Old December 16th 04, 09:51 AM
Dan Schopp

Default FS: Radio Shack DX 394 SW Receiver

Just in time for Christmas is a fully modified Radio Shack DX 394 all mode
SW receiver. The radio has a Kiwa filter installed. Listed below are the
mods that have been done to this radio and a description of the radio:
This Radio Shack Realistic DX-394, with the famous /KIWA FILTER. Overall
condition of the radio very good. It shows minor signs of wear that do not
affect the overall appearance of the unit. One of the folding feet on the
bottom has been broken off, so two large rubber feet have been installed on
the bottom of the cabinet to replace this feature. Has been carefully
modified and now works better than it did when it was new! It has a fine
tuning dial, main tuning dial, RF gain and volume control. A Large Liquid
Crystal Display shows the time,band, frequency, Signal strength Five
Programmable Timers, store freq. & on/off times. Tape out jack on back. Dual
Clock, shows UTC(GMT) and local time. Search Tuning, scans up or down the
band for signals.Memory tuning, stores 160 frequencies in memories. Direct
access tuning, input frequency thru keypad. Rotary Tuning dial.Lock,
frequency can't move even if dial is moved.Headphone and external speaker
jacks. Monitor Memory, temporary stores frequency.

Two Antenna jacks-Standard coax or RCA jack. Attenuator to reduce signal
from super strong stations. Memory Backup, lithium battery keeps memory
frequencies saved with power off. Operates on 12VDC or standard AC.
Documentation for the mods done are included along with a copy of the
standard operating manual. Here are the mods on this DX-394, KIWA FILTER
installed in the IF, greatly helps selectivity in the crowded shortwave
bands. The "Chuff Chuff" noise when fine tuning was stopped with a simple
mod. Keyboard Beeps mod was done to stop the annoying Beeping. Cross talk
Mod was done by adding components in the ceramic filter circuit to reduce
interference. This greatly reduces the problems from strong adjacent channel
interference or bleed thru from the filters.Noise Blanker Mods improve the
radio Noise Blanker on AM and also make it functional in the SSB and CW
reception position. Adding some resistors and a Schottkey diode in the
circuit and adjusting the VR1 control "Greatly Improves the radio!"
Completion of this mod made the most significant improvement of all! If you
live in an area of high impulse noise it makes the 394 perform like a much
more expensive receivers costing hundreds of dollars more. Weight added to
Main tuning dial makes the radio feel like a "Real Radio" with a heavy
flywheel dial. Approximately 4 oz. of lead was added to the dial and helps
the "Feel " of the dial. RF Gain control mod provides better linearity when
adjust gain of radio. This makes it much more flexible when tuning and
listening to loud or strong SW signals.AGC mod done to reduce speed of AGC
circuit. This makes it easier to listen to on AM or Sideband. Audio hiss
removed from audio circuit by adding more capacitors to filter out some of
the higher audio frequencies. Thus, this gives the audio more punch and
makes it easier to listen to. Hum Reduction- An additional electrolytic
capacitor of at least 2200 UF has been added the rectifer section, smoothing
out the DC and most importantly to reduce any hum when listening to
headphones. Cabinet Shielding- The top and bottom case of the DX-394 have
been covered on the inside with conductive, aluminum tape to shield the
radio from RF interference. Common interference from nearby radio
stations(Broadcast Shortwave or even Ham and CB), computers, TV computers
monitors is greatly reduced or eliminated in most cases. Complete
documentation of these mods will be included with the radio along with the
manual. This very sensitive radio now performs like a high dollar radio! An
outside antenna is a must for this radio to perform at its best! The DX-394
is a proven performer on the SW bands with the KIWA filter and the mods.

$235 includes UPS ground shipping in the continental US.

Old December 18th 04, 07:29 PM
starman

running dogg wrote:

Just out of curiosity: How much did the DX394 sell for when it was being
sold new by Radio Shack? Anybody know? I'm sure I have the answer in a
dusty old PWBR somewhere, but I'm too lazy right now to go digging for
it.

It started at $399. That's why it didn't sell well. When the word got
out on it's mediocre performance, they could hardly give them away.

Old December 20th 04, 03:43 PM
Michael Lawson

"starman" wrote in message
running dogg wrote:

Just out of curiosity: How much did the DX394 sell for when it was

being
sold new by Radio Shack? Anybody know? I'm sure I have the answer

in a
dusty old PWBR somewhere, but I'm too lazy right now to go digging

for
it.

It started at $399. That's why it didn't sell well. When the word

got
out on it's mediocre performance, they could hardly give them away.

Yeah, back when I worked at RS in 1991-1992, we got
really excited that we were going to have a tabletop
SW receiver to sell, since the 2 Meter handheld was
selling like hotcakes. Then, when it came out (after
I left), I realized they didn't even do what they should
have done and gone to Sangean and asked them to
make the guts of the receiver.

Waste of a golden opportunity.

--Mike L.