Old December 8th 04, 02:03 PM

Default Yahoo Shortwave Radios Group

I've joined several Yahoo shortwave groups over the past week. Degen,
Tecsun, Sony, etc., all have some great information. The Yahoo
Shortwave Radios group has me puzzled though. I completed the
information sheet last week and I still can't get in. Yahoo says "Your
membership is awaiting approval by the group owner".

It must be quite an exclusive shortwave radio club to require that much
of a background check. Thinking back over all the forums, nets, bbses,
etc., I've belonged to over the years I've never had a forum owner
limit access...usually they welcome it.

Old December 8th 04, 02:46 PM
Jim Hackett

Some moderators are just plain lazy. Like the VR-5000 group. It can take
up to a week for your post to show up. If you question this or ask other
similar questions, they don't show up AT ALL...

ps.com...

Old December 8th 04, 03:37 PM
Mark S. Holden

I've joined several Yahoo shortwave groups over the past week. Degen,
Tecsun, Sony, etc., all have some great information. The Yahoo
Shortwave Radios group has me puzzled though. I completed the
information sheet last week and I still can't get in. Yahoo says "Your
membership is awaiting approval by the group owner".

It must be quite an exclusive shortwave radio club to require that much
of a background check. Thinking back over all the forums, nets, bbses,
etc., I've belonged to over the years I've never had a forum owner
limit access...usually they welcome it.

These things do vary - I think it took a few weeks for me to be approved when I joined a 7030 reflector. Premium RX took less than a day, and the TMB Telescope reflector approved me in minutes.

The "owner" of the group may be on vacation, or too busy to check the email account used to manage the group.

You might also take another look at the page where you sent the subscription request to in case there is a request for you to do something as part of getting approved. The group I set up for my astronomical society asks applicants to tell us something
about themselves, and to include some indication they have an idea what a group like ours might do as a way of protecting us from spam.

With a shortwave news group, the owner may check your usenet posting history to make sure you're not a troll. That's not a time consuming thing, but if this is the busy time of year for them, it's one more thing to slow them down.
Old December 8th 04, 07:24 PM

And a couple of hours after posting this I now have access.
John prostrates himself on the temple floor and reverently chants:
Oh Thank You Gods of Yahoo!!!

Jim Hackett wrote:
Some moderators are just plain lazy. Like the VR-5000 group. It can

take
up to a week for your post to show up. If you question this or ask

other
similar questions, they don't show up AT ALL...

ps.com...

Old December 9th 04, 02:19 PM

Chapter III. I posted a response to a question about antenna tuners
yesterday. So far it hasn't shown up on the Yahoo Shortwave Radios
forum. I think I may have run afoul of another forum rule though. A
section of the welcoming email to that forum indicated that responses
to forum members had to be sent to an email address. Apparently

I'm hoping that the forum owner will clarify things in his response to
my email. Hopefully it was either some misunderstanding on my part or
a poorly worded message on theirs.

I've never had to jump through so many hoops to just read messages and
post a response. I'm trying to respond to the age-old question: Do
antenna tuners really help SWL's. Nothing inflamatory.....

Old December 9th 04, 09:31 PM
RHF

HJS,
..
If you had a Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna ? Question ? .
..
You should have posted it here on "Rec.Radio.Shortwave".
RRSWL= http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...dio.shortwave/
..
Or - On the Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna eGroup on YAHOO !
..
Usually whether here or there; you will get someone who will
Throw-a-Rock-at-the-Barn {Answer/Reply} within a Day and
often have an answer/reply within Hours.
..
Also - You could try "Rec.Radio.Amateur.Antenna" for some of your
Antenna Questions: If you are willing to get a bit more 'Technical'
about the Subject of "Antennas".
RRAA= http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ateur.antenna/
..
iane ~ RHF
..
All are WELCOME at the Shortwave Listener (SWL) "Antenna Ashram"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/502
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
[ With the a SWL Antenna of your own making. ]
..
..

Old December 10th 04, 01:52 PM

Hmmm...my experience is different. With a reasonably quiet receiver my
experience has been that a tuner brings both ambient noise and the
desired signal up equally in strength. Since background noise is
usually greater than the receiver noise level, a tuner functions more
like a volume control.

Old December 10th 04, 02:22 PM

I too have found a tuner will bring up the signal strength for Radio
Flyspeck to a nice level. But it will also being up static and other
signals on the same frequency in proportion. I don't know how a tuner
could select one signal and lift it above all the other competing
transmissions on the same frequency.
Transmit is of course a whole 'nuther ballgame.