Old January 10th 05, 04:16 AM
Don Brady

Default Shortwave in my car?

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 21:03:02 -0600, Dogger wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had a solution to listening to shortwave
in a car?
The only model I have seen the Sony XR-CA620X. This is a cassette style
in dash receiver sold overseas. I think it was launched in 2001 so I am
not sure of its availability. Sony also made a XR-4900 that had a CD
player but Google only yields some links to Russia and or manuals for
that radio. The cassette model looks like it may still be available from
the UAE, Jumbo Electronics.

Also Jackys in UAE. Many in the U.S, including me have bought from them
Their catalog is a little vague right now though....

Wouldn't a Wide band Communications receiver be illegal in some
states?... so I was thinking of just adding the SW bands, or some other
bands that are benign. I saw some more modern in dash styles offering
FM/MW/LW or long wave..That can't mean the same as shortwave?

My question is, are there any other In Dash CD players with Shortwave MW
and FM?
What are some options for expanding my radio reception in my car?

Dogger

Old January 10th 05, 12:44 PM

1)Get a ham license. Every state law that I know of allows
hams to have radio that will recieve police frequencies
in there car. However not all LEO will understand. The
KY AG wrote a lettr for hams to carry in KY to help avoid
this hassle. I supect the ARRL or the rec.radio.scanner
group can provide specifics on a state by state case.
2)Be prepared for some interesting noise problems. Modern
engines/brakes/suspenesion often have rather noisy CPU
control systems that produce odd noises in the 5~30MHz
frequency range.
3)The ignition system in modern engines is a killer noise source.
Your radio will need a very good noise blanker.
4)It is very difficult to get a really effective SW antenna on a car or
truck.
An active antenna will work, but tends to magnify the mentined
noise
sources.
Terry

Old January 10th 05, 05:08 PM
jtaylor

"Dogger" wrote in message
[...]

Your best bet is the Philips DC777, after that possibly the Kenwood RZ1 or
the Icom R100. All those are no longer made, but ebay is your friend. If
you want more limited SW (at a more reasonable price) some of the various
flavours of grundig WKC-models are also often offered there. You will find
more of them via the advanced search page - select "any country" as the
source, and don't be surprised if you pay more in shipping than for the
radio.

Old January 10th 05, 05:22 PM
dxAce

David wrote:

Get a Sirius radio. They carry almost all the major International
broadcasters.

Go pull your pud, 'tard boy.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 10th 05, 05:34 PM
Brian Hill

"dxAce" wrote in message

David wrote:

Get a Sirius radio. They carry almost all the major International
broadcasters.

Go pull your pud, 'tard boy.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

He doesn't have a pud to pull.

B.H.

Old January 10th 05, 07:10 PM
David

The RZ1 is an unsupported nightmare. Unless you want to do this as
some kind of nerd hobby thing, the satellite radio option makes a lot
of sense. Sirius carries the BBC, plus WRN and will keep you
interested. Otherwise, make me an offer for my HF150. I'll even
throw in an adaptor for Motorola to SO-239.

Old January 11th 05, 04:46 PM

Goodluck on the license and the SW in the car.
The license will be the easy part.
I have all but given up on trying to de-noise my 1991 Civic.
Between the CPU/ECM and the igniton system I have the
best noise generator I ever owned. It is very usefull for
testing the effectivness of "noise blankers".
Terry

Old January 11th 05, 09:14 PM
big boy now

Look out for a ( Kenwood RZ1 ) good receiver for fitting in your car it is
the same size as a car radio....
old but looks good in any new car and very sort after....

"Dogger" wrote in message
In article ,
Dogger wrote:

[...]

Oh, I also found this... these radios seem to have limited SW coverage.
I wonder if the tuning step for the AM bands could be changed from 9 to
10?
check it
http://www.becker.de/beckerCC21/www_...sp?language=En

--
Puttin' the Free back in FreeStyle

Old January 12th 05, 12:25 AM

In other words,,, Haunt the junkyards for good car radios.I have bought
quite a few real good old tube type car radios that way before.Most I
ever paid was about $5.00.
cuhulin

Shortwave Listener (SWL) Frequency & Schedule Resources that are available "OnLine" { Links / URLS } RHF Shortwave 1 January 6th 05 04:00 PM
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Frequency & Schedule Resources that are available "OnLine" { Links / URLS } RHF Shortwave 0 January 6th 05 12:01 PM
Too late for DRM on shortwave? Mike Terry Shortwave 9 November 29th 04 03:50 PM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Joe S. Shortwave 2 July 18th 03 04:50 AM