Old December 15th 04, 03:25 AM
Theosus

Default Best time for pirates?

I have been listening to SW for two months or so now after a LONG absence. I
have heard many different countries but what I really want to hear are pirates.
From logs I have seen on newsgroups it seems most prefer 6900-7000khz, whereas
I remembered the standard years ago was 7400-7500khz. I have only heard one so
far (wtni i think...). Are there any times that seem to work best? I know the
pirates chose any time, but what time could I expect the best conditions from
their low power? I DXed on the CB band (or just above it, between CB channel
40, and the ham 10 meter section) probably twelve years ago, and seem to
remember sunset/sunrise giving me the best distance. Any hints on logging these
elusive guys would be great!
Using a sangean 803 and a long wire antenna.
Old December 15th 04, 04:26 AM
DesignGuy

"Theosus" wrote in message
I have been listening to SW for two months or so now after a LONG absence.

have heard many different countries but what I really want to hear are

pirates.
From logs I have seen on newsgroups it seems most prefer 6900-7000khz,

whereas
I remembered the standard years ago was 7400-7500khz. I have only heard

one so
far (wtni i think...). Are there any times that seem to work best? I know

the
pirates chose any time, but what time could I expect the best conditions

from
their low power? I DXed on the CB band (or just above it, between CB

channel
40, and the ham 10 meter section) probably twelve years ago, and seem to
remember sunset/sunrise giving me the best distance. Any hints on logging

these
elusive guys would be great!
Using a sangean 803 and a long wire antenna.

Try 6925 and 6955 KHz. Sometimes Pirates use USB, other times AM mode.

Time of day varies, they seem to be running earlier than in years past...
2100 UTC until 0400 or 0500 UTC. Holidays are always a good time to listen
(Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's).

For European Pirates I can't offer much advice, except that I've had some
luck on 6220 KHZ around 0600-0700 UTC.

Hope this helps, and welcome back to the SW hobby!