Old January 11th 05, 06:38 PM
big boy now

Default Active Antenna recomendation,s wanted

I am about to buy another Active antenna i have about £200 for the antenna
and coax....
there are lots of active antennas to choose from active loops from wellbrook
and active antennas from dressler these are just two..
what i want to know is are you using an active antenna if so what make and
model is it and how does it perform.....
i want to buy the best for my money....would i need an antenna rotor if i
was to get a loop antenna
Thanks: John

Old January 11th 05, 08:05 PM

big boy now wrote:
I am about to buy another Active antenna i have about =A3200 for the

antenna
and coax....
there are lots of active antennas to choose from active loops from

wellbrook
and active antennas from dressler these are just two..
what i want to know is are you using an active antenna if so what

make and
model is it and how does it perform.....
i want to buy the best for my money....would i need an antenna rotor

if i
was to get a loop antenna
Thanks: John

I decided to plunk for a Wellbrook ALA-330S. I was very nervous about
spending a lot of money on an antenna, but the Wellbrook's many
positive reviews finally convinced me to take the 'plunge'. It turned
out to be the right decision. The Wellbrook works very well and is the
perfect choice for someone, like me, who lives in or near an urban
area. It works beautifully...no kidding.=20

Steve

Old January 11th 05, 08:50 PM
big boy now

Steve do you have your wellbrook mounted on an antenna rotor..
how far from your home do you have your wellbrook located.
as i read on the wellbrook website that they recommend the loop to be
mounted as far as possible from your home...
i have quite a large garden about 45 feet long by about 20 feet.
20 feet being the longest distance from my house...
is it just me or is the entire HF band suffering bad conditions as in the
daytime hours my receiver is receiving 9+ of mush and i can hardly hear any
stations over this mush only very local transmitting stations. and it don't
seem to get any better at night time with only a slight drop in mush.....i
may well order the Wellbrook.
is there much difference in the wellbrook ALA-330S and theALA-1530 loop....i
normally listen into most of the HF bands from 5.000kHz to 30MHz depending
on what i want to listen to and the time of day or night..

John

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 11th 05, 09:37 PM

big boy now wrote:
[...]

I am using the ALA-330S under less than ideal circumstances, but it
still performs extremely well. I live in an apartment building in
Brooklyn, with no yard and no garden whatsoever. So, I really had to
think carefully about how I would use this antenna. I had little luck
with it indoors, as it picked up too much QRM. Others find that it
works well in the attic, but I don't have an attic. Before I even
ordered the Wellbrook, I used a small portable radio to demarcate, at
least roughly, the boundaries of the 'noise envelope' surrounding my
building. I found that whenever I could get out a mere six feet (that's
right, just six feet!) from the building, reception cleared up
*dramatically*. My first plan was to put the Wellbrook on the roof of
my apartment building, but it's especially noisy up there with power
lines, etc. So, at present, I have the Wellbrook mounted on a
horizontal mast that is attached to a fire escape and that extends
about 9 feet away from the building. I know this scenario is far from
the one Wellbrook recommends, but you'd be surprised at how quiet
reception is for me now. If you read some of the reviews available on
the Wellbrook website, you'll notice some of them also remarking that
placement of the antenna doesn't seem as critical as the Wellbrook
literature suggests. It's not at all far from my building;
nevertheless, my reception is whisper quiet.

I do not currently have the Wellbrook attached to a rotor. Almost
everything I listen to falls between 3 and 30 mhz, and the signals
there (especially at 5+ mhz) just aren't very directional--or so it
seems to me. Others may disagree about what's best. I found it very
important to get the antenna *outdoors*, but it seems omnidirectional
on the frequencies that interest me.

The ALA-330S is optimized for SW and is designed to attenuate strong MW
signals. In fact, I find that it still works very well on MW and I have
never had any problem with overloading. At the same time, I understand
that the ALA-1530 is optimized for MW, but nevertheless performs
admirably on SW. I went for the 330S, since SW is my primary interest.
I doubt you could go wrong with either antenna.

I suggest that you consult the excellent reviews of this antenna that
are available in this group, on the Wellbrook website and elsewhere on
the internet. This is an especially good one, I think:
http://www.radiointel.com/review-wellbrook.htm

Good luck!

Steve

Old January 11th 05, 10:40 PM
big boy now

Steve thank for that review link its made my mind up.
i will be ordering the wellbrook ALA-330S in the next couple of days...i
shouldn't have any problem ordering the 330s as i will just phone wellbrook
direct and have one delivered the day after i place my order....i am out all
day Thursday so there is no point in ordering tomorrow. i will more than
likely order when i get in Thursday for delivery Friday. if i get home in
time to call wellbrook.
i am living in quite a small village you might say good location but one
thing our village is located very close to Heathrow Air Port...
if i stand at my front door or in my back garden i can watch plains taking
off and landing and i don't need any binoculars....
i sometimes listen in but i like HF / SW ..

john

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 12th 05, 02:47 AM

Well, let us know how you make out. I think you'll be very pleasantly
surprised by the ALA-330s.

Steve

Old January 12th 05, 04:33 PM
big boy now

Steve
i have just got off the phone to wellbrook antennas.
and i was told that i was better placing my order through the short wave
shop as wellbrook don't have facilities to take payment by cheque. not even
for uk customers.
so my next day delivery is out of the window.
i have just phoned the short-wave shop up and i have placed an order for a
wellbrook ALA-330S and i am expecting delivery of the antenna on Wednesday
of next week....another new toy to play about with... and another antenna to
add to my garden....
antennas i already have in my garden are (1) random long wire antenna (2)
full sized G5RV for the HF amateur bands (3) Wide band discone for VHF &
UHF...i also have a couple of home made antennas mounted in my loft
space.....
Will let you know when and how i find the antenna at my location..

John

ups.com...

Old January 13th 05, 01:42 AM
tianli

antennas i already have in my garden are (1) random long wire antenna (2)
full sized G5RV for the HF amateur bands (3) Wide band discone for VHF &
UHF...i also have a couple of home made antennas mounted in my loft
space.....
Will let you know when and how i find the antenna at my location..

John,
I have also been considering a Wellbrook loop mainly for noise reduction.
I would be especially interested in your review as you have
a decent assortment of wire to compare it to.

I'll be looking for your post!

Old January 13th 05, 05:04 PM
big boy now

Hi tianli
Look at this review read it makes for good advice this is just
what made me decide to order the wellbrook...
Click hear for the review

Old January 15th 05, 08:53 PM
tianli

Made in Nederland - 490 Euro, ouch!
http://www.transonic-electronics.nl/...ansonic-electr
onics.nl/N_art_338.html

yes i did consider the DX1 Pro made by rf systems.
but at twice the price of the wellbrook i decided to go for the wellbrook

as
i have read many highly recommended views for the wellbrook and couldn't
find much information about the DX 1 pro

Antenna Advice Chris Shortwave 5 September 20th 04 02:04 AM
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #662 Tedd Mirgliotta Info 0 May 28th 04 09:49 PM
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #619 Tedd Mirgliotta General 0 July 20th 03 08:58 PM
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #617 Tedd Mirgliotta General 0 July 6th 03 10:10 PM