Old December 22nd 04, 04:56 PM
m II

bpnjensen wrote:

Heck, I used to get 40 states and Canada and Mexico on my old
Astronaut-8 and a 60 ft. wire from Massachusetts, and I didn't know
what I was doing.. MW is not that hard if you just spend a bit of time
at the right moments.

Was the sixty foot wire from Massachusetts attached to a cable company
on the other end? I bet being so close you could wave to their secretary..

mike
Old December 22nd 04, 05:07 PM
Michael Black

) writes:
Back in the 1950's almost any cheap little transistor radio I owned that
had five or six transistors could at night time pick up some radio
stations in New York City and Denver and Detroit and Minneapolis and a
radio station in either (I forget which city now) Los Angeles or
Sacramento.
cuhulin

But one of the immediate problems is closer stations getting in the way of
distant stations. A local station will block the use of that frequency,
unless you wait till it goes off the air for some reason. Same if KDKA
is booming in. The problem of receiving distant stations can't come
into play until you can eliminate closer stations.

Michael

Old December 22nd 04, 05:24 PM
bpnjensen

Howdy - Actually, this set-up predated cable by quite a few years!
Mid-1970s. It was strung up in some of our BIG trees. We were lucky -
way out in the sticks of west-central state, we had no QRM to speak of,
and fine dark skies at night for astronomy. Could hear Arthur Cushen
on RNZ's little transmitter from half a world away easily. KFI - LA
was an infrequent but definite visitor. Could hear Lome, Togo 5047
too, while here it's just a weak heterodyne on SSB.

Lord, how I miss it. Urban California is a sad, sad substitute. sigh
Bruce Jensen

Old December 22nd 04, 05:26 PM
bpnjensen

An MFJ-1025/26 does this pretty nicely if your offending station is
groundwave, a bit more difficult if your station is skywave. It helps
to disable the MW attenuation (easily done, not easily reversible).
Bruce Jensen

Old December 22nd 04, 10:58 PM

The Birth Of Christ And The Birth Of America Are Linked.
www.chuckbaldwinlive.com
cuhulin

Old December 22nd 04, 11:55 PM
tianli

I'm using a Sony ICF-2010 as my primary radio. I
apologize if my question is OT, but I'm interested in picking up
distant MW signals. One of my better catches would have to be WICC on
600 kHz broadcasting from Bridgeport, CT @ 500 W, and approx. 350
miles from me (reciever is in downeast Maine.) Anyway, my goal is to
pick up a signal from each of the 48 contiguous states. In addition to
the 2010 I've got a Terk loop. Is this setup adequate for my goal
(assuming "luck" as a factor)? I'd add that I'm limited to indoor
antennas at this time. I suppose I will need to pay more attention to
timing....

The 2010 is primarily a shortwave radio. For MW you're gonna need a
radio that is just an AM/FM radio, and that has good MW circuitry.
Examples would be a GE Superadio 3 or a Sangean CCRadio.

Huh? I would say that the 2010 and its Sync Detector will beat out the
GE and CC radios every single time.

I have the GE SR2 and a Sony 7600GR. I can tell you that I much prefer by
far
the 7600 with its Sync Detector on MW. Also, the use of SSB mode in the
cluttered MW band is priceless.

Old December 23rd 04, 03:28 AM
Stereophile22

The aero band is like the police and fire bands-if you're tuning across
the band at random you'll be unlikely to hear anything unless you're
near a major airport. This is because the aero, police, and fire bands
are "point to point" transmissions

That's what I thought he meant at firsst, also. The VHF aircraft band.

However, I now think he was talking about the shortwave aircraft bands.

Those do supposedly propagate worldwide.

AR88 Restoration project: Some Questions. joe landy Boatanchors 6 November 26th 04 03:10 PM
Extra Class License Study Material Drink Antenna 13 February 19th 04 08:29 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
BEWARE SPENDING TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS HERE (WAS Electronic Questions) CW Antenna 1 September 5th 03 06:20 PM