Old December 19th 04, 04:20 PM
Frank Dresser

"peter berrett" wrote in message
Maybe not.

Perhaps what we will see is a 2 tier system. Broadcasts focussed at rich
countries will use DRM while broadcasts for poor countries (perhaps the
majority) will remain AM.

I'm not sure there's much practical value in one first world country
broadcasting propaganda to another first world country, but if there is,
satellite radio/TV makes about much sense as DRM on shortwave.

I suppose there might be some value if the government SW broadcasters were
to lease time on their DRM transmitters to commerical and religious
broadcasters.

Over time the price of DRm radios should drop allowing more and more

people
to use DRM.

cheers Peter

The price will go down when someone decides to invest what it takes to go
into DRM mass production. However, the costs of that investment aren't
trivial, and I don't see much demand for DRM.

Frank Dresser