Old December 25th 04, 11:30 AM
bluemind

Default Advice for an impoverished beginner.

I have $20 maximum and want a cheap radio. From what I've read so far
my choices are between Jwin, Coby and B+H. Which is best? I know none
of those are 'serious' sets but I have to start somewhere. TV audio
would be nice, and battery life is a consideration too. I live in the
boonies of WV, and will be happy if I get a good BBC signal. Thanks for
the help.

Old December 25th 04, 01:16 PM
Brian Hill

"bluemind" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have $20 maximum and want a cheap radio. From what I've read so far
my choices are between Jwin, Coby and B+H. Which is best? I know none
of those are 'serious' sets but I have to start somewhere. TV audio
would be nice, and battery life is a consideration too. I live in the
boonies of WV, and will be happy if I get a good BBC signal. Thanks for
the help.

You can listen to stuff on those but I would recommend staying away from sw
sets with TV coverage. In my experience, every radio I've ever used with TV
reception was terrible. Those little am/sw sets like you stated above should
be fine. There's guys in here that know more about those little radios than
I do and they can tell you which one's best but stay away from those TV
reception types. Just my 2c

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Old December 25th 04, 01:22 PM

A new $20.00 Shortwave radio sucks!! I own a bunch of Shortwave radio's
I bought for only a few bucks each at places such as Goodwill thrift
stores and fleamarkets and junk shops.
cuhulin

Old December 25th 04, 01:52 PM

Page Three,tain. www.angelfire.com/md2/Ldotvets
Perhaps some of y'all old Warriros might want to post something in
there?
cuhulin

Old December 25th 04, 04:59 PM
bluemind

Thanks for the thrift store idea... I'll check into that.

Old December 25th 04, 01:43 PM
Harveyat8c43z0

Merry Christmas Dude..

IMHO, the reviews on www.radiointel.com
are worth looking into..
TRY try try
to get a Sangean 505A;
- Cost double th munney on sale, but does Way over $40 worth of performance..

Old December 25th 04, 02:12 PM
DeWayne

"Harveyat8c43z0" wrote in message
Merry Christmas Dude..

IMHO, the reviews on www.radiointel.com
are worth looking into..
TRY try try
to get a Sangean 505A;
- Cost double th munney on sale, but does Way over $40 worth of
performance..

Can't hold a candle to the Degen 1103 IMO.

Old December 28th 04, 10:36 PM
Michael Lawson

"DeWayne" wrote in message

"Harveyat8c43z0" wrote in message
Merry Christmas Dude..

IMHO, the reviews on www.radiointel.com
are worth looking into..
TRY try try
to get a Sangean 505A;
- Cost double th munney on sale, but does Way over $40 worth of
performance..

Can't hold a candle to the Degen 1103 IMO.

The Degen is also way more expensive than $20, too.

My vote is to go check eBay and the thrifts. A ham
radio swap meet isn't a bad idea either. I picked up a
direct drive turntable at one for $10, which was a real
steal since the turntable itself only needed minor
tweaking to get to good operation.

--Mike L.

Old December 29th 04, 01:42 AM
DeWayne

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message

Can't hold a candle to the Degen 1103 IMO.

The Degen is also way more expensive than $20, too.

My vote is to go check eBay and the thrifts. A ham
radio swap meet isn't a bad idea either. I picked up a

Just make sure the radio works before you pay for it.

Old December 29th 04, 02:32 PM
D. Martin

I'll sell you my Kaito KA 1101 for 50 bucks, and not a penny less.
Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html

Advice on SW for logging QSO and printing QSL cards. Mauro Equipment 0 October 8th 04 07:01 AM
2m homebrew anenna advice??? Richard G Amirault Equipment 5 February 2nd 04 10:44 PM
Log Advice Pat Shortwave 7 September 24th 03 08:26 PM
need advice aligning a vaccum tube spectrum analyzer The Eternal Squire Homebrew 6 September 11th 03 01:40 PM