quebec?

It's Canada's version of Habana Radio Rebelde(sp.). Give up, your
surrounded ;-)

Old December 4th 04, 01:07 AM
dxAce

-=jd=- wrote:

On Thu 02 Dec 2004 01:45:09a, Doug Smith W9WI
wrote in message
:

-=jd=- wrote:
Anyone know of an AM broadcaster on 860khz at about 0300
UTC with a long-winded, French speaking program host that
is a believable distance from, or in, the Atlanta area?

Most probably Radio-Canada from Toronto. (are you far
enough from WAEC, your local religious station on that
frequency in Atlanta? I'm pretty confident WAEC doesn't
air any French though.)

I'm not familiar with WAEC, but if it's a religious station in
Atlanta, you are *waaaaay* safe in presuming they would not
have an all-French language broadcast

http://www.radio-canada.ca, not that it'll do you much good
if you don't understand French. (I'm quite sure there's a
link for listening over the Internet on that page but I
can't find it...)

President Bush is in Canada so I would expect to hear him
mentioned early in the top-of-hour newscasts if it's indeed
a Canadian station. I don't think the visit would be
particularly newsworthy in any other French-speaking
country.

I'm thinking it was the Toronto station. It surprised me...

I can often hear WSB here out of Atlanta at night on 750. I like to catch Neil
Boortz, though if I want to he is carried in the mornings here on my local 640
station.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 4th 04, 09:23 AM
m II

-=jd=- wrote:

Ehhh... I wouldn't think this was Haiti... Listening to them,
I had a mental picture of turtle-necks and toques.

Close..it's may be Jamaica, mon!

http://www.jamaicans.com/bobsled/

That would also explain the toques and Turtlenecks

mike