Old December 12th 04, 05:48 PM
tianli

Default Mauritania - 4845KHz @0300 UTC

Radio Mauritanie, Nouakchott, Mauritania
100KW(?) on 4845KHz in Arabic. Heard @0300 UTC.

ID = "Hunna Nouakchott iza'at gumhuriyati al Islamiyya al mauritaniaya"

Strong signal into the US upper Midwest last night.

Discussion (about music?) between two males in Arabic. Interspersed live
music with a mesmerizing female vocalist, light percussion and a wonderful
African reed hand instrument the name of which escapes me.

Old December 12th 04, 09:59 PM
tianli

Discussion (about music?) between two males in Arabic. Interspersed live
music with a mesmerizing female vocalist, light percussion and a wonderful
African reed hand instrument the name of which escapes me.

Lamellaphones
These "thumb pianos" are plucked idiophones unique to Africa and widely
distributed throughout the continent. In construction they consist basically
of a set of tuned metal or bamboo tongues of varying length fitted to a
board, box, or calabash resonator, their free ends being twanged by the
player's thumbs and fingers. Supplementary rattling or buzzing devices are
often added, and board-mounted varieties are often played inside a half
calabash or bowl to enhance the resonance. They serve mainly for song
accompaniment. Some common names for regional varieties of the instrument
are likembe, mbira, and timbrh.

http://www.britannica.com

Old December 12th 04, 10:22 PM

A regular and enjoyable catch on the east coast of the US.

Hearing it makes me want to use a better antenna, so I could hear more
tropical band stations.

Old December 14th 04, 01:24 AM
tianli

They had a very interesting musical program which caused my dial to stop.
Would hope others would be more forthcoming with any "interesting" catches.

I'm not in any race to log stations just enjoy posting what's "out there"
and
what can be heard even with a modest radio and antenna. I find it more
relaxing to DX from a lounge chair in the living room or by the kitchen
table.
The dreary basement shack sees less and less of me :-)