Old December 23rd 04, 05:23 AM
starman

Brian wrote:

Well, I would have to disagree with the poster who suggested the 2010 was
not adequate for MW dx. I have a portable quite inferior to yours(dx-398)
with which I logged 1120 KMOX St. Louis, and 1080 WTIC Hartford, Ct. from my
qth in Wilmington, NC last night without any external antenna at all, and
those are just the two that I recall off hand. I do agree however that it
would prove difficult to say the least to log 48 states on MW, but I'll
leave that for someone more knowledgeable to comment on. You'll probably
want to construct a box loop antenna or some such for the mw band. There are
several sites with instructions on how to build various types of mw loops on
the internet. Good luck.

-Brian

The 2010 has more than enough sensitivity and AM selectivity with the
sync' detector for MW Dx'ing. All it needs is a good antenna and
possibly a passive preselector to control intermod's from strong local
MW stations.

Old December 24th 04, 09:30 PM
Maturin

On 23 Dec 2004 01:44:07 GMT, lex (Nobody You Know)
wrote:

Maturin
wrote:

I'm new to the hobby of SWL, and currently studying for a amateur
radio license. I'm using a Sony ICF-2010 as my primary radio. I
apologize if my question is OT, but I'm interested in picking up
distant MW signals. One of my better catches would have to be WICC on
600 kHz broadcasting from Bridgeport, CT @ 500 W, and approx. 350
miles from me (reciever is in downeast Maine.) Anyway, my goal is to
pick up a signal from each of the 48 contiguous states. In addition to
the 2010 I've got a Terk loop. Is this setup adequate for my goal
(assuming "luck" as a factor)? I'd add that I'm limited to indoor
antennas at this time. I suppose I will need to pay more attention to
timing....

The 2010 is one of the best portables for MW DX. Its synchronous detector is a
big help in reducing fading & distortion, and interference from an adjacent
frequency. Choose the upper or lower sideband, whichever one yields the best
reception.

350 miles is nothing, you should be easily hearing stations from 700 miles and
more at night if propogation is good.

At your location, you might be able to occasionally hear signals from Europe or
North Africa, even on LW. Look for signals popping up on frequencies that
don't end in 0. Europe & North African stations appear every 9 khz, as apposed
to 10khz in the USA.

The loop antenna you use should help. However, a steel-frame building or
aluminum-sided house can limit reception.

Check out the National Radio Club (NRC) or International Radio Club of America
(IRCA). Do a Google search to find their websites.

Happy hunting!

Hi,

I mentioned the Bridgeport, CT station because it was the first
station I had to struggle to get. I knew after I heard the WICC call
sign that I was hooked! The farthest station I've received is WHAS
from Louisville, KY (995 Miles or so). WHAS came in almost as clear as
a local signal.

I've noticed that Vermont is absent from my logs so I'm working on
that right now. I'm not sure what to shoot for in VT yet. I'm also
having some difficulty IDing Canadian stations that broadcast in
French.

I checked out the NRC Web page, and I've just joined their AM list
which is pretty neat. I've also ordered their "AM Radio Log", so that
should help. I won't need the computer on with a good reference book.

I'm looking forward to picking up a signal or two from Europe or N.
Africa!

Merry Christmas,
M.
Old December 24th 04, 11:40 PM

A1A to Miami that night.They was in Maryknoll,Ireland playing them
Uillean Pipes over there and it scared the Coon Dog crap out of me! I
had to pull over and listen for a while.I am Schotch Eyrie by ancestry
so I hope y'all understand.(double whammy on me)
cuhulin

Old December 25th 04, 11:59 AM

KDKA is the only radio station East of the Mississippi River that
begin's with a K.If I remember,there is only one other radio station
West of the Mississippi River (I live about forty miles East of the big
muddy) that begin's with a W.But I am old and senile (that married Irish
woman wayyyyyy over across the big pond spells senile with a p) and I
don't remember exactly.
cuhulin

Old December 25th 04, 03:48 PM
Left Coast

Not these days see URL:

http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm
--
LC

Old December 25th 04, 03:55 PM
David

Pittsburgh also has KYW as I recall. Texas is lousy...with W
stations.

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 07:48:49 -0800, "Left Coast"
wrote:

Not these days see URL:

http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm

AR88 Restoration project: Some Questions. joe landy Boatanchors 6 November 26th 04 03:10 PM
Extra Class License Study Material Drink Antenna 13 February 19th 04 08:29 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
BEWARE SPENDING TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS HERE (WAS Electronic Questions) CW Antenna 1 September 5th 03 06:20 PM