Old December 25th 04, 11:30 AM
bluemind

Default Advice for an impoverished beginner.

I have $20 maximum and want a cheap radio. From what I've read so far
my choices are between Jwin, Coby and B+H. Which is best? I know none
of those are 'serious' sets but I have to start somewhere. TV audio
would be nice, and battery life is a consideration too. I live in the
boonies of WV, and will be happy if I get a good BBC signal. Thanks for
the help.

Old December 25th 04, 12:44 PM
dxAce

Radioman390 wrote:

I live in the
boonies of WV, and will be happy if I get a good BBC signal

Your bes bet is to pick up streaming audio from the BBC via the Internet.

He was looking for a 'radio'... do you know what that is?

Boggling.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 25th 04, 01:16 PM
Brian Hill

"bluemind" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have $20 maximum and want a cheap radio. From what I've read so far
my choices are between Jwin, Coby and B+H. Which is best? I know none
of those are 'serious' sets but I have to start somewhere. TV audio
would be nice, and battery life is a consideration too. I live in the
boonies of WV, and will be happy if I get a good BBC signal. Thanks for
the help.

You can listen to stuff on those but I would recommend staying away from sw
sets with TV coverage. In my experience, every radio I've ever used with TV
reception was terrible. Those little am/sw sets like you stated above should
be fine. There's guys in here that know more about those little radios than
I do and they can tell you which one's best but stay away from those TV
reception types. Just my 2c

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Old December 25th 04, 01:22 PM

A new $20.00 Shortwave radio sucks!! I own a bunch of Shortwave radio's
I bought for only a few bucks each at places such as Goodwill thrift
stores and fleamarkets and junk shops.
cuhulin

Old December 25th 04, 01:43 PM
Jim

go to ebay for a used radio. you can get an older multi-band radio for
that price. get an older analog type radio with the linear dial. you can
get a higher quality radio with better performance than a new $20
digitally tuned radio will have. then while you are listening and
learning about shortwave you can save for a $100 digital radio. by the
time you have saved you will know enough to really appreciate the
digital difference. great deals are out there for a patient buyer. i
have several $100- plus radios that i bought NEW for less than $50. in a
years time radioshack will close-out an expensive radio for half price
or less. in the end you can have more radio for less money while still
enjoying your larger and nicer (even if older) analog set the whole
time!

Old December 25th 04, 01:43 PM
Harveyat8c43z0

Merry Christmas Dude..

IMHO, the reviews on www.radiointel.com
are worth looking into..
TRY try try
to get a Sangean 505A;
- Cost double th munney on sale, but does Way over $40 worth of performance..

Old December 25th 04, 01:52 PM

Page Three,tain. www.angelfire.com/md2/Ldotvets
Perhaps some of y'all old Warriros might want to post something in
there?
cuhulin

Old December 25th 04, 01:55 PM
Tim

I tend to agree with the thrift store approach for this one, it may take
a few weeks of searching but when out and about stop in to local
Goodwill and Salvation Army - you'll get a great radio and help others
at the same time. I recently scored a Zenith Trans-Oceanic Royal 3000-1
for $19. Schwweeet! While your at it, rummage for some thrown away TV's,
depending on thier construction many have flyback transformers, newer
ones have switching power supply transformers that have #24 wire that
can be unwound and make a great inexpensive starter antenna. I got 65'
of #24 from a TV transformer once.

Tim H

Old December 25th 04, 02:12 PM
DeWayne

"Harveyat8c43z0" wrote in message
Merry Christmas Dude..

IMHO, the reviews on www.radiointel.com
are worth looking into..
TRY try try
to get a Sangean 505A;
- Cost double th munney on sale, but does Way over $40 worth of
performance..

Can't hold a candle to the Degen 1103 IMO.

Old December 25th 04, 03:39 PM
D. Martin

Inferior, and inexpensive junk, will do nothing but frustrate you.
Save-up a few bucks, and get something decent. Thrift stores might yield
a buried treasure. Just exercise a little patience, maybe utilize an old
coffee can for a "piggy-bank". Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html

Advice on SW for logging QSO and printing QSL cards. Mauro Equipment 0 October 8th 04 07:01 AM
2m homebrew anenna advice??? Richard G Amirault Equipment 5 February 2nd 04 10:44 PM
Log Advice Pat Shortwave 7 September 24th 03 08:26 PM
need advice aligning a vaccum tube spectrum analyzer The Eternal Squire Homebrew 6 September 11th 03 01:40 PM