Old January 16th 05, 06:45 AM

Default If

If I was going to spend about $400.00 to about $500.00 for an American
made table model Shortwave Radio,what would be the best choice for me? I
am not interested in Chinese made radios at all.
cuhulin

Old January 16th 05, 08:17 AM
Brenda Ann

wrote in message
If I was going to spend about $400.00 to about $500.00 for an American
made table model Shortwave Radio,what would be the best choice for me? I
am not interested in Chinese made radios at all.
cuhulin

I don't believe there ARE any US made SW radios.. or for that matter, any
radios. Even Drake is made overseas, IIRC..

Old January 16th 05, 08:54 AM
starman

Brenda Ann wrote:

wrote in message
If I was going to spend about $400.00 to about $500.00 for an American
made table model Shortwave Radio,what would be the best choice for me? I
am not interested in Chinese made radios at all.
cuhulin

I don't believe there ARE any US made SW radios.. or for that matter, any
radios. Even Drake is made overseas, IIRC..

The Drake R8B is still made in Ohio but it's priced well beyond his
range.
Old January 16th 05, 09:02 AM
DeWayne

wrote in message
If I was going to spend about $400.00 to about $500.00 for an American
made table model Shortwave Radio,what would be the best choice for me? I
am not interested in Chinese made radios at all.
cuhulin

The only one I know of is a used Drake R8 and it is a fantastic radio IMO.
This would fit right in to your price and if you're careful you will be VERY
happy.

Old January 16th 05, 02:12 PM
Mark S. Holden

Brenda Ann wrote:
wrote in message

If I was going to spend about $400.00 to about $500.00 for an American
made table model Shortwave Radio,what would be the best choice for me? I
am not interested in Chinese made radios at all.
cuhulin

I don't believe there ARE any US made SW radios.. or for that matter, any
radios. Even Drake is made overseas, IIRC..

I think Ten-tec and Palstar are made in the USA too.

There's also Patcom - but I've yet to see a review on their rigs, and
they're out of this price range.

Old January 16th 05, 02:50 PM

I never heard of Patcom shortwave radios before.I knew Drake,Ten-Tec and
Palstar radios are made in America.I will start checking Universal-Radio
and eBay.Of course,if I had my druthers,I druther have a Watkins-Johnson
shortwave radio (I don't think they are being made anymore) but I know
they are way out of my price range.Thanks for the information,folks.
cuhulin

Old January 16th 05, 07:18 PM
Telamon

In article ,
"Brenda Ann" wrote:

wrote in message
If I was going to spend about $400.00 to about $500.00 for an American
made table model Shortwave Radio,what would be the best choice for me? I
am not interested in Chinese made radios at all.
cuhulin

I don't believe there ARE any US made SW radios.. or for that matter, any
radios. Even Drake is made overseas, IIRC..

Drake R8 series is USA made.
Ten-Tec is USA made.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 17th 05, 04:37 AM
running dogg

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
"Brenda Ann" wrote:

wrote in message
If I was going to spend about $400.00 to about $500.00 for an American
made table model Shortwave Radio,what would be the best choice for me? I
am not interested in Chinese made radios at all.
cuhulin

I don't believe there ARE any US made SW radios.. or for that matter, any
radios. Even Drake is made overseas, IIRC..

Drake R8 series is USA made.
Ten-Tec is USA made.

And they're expensive because of it. There are far more Japanese made
tabletops, such as Yaesu, especially from the 80s before China started
making all the radios. Yaesu's are inexpensive too, and IMO offer the
most bang for the buck.

Old January 17th 05, 05:02 AM

Ten-Tec company is just right up the road from me,so to speak and so is
MFJ,MFJ company is in the same State of confusion I live in.
cuhulin