Old January 10th 05, 12:31 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Mark S. Holden wrote:

He may regret it after seeing the radio in person, but the high bidder
bid at least $21k more than the next highest bidder to meet the reserve.

I would wager the buyer saw it in person before placing their bid.

Old January 10th 05, 12:36 AM
Radioman390

Did you how many bidders there were?

All of them with excellent feedbacks.
Old January 10th 05, 12:52 AM
Brenda Ann

"Radioman390" wrote in message
Did you how many bidders there were?

All of them with excellent feedbacks.

This from a poster in rec.antiques.radio+phono:

The seller of the Zenith Stratosphere 1000Z just e-mailed me. Apparently the
$50,000 bid was made in error according to the high bidder. The 1000Z WILL
BE
RE-LISTED with a new reserve and "buy it now" feature. The last legitimate
bid
was $28,700.

Old January 10th 05, 01:08 AM
Brenda Ann

"beerbarrel" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:52:42 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

"Radioman390" wrote in message
Did you how many bidders there were?

All of them with excellent feedbacks.

This from a poster in rec.antiques.radio+phono:

The seller of the Zenith Stratosphere 1000Z just e-mailed me. Apparently

the
$50,000 bid was made in error according to the high bidder. The 1000Z

WILL
BE
RE-LISTED with a new reserve and "buy it now" feature. The last

legitimate
bid
was $28,700.

hahaha....thats funny

My guess is a spouse that found out their hubby spent $50K on a radio.. and
gave him an ultimatum..

Old January 10th 05, 01:34 AM
Brenda Ann

"beerbarrel" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:08:50 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Radioman390" wrote in message
Did you how many bidders there were?

All of them with excellent feedbacks.

This from a poster in rec.antiques.radio+phono:

The seller of the Zenith Stratosphere 1000Z just e-mailed me.

Apparently
the
$50,000 bid was made in error according to the high bidder. The 1000Z

WILL
BE
RE-LISTED with a new reserve and "buy it now" feature. The last

legitimate
bid
was $28,700.

hahaha....thats funny

My guess is a spouse that found out their hubby spent $50K on a radio..

and
gave him an ultimatum..

I doubt there was any ultimatum offered...It was probably more like
one quick bang!

hehe

Are we talking a rolling pin 'attitude adjustment', or a Smith and Wesson
one?

Old January 10th 05, 02:17 AM
Tony Meloche

beerbarrel wrote:

wrote:

[...]

hehe...In this case I would have to choose S&W!

Yeah - my wife is the most supportive and loving person in the world
to my hobbies, bless her. But if I suddenly told her I'd spent fifty
G's on a 67 year old radio, my last sight would have been her standing
over me reloading.

Tony
Old January 10th 05, 02:43 AM
running dogg

Brenda Ann wrote:

"Invader3K" wrote in message
ups.com...
Forgive my ignorance, but what is so special about this radio that
would fetch such an obscenely high amount of money? I wonder if the bid
is a joke. Good luck to the seller on collecting that.

Radioman390 wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9316&ssPage N
ame=STRK:MEWA:IT#ebayphotohosting

Zenith Stratosphere's are one of the most collectable radios, and they DO
fetch extremely high prices. The one in question will no doubt fetch over
$100,000 for the buyer once it's been completely restored. Radios like the
Sparton "Sleigh" (a blue mirror-faced radio with otherwise pretty common AA5
innards) can go for as much as $5000. And that's a table radio.

It's ridiculous what an antique radio can go for nowadays. Even the most
Plain Jane AA5 wood table radio can go for hundreds of dollars. I
remember when you could go into an antique store (a major one, not a
dusty little forgotten place in some hick town) and have yourself a nice
5 tube wood cabinet table radio for $60. And it WORKED! This was back in
the early 90s, when I was collecting. Nowadays a wood table radio that
has major veneer damage and does not work can go for several hundred
dollars. If it's a Zenith "black dial" (a radio that has a distinctive
big black dial) it can go for more. And the rarest Zeniths can fetch
absolutely obscene prices. Mirror radios are extremely rare, and fetched
big bucks even when I was in the hobby, but the prices being asked and
paid for even the blandest pre WW2 table radios nowadays are absolutely
astonishing. ONE HUNDRED GRAND for a radio that's nearly 70 years old?
Give me a break!

Old January 10th 05, 02:47 AM
running dogg

wrote:

[...]

And then, after washing the blood off, she would have gone to your
computer and promptly emailed the seller that the bid was made "in
error".

Old January 10th 05, 02:54 AM
Radioman390

there were 10 different legitimate bidders who bid from $20K to almost $30K.
I think the winning bidder who bid only once at $50K was out of his mind...if
that's a mistake, but it takes two clicks to bid. The reality check came after
the bidding ended.

EBay should throw him off EBay, after his wife auctions his genitals for a
transplant.
Old January 10th 05, 03:20 AM

Is that really any sillier than someone paying $130,000 for a 1967
Mustang, $350,000 for a MB Gullwing, $250,000 for a Pembroke table,
$10,000 for a postage stamp? I've seen them all at auctions over the
years.

There are collectors of almost anything, and some of them have the
money to spend. Just wish I was the seller of that old wooden radio.