Old January 7th 05, 08:47 PM
wigg

Default Sony 7600GR any thoughts?

Looking to fix or replace dead 7600D (will not power up).
Looks like could get the GR for the cost of the repair.
Any user thoughts gents?
Thanks
Garry

Old January 7th 05, 09:31 PM
D. Martin

These guys have talked up the 7600GR to such a degree, I've ordered
one. We'll see. The reviews seem favorable. Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html

Old January 7th 05, 10:12 PM

The 7600D was a fine radio. I enjoyed the ICF-2001 version for several
years because it was so easy to use and did a decent job of pulling in
stations. the keyboard on mine finally started to give out.

Unfortunately even if you replace the CPU or whatever is wrong you will
still have 17 year old switches, display, etc. The new 7600 is several
steps better in terms of memories, sync detection ssb reception, etc.
And it's probably a bit quieter too (mine had a moderate level of
internal hiss). I would spend the $130.00 for the new one rather than
fix the venerable 7600D.

Old January 7th 05, 10:55 PM

Once upon a time long long ago in the year of '83 Sony introduced the
first of several successful compact digital sw receivers. Long out of
production it is venerated by many swl's as an early and possibly first
example of how miniaturized electronics and thoughtful design could
result in a high performing and pocketable shortwave radio. It
occupies such a warm place in the heart of at least two swl's that one
has bandied about the idea of restoring a 7600D.

dxAce wrote:
wrote:

The 7600D was a fine radio. I enjoyed the ICF-2001 version for

several
years because it was so easy to use and did a decent job of pulling

in
stations. the keyboard on mine finally started to give out.

Unfortunately even if you replace the CPU or whatever is wrong you

will
still have 17 year old switches, display, etc. The new 7600 is

several
steps better in terms of memories, sync detection ssb reception,

etc.
And it's probably a bit quieter too (mine had a moderate level of
internal hiss). I would spend the $130.00 for the new one rather

than
fix the venerable 7600D.

Interesting how the term 'venerable' is being bandied about of late.

;-)

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 8th 05, 08:04 PM
Stephan Grossklass

wigg schrieb:

Looking to fix or replace dead 7600D (will not power up).
Looks like could get the GR for the cost of the repair.
Any user thoughts gents?

Under these circumstances getting the 7600GR (and selling / giving the
7600D to someone who can fix it) seems like the better option. The 7600D
was good in its day, but the current model is better in a number of
aspects.

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W
Old January 8th 05, 09:53 PM
Michael

"wigg" wrote in message
Looking to fix or replace dead 7600D (will not power up).
Looks like could get the GR for the cost of the repair.
Any user thoughts gents?

Id say the better way to go as far as a "value for dollar" solution is to
get the new 7600gr. I have a 7600gr and I absolutely love it. The ssb
selectable am sync makes it my favorite of all my portables for program
listening. The audio quality is good, the sensitivity is very good an the
selectivity is very good. I also like it a lit for medium wave listening.
The 7600gr with all its features is a nice step up from the 7600d that you
have. If you spend money to have an older radio fixed, you'll still have a
radio with a lot of miles on it and far less features and capabilities of
the 7600gr.

Michael

Old January 9th 05, 12:29 AM
D. Martin

Well, I changed my mind. I'm getting the YB400PE, from heartland
america dot com. Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html

Old January 9th 05, 12:59 AM
johndobbs

D. Martin wrote:
Well, I changed my mind. I'm getting the YB400PE, from heartland
america dot com. Darren

That's quite a deal at 100 dollars for the YB400 at Heartland. And that
includes the adaptor too. For small portables, you can't go wrong with
either radio (7600GR or the YB400). The 400 has great audio for its
size. Let us know how you like the 400 once you had a chance to play
with it.

Old January 9th 05, 01:47 AM
RHF

WIGG,
..
I have the Sony ICF-SW7600GR and like the
Radio very much as my on-the-go Travel Radio.
..
Stand-a-lone the Sony ICF-SW7600GR is a very
good AM/FM Shortwave Radio and at it's "Price
Point" with the AM SycnDet it is a 'Best Buy'.
..
TIP - I use the Sony ICF-SW7600GR with the
Sony AN-LP1 'portable' Shortwave Antenna
and together they both perform super.
..
FWIW - Found a medium size cosmetic bag
that allows the Sony ICF-SW7600GR and its
AC Adapter and Accessories to be placed in
the right side compartment; and the Sony
AN-LP1 Shortwave Antenna to be folded-up
an placed in the left side compartment.
The whole thing Folds-Up and Zips together
and the Radio and Antenna are protected
and Ready-to-Pick-Up-and-Go.
..
READ - Sony ICF-SW7600 / Sony ICF-SW7600G /
Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio
Information & Links
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...86e2c6735c3459

..
READ : The Sony ICF-SW7600 Series Page
[Was: Sony ICF-7600 Analog Help]
aka: Sony 7600 Information Resource
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...acbe683366a500

..
READ - Antenna Recommendations for the Sony ICF-SW7600GR
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...c4c12c1284c635

..
For more Information about the Sony ICF-SW7600GR
Check-Out the two YAHOO ! eGroups for the Sony ICF-SW7600
Series Radios: ICF-SW-7600 / ICF-SW-7600G / ICF-SW-7600GR
..
* Sony ICF-SW7600 eGroup on YAHOO !
Focus on both the Sony ICF-SW7600G and Sony ICF-SW7600GR

* Sony ICF-SW7600GR eGroup on YAHOO !
Primary Focus is on the Sony ICF-SW7600GR
..