Old January 6th 05, 12:28 AM
Stinger

Default Ham Operator Sets New Miles-Per-Watt World Record

This story is posted on Slashdot today:

"A ham radio operator in New London, North Carolina correctly copied an 80
meter CW beacon in Wappingers Falls, New York, a distance of 546.8 miles.
The kicker is, the beacon station, an Elecraft K1, was putting out 40.6 uW
(40.6 millionths of a Watt) -- which works out to 13,467,980 miles per
watt!"

The story and comments thread is he

http://tinyurl.com/3jvgc

Pretty cool.

-- Stinger

Old January 6th 05, 12:32 AM
dxAce

Stinger wrote:

This story is posted on Slashdot today:

"A ham radio operator in New London, North Carolina correctly copied an 80
meter CW beacon in Wappingers Falls, New York, a distance of 546.8 miles.
The kicker is, the beacon station, an Elecraft K1, was putting out 40.6 uW
(40.6 millionths of a Watt) -- which works out to 13,467,980 miles per
watt!"

The story and comments thread is he

http://tinyurl.com/3jvgc

Pretty cool.

-- Stinger

Cool?

I've done far better than that mileage wise with some HIFER beacons.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 6th 05, 12:52 AM
Stinger

"dxAce" wrote in message

Stinger wrote:

This story is posted on Slashdot today:

"A ham radio operator in New London, North Carolina correctly copied an
80
meter CW beacon in Wappingers Falls, New York, a distance of 546.8 miles.
The kicker is, the beacon station, an Elecraft K1, was putting out 40.6
uW
(40.6 millionths of a Watt) -- which works out to 13,467,980 miles per
watt!"

The story and comments thread is he

http://tinyurl.com/3jvgc

Pretty cool.

-- Stinger

Cool?

I've done far better than that mileage wise with some HIFER beacons.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

No doubt. But the story isn't simply distance, it's that the transmitter
was putting out only 40.6 millionths of a Watt and it was copied correctly
by a HAM over 540 miles away.

Relax -- I'm still trying to hear Diego Garcia, and I very much appreciate
your alerting me when they're broadcasting. Sooner or later, I'm going to
bag 'em.

-- Stinger

Old January 6th 05, 01:31 AM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"dxAce" wrote in message

| Stinger wrote:
|
| This story is posted on Slashdot today:
|
| "A ham radio operator in New London, North Carolina correctly copied an
80
| meter CW beacon in Wappingers Falls, New York, a distance of 546.8
miles.
| The kicker is, the beacon station, an Elecraft K1, was putting out 40.6
uW
| (40.6 millionths of a Watt) -- which works out to 13,467,980 miles per
| watt!"
|
| The story and comments thread is he
|
| http://tinyurl.com/3jvgc
|
| Pretty cool.
|
| -- Stinger
|
| Cool?
|
| I've done far better than that mileage wise with some HIFER beacons.
|
| dxAce
| Michigan
| USA

HIFERS tend to be rated at far more than one watt.

(From the FWIW Department)

--
Steve Lawrence
KAØPMD

"If a man wants his dreams to come true then he must wake up."
- Anonymous

Old January 6th 05, 02:00 AM
m II

Stephen M.H. Lawrence wrote:
"dxAce" wrote in message

| Stinger wrote:
|
| This story is posted on Slashdot today:
|
| "A ham radio operator in New London, North Carolina correctly copied an
80
| meter CW beacon in Wappingers Falls, New York, a distance of 546.8
miles.
| The kicker is, the beacon station, an Elecraft K1, was putting out 40.6
uW
| (40.6 millionths of a Watt) -- which works out to 13,467,980 miles per
| watt!"
|
| The story and comments thread is he
|
| http://tinyurl.com/3jvgc
|
| Pretty cool.
|
| -- Stinger
|
| Cool?
|
| I've done far better than that mileage wise with some HIFER beacons.
|
| dxAce
| Michigan
| USA

HIFERS tend to be rated at far more than one watt

Are they as powerful as the Ace's ego? THAT reaches around the globe!

mike

Old January 6th 05, 04:24 AM
dxAce

Stinger wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Stinger wrote:

[...]

Yes, and my point was that I've copied low power (lower power, please read) over
a longer distance.

Old January 6th 05, 04:25 AM
dxAce

"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

| Stinger wrote:
|
| This story is posted on Slashdot today:
|
| "A ham radio operator in New London, North Carolina correctly copied an
80
| meter CW beacon in Wappingers Falls, New York, a distance of 546.8
miles.
| The kicker is, the beacon station, an Elecraft K1, was putting out 40.6
uW
| (40.6 millionths of a Watt) -- which works out to 13,467,980 miles per
| watt!"
|
| The story and comments thread is he
|
| http://tinyurl.com/3jvgc
|
| Pretty cool.
|
| -- Stinger
|
| Cool?
|
| I've done far better than that mileage wise with some HIFER beacons.
|
| dxAce
| Michigan
| USA

HIFERS tend to be rated at far more than one watt.

Not true... FWIW

(From the FWIW Department)

Old January 6th 05, 04:29 AM
dxAce

m II wrote:

Stephen M.H. Lawrence wrote:
"dxAce" wrote in message

| Stinger wrote:
|
| This story is posted on Slashdot today:
|
| "A ham radio operator in New London, North Carolina correctly copied an
80
| meter CW beacon in Wappingers Falls, New York, a distance of 546.8
miles.
| The kicker is, the beacon station, an Elecraft K1, was putting out 40.6
uW
| (40.6 millionths of a Watt) -- which works out to 13,467,980 miles per
| watt!"
|
| The story and comments thread is he
|
| http://tinyurl.com/3jvgc
|
| Pretty cool.
|
| -- Stinger
|
| Cool?
|
| I've done far better than that mileage wise with some HIFER beacons.
|
| dxAce
| Michigan
| USA

HIFERS tend to be rated at far more than one watt

Are they as powerful as the Ace's ego? THAT reaches around the globe!

I'd be willing to compare my stats with yours any day of the week 'tard....

Want to take me on?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

mike

Old January 6th 05, 02:16 PM
Stinger

"dxAce" wrote in message

Stinger wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Stinger wrote:

[...]

Again, your comment is relevant if your "lower power, please read" is equal
to or less than 40.6 millionths of a Watt.

I'm certainly no expert on HIFER beacons, but I think it's safe to say they
broadcast at a significantly higher power than 40.6 MILLIONTHS of a Watt.

-- Stinger

P.S. -- At the feast of ego, everyone leaves hungry.

Old January 6th 05, 02:48 PM
dxAce

Stinger wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Stinger wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Stinger wrote:

[...]

I'm not an expert on anything either... I'm just damn good!

LOL

dxAce
Michigan
USA