Old January 4th 05, 06:59 PM
John Plimmer

Mike you are indeed getting old like me.
The Hallicrafters SX-100 and Hammarlund HQ-180AC were indeed great radio's
in their day.
But time marches on - "time and tide waits for no man!"
Undoubtedly the Drake R8B will be a historic radio of its time, the
nineties.
So too will be the new digital radio's of the new millennium.
The old boatanchors are now history, surpassed by the awesome capabilities
of the new era digital radio's.

BTW I cut my teeth on an Eddystone 840

Best wishes for good DX in the New Year

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message

"John Plimmer" wrote in message
Anyone interested in having a look at a side by side comparison

between the
venerable Drake R8B and Icom's latest digital transceiver offering

the 756
PRO III can do so at
http://www.dxing.info/equipment/icom_ic756_plimmer.dx
The Icom has some impressive features for a SW DXer with performance

match

Interesting article, but man, "venerable Drake R8B"??
When I think "venerable", I think a Hallicrafters
SX-100 or a Hammarlund HQ-180AC.

I must be getting old.

--Mike L.

Old January 4th 05, 10:19 PM
Volker Tonn

Brian Denley schrieb:
Volker Tonn wrote:

I have a Sony 2001D/ 2010 and a NRD-525.
The NRD has no sync detection and it runs circles around the Sony in
*every* aspect.

It should!

Yes :-)

I just switch to SSB-mode selecting the sideband and the bandwidth
wich is working best. I'm rarely listenig in AM-mode.

If you had a good sync detector, you might listen more in AM mode. A good
sync detector basically provides auto-ECSS.

AFAIK the NRD-525 *is* in ECSS-mode when switched to AM. It allways adds
its own carrier frequency, except when switched to FM mode.
Nontheless I like SSB much more than AM.

Old January 4th 05, 10:55 PM
dxAce

Volker Tonn wrote:

Brian Denley schrieb:
Volker Tonn wrote:

I have a Sony 2001D/ 2010 and a NRD-525.
The NRD has no sync detection and it runs circles around the Sony in
*every* aspect.

It should!

Yes :-)

I just switch to SSB-mode selecting the sideband and the bandwidth
wich is working best. I'm rarely listenig in AM-mode.

If you had a good sync detector, you might listen more in AM mode. A good
sync detector basically provides auto-ECSS.

AFAIK the NRD-525 *is* in ECSS-mode when switched to AM. It allways adds
its own carrier frequency, except when switched to FM mode.

Never heard that before, but who knows.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 4th 05, 11:19 PM
craigm

Volker Tonn wrote:

Brian Denley schrieb:

Volker Tonn wrote:

I have a Sony 2001D/ 2010 and a NRD-525.
The NRD has no sync detection and it runs circles around the Sony in
*every* aspect.

It should!

Yes :-)

I just switch to SSB-mode selecting the sideband and the bandwidth
wich is working best. I'm rarely listenig in AM-mode.

If you had a good sync detector, you might listen more in AM mode. A
good sync detector basically provides auto-ECSS.

AFAIK the NRD-525 *is* in ECSS-mode when switched to AM. It allways adds
its own carrier frequency, except when switched to FM mode.
Nontheless I like SSB much more than AM.

Actually it is true ECSS. The carrier is derived form the input signal
so there is no need for careful tuning.

craigm
Old January 4th 05, 11:21 PM
dxAce

craigm wrote:

Volker Tonn wrote:

Brian Denley schrieb:

Volker Tonn wrote:

I have a Sony 2001D/ 2010 and a NRD-525.
The NRD has no sync detection and it runs circles around the Sony in
*every* aspect.

It should!

Yes :-)

I just switch to SSB-mode selecting the sideband and the bandwidth
wich is working best. I'm rarely listenig in AM-mode.

If you had a good sync detector, you might listen more in AM mode. A
good sync detector basically provides auto-ECSS.

AFAIK the NRD-525 *is* in ECSS-mode when switched to AM. It allways adds
its own carrier frequency, except when switched to FM mode.
Nontheless I like SSB much more than AM.

Actually it is true ECSS. The carrier is derived form the input signal
so there is no need for careful tuning.

Is it selecting a particular sideband?

craigm

Old January 4th 05, 11:37 PM
Volker Tonn

dxAce schrieb:

Is it selecting a particular sideband?

No. But actually there is no need for that -IMHO-.
Tuning to zerobeat in SSB is easy and rock stable.
Switching to SSB is easily done without shifting. And with some
additional IF-filters you can switch to the bandwidth working best in
conjunktion with bandpass shift.

Old January 4th 05, 11:44 PM
dxAce

Volker Tonn wrote:

dxAce schrieb:

Is it selecting a particular sideband?

No. But actually there is no need for that -IMHO-.
Tuning to zerobeat in SSB is easy and rock stable.
Switching to SSB is easily done without shifting. And with some
additional IF-filters you can switch to the bandwidth working best in
conjunktion with bandpass shift.

OK, I was wondering about the ECSS in AM mode.

Old January 5th 05, 04:06 AM
Brian Denley

Volker Tonn wrote:
dxAce schrieb:

Is it selecting a particular sideband?

No. But actually there is no need for that -IMHO-.
Tuning to zerobeat in SSB is easy and rock stable.
Switching to SSB is easily done without shifting. And with some
additional IF-filters you can switch to the bandwidth working best in
conjunktion with bandpass shift.

Volker:
Yes but in true AM ECSS mode (syncronous demodulation), the zero beating is
automatic and tracks. You don't have to keep adjusting. Drift doesn't
matter, music comes in perfectly, it's locked! That is superior to any
manual ECSS mode.

--
Brian Denley

Old January 5th 05, 04:09 AM
Brian Denley

Guy Atkins wrote:
I've had a Ten-Tec RX340 in the shack for a month, and it
performed significantly worse on tough DX than my modded R-75 and the
RA6790GM I used to have.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

Any RX-340 that gets outperformed by a R75 needs to be taken to the shop.

--
Brian Denley

Old January 5th 05, 04:21 AM
Eric F. Richards

"Brian Denley" wrote:

Guy Atkins wrote:
I've had a Ten-Tec RX340 in the shack for a month, and it
performed significantly worse on tough DX than my modded R-75 and the
RA6790GM I used to have.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

Any RX-340 that gets outperformed by a R75 needs to be taken to the shop.

I would tend to agree, unless his definition of "tough DX" is
extremely narrow.

--
Eric F. Richards,
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- Myron Glass,