Old December 2nd 04, 08:52 AM
Mark

Default Isla de Pascua (Easter Island)...

2 Dec 07:33 UTC 8867 kHz USB - "Lan Chile 833" calls "Pascua" and passes a
position report in Spanish. Later on, at 07:52, giving position update to
"Tahiti" radio.

Mark.

Auckland

New Zealand.

Old December 2nd 04, 02:51 PM
John Plimmer

WONDERFUL CATCH!
I have been playing cat and mouse with that station for years without any
luck
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s.
RX Drake R8B, SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop

Old December 3rd 04, 05:21 AM
Mark

John,

I know how you feel. Easter Island is (sort of!) one of my neighbours, but
haven't ever heard an HF signal from their before. (I had the pleasure of
visiting Easter Island some years ago and can recommend it!)

I could hear both the aircraft and the ground station, although the aircraft
was a louder signal, both very audible though.

Mark.
Auckland,
New Zealand.

Old December 3rd 04, 05:09 PM
Grumpus

Wow Mark, that must be some catch to garner such high praise from Mr.
Plimmer! By the way, what receiver and antenna did you hear this one
on?

Regards,

Grumpus

Old December 3rd 04, 05:52 PM
John Plimmer

Actually Grumpus, Isla de Pascua (Easter Island) is the Holy Grail of the
ultimate DX catch from here in South Africa.
There are only two ways of catching it:
Firstly on 580 Khz MW they have a 250 watt station = the chances of getting
that are very remote indeed.
Second is the aeradio station at Hanga Roa - problem is here that only about
two a/c regularly go that route a day.
The a/c from Santiago, Chile, to Tahiti via Isla de Pascua (Easter Island)
and the one returning.
So you see there is hardly any traffic to pick up and you have got to be on
air listening for that one and only a/c at the right exact time.
So Mark's catch, even though he is much nearer to Hanga Roa than me, is
still brilliant listening to catch the only a/c of the single daily flight.

Here in South Africa, that a/c movement takes place at 3.00 am in the
morning my time, and as you can imagine, I am not often listening at that
hour.

So Mark got a rare and unique catch

PS - even dxAce has not got Isla de Pascua (Easter Island) on his QSL
list...........

Old December 3rd 04, 08:03 PM
dxAce

John Plimmer wrote:

[...]

That's because the only thing on my QSL list are shortwave broadcasting
stations.....

Mediumwave and utility stations don't count as shortwave broadcast.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old December 3rd 04, 08:23 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

John Plimmer wrote:

[...]

One thing is, the last time I checked my QSL list I think there were at least 23
countries there that are no longer on the air SWBC wise, since then a couple more
have either disappeared or are in the process of doing so.

A sorry state of affairs.

Old December 4th 04, 08:56 AM
Mark

Hi Grumpus,

Heard this on a JRC NRD-545, with a one of my three antennas, a random wire
about 12 metres (almost 40 feet) long.

And, six minutes ago, just heard Lan Chile again, calling Pascua, en
espanol! Can't believe it!

Mark.

om...

Old December 4th 04, 09:05 AM
Mark

Yes John,

I, too, understand there are two flights daily from Santiago de Chile to
Hanga Roa (Easter Island, or Isla de Pascua). I heard (and have just heard
again, minutes ago) Lan Chile flight 833. The other flight is Lan Chile 033.
I flew on this flight, way back in July, 1986.

As you say John, it is interesting to hear Easter Island, even from Auckland
(3,830 nautical miles, bearing 105 degrees). As I write this, I hear Lan
Chile again (second time this evening) and the signal is being stepped on by
Qantas flights talking to Auckland, and other flights talking to San
Francisco. (And now, having been unsuccessful on raising Pascua: "Santiago,
Santiago, Lan Chile Ocho Tres Tres en Ocho Ocho Seis Siete", in English:
"Lan Chile 833 on 8867".

Mark.