Old January 8th 05, 05:35 PM
dxAce

Default (OT) Ouch!

Anyone else seen or heard any more about this incident?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/08/nuc...ine/index.html

(Thanks to 'clifford.web' for posting this on WUN)

As another poster to WUN stated... #$@& happens. He also pointed out that they
probably hit a sea mount.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 8th 05, 05:46 PM

dxAce wrote:
Anyone else seen or heard any more about this incident?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/08/nuc...ine/index.html

(Thanks to 'clifford.web' for posting this on WUN)

As another poster to WUN stated... #$@& happens. He also pointed out

that they
probably hit a sea mount.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Hmmm. This may or may not be related, but I did hear a very short
exchange about a rescue operation this morning on 8983 khz, which is a
Coast Guard frequency. I haven't heard anything else, though (and would
have posted it here, if I had).

Steve

Old January 8th 05, 09:20 PM

I read about it this morning at Drudge Report.I don't know much about
Submarines but about seven years ago a guy who was a Submariner said on
a late night radio talk show I was listening to said Submarines are
never suppose to sit on the bottom.Something about sand and other things
can get into the Submarine's water intake grills and foul things up.
cuhulin

Old January 9th 05, 02:01 AM
dxAce

Bill Crocker wrote:

What is a sea mount?

An undersea mountain.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 10th 05, 03:48 PM
bpnjensen

I heard some crewmen died - very sad. Luckily, no breach of the
nuclear containment.

Bruce Jensen

Old January 10th 05, 05:14 PM

Some guys on/in the Submarine died? I am,Sorry.
cuhulin

Old January 10th 05, 06:27 PM
bpnjensen

Here's a late brief from China (!) Just one dead, but still :-( A
couple dozen injuries.

Bruce Jensen

US submarine docks at Guam after accident

www.chinaview.cn 2005-01-11 00:12:30

WASHINGTON, Jan. 10 (Xinhuanet) -- The US Los Angeles-class nuclear
submarine, USS San Francisco, which ran aground on Friday killing one
sailor, arrived in Guam Monday afternoon Guam time,the US Pacific Fleet
said.

Joseph Allen Ashley, a machinist's mate 2nd class, died Sunday from
injuries suffered during the accident, and 23 other sailors were
treated for injuries such as broken bones, lacerations, bruises and a
back injury, the Pacific Fleet said in a statement.

The submarine had a crew of 137 and was enroute to Brisbane,
Australian for a port visit at the time of the incident, approximately
350 nautical miles (about 648 km) south of Guam.

The Navy was investigating the cause and circumstances of the
incident, the statement said.

Navy officials said there was no damage to the sub's nuclear
reactor. Enditem

Old January 11th 05, 02:21 AM
Harveyat8c43z0

What is a sea mount?

- Its something a friggin Submarine should Never hit at 35 MPH...

Thanks,
Bill Crocker